Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2020, 21:30   #91
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy few mates View Post
Thanks, so I just let them fill in the export certificate (section 11) of the form and tear that section off and I need the rest of the form?
Yes, but they don't even need the export slip. A letter from them to state car exported is enough. Let them have the slip if it keeps them happy.

Clarify this with them in advance by providing the link that details the procedure to avoid any snags on the day you are doing the deal.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2020, 23:05   #92
billy few mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel View Post
Yes, but they don't even need the export slip. A letter from them to state car exported is enough. Let them have the slip if it keeps them happy.

Clarify this with them in advance by providing the link that details the procedure to avoid any snags on the day you are doing the deal.
Thanks for that, I've bought a few cars in the past from NI and the uk but in each case they were dealers who knew the story and just gave me the whole form. This is a private sale and the current owners want to do everything by the book so definitely want to hold on to the export section of the logbook. I'd already sent them a link explaining what I need and they've told me they won't do anything with it until I call up to collect it but then they want to send off the export section themselves.
I assume they're worried I won't re register it and continue driving it in their name.
Once I know it's not a problem I'll let them have it, they're being pretty good about everything else and nice people to deal with.
Thanks again for the advice, it's a while since I last did it.
12-06-2020, 03:56   #93
macplaxton

Well the advice over export slips has varied over the years from yes we want a slip back, to no a letter will do. It doesn't really matter as long as they are notified in some way.

However, the current procedure is at the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

Quote:
Taking the vehicle abroad and registering it there
  1. Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book.
  2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter giving the buyer’s name and address.
  3. Give the rest of your log book to the buyer - they’ll need it to register the vehicle in the country they’re going to.

You’ll usually get a refund on your vehicle tax in 4 to 6 weeks. The refund is worked out from the date DVLA gets your ‘permanent export’ section.
You don't need the whole 2-page V5C either, the second page is just slips. The first A4 sheet is fine - the one that has all the vehicle details on.

Front of the first sheet:

Rear of the first sheet:

Current red ones no longer show the previous recorded keeper (GDPR nonsense). I think the older blue ones are still valid (but watch out for dodgy ones) and the really old pre-V5C documents (V5 Vehicle Regsitration Document - not EU-friendly V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate) are no longer valid.

Last edited by macplaxton; 12-06-2020 at 04:10.
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2020, 07:49   #94
billy few mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
Well the advice over export slips has varied over the years from yes we want a slip back, to no a letter will do. It doesn't really matter as long as they are notified in some way.

However, the current procedure is at the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

You don't need the whole 2-page V5C either, the second page is just slips. The first A4 sheet is fine - the one that has all the vehicle details on.

Front of the first sheet:

Rear of the first sheet:

Current red ones no longer show the previous recorded keeper (GDPR nonsense). I think the older blue ones are still valid (but watch out for dodgy ones) and the really old pre-V5C documents (V5 Vehicle Regsitration Document - not EU-friendly V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate) are no longer valid.
Thanks for the link and the two pics, very helpful and clear. In our case the V5 looks fine it shows the date they acquired it and the previous owner so not the latest post-GDPR version.
01-08-2020, 16:38   #95
Yarisbob

Hi All
Firstly apologies for dragging this up again ! I have fallen into this trap as well. Mine is an old car which got forgotton about. The car came from the UK in 2006 with a V5C - This got destroyed in a house fire. The car itself is here all snug in a garage for the last 14 years

At the time we should have sorted the whole thing but here we are with a non runner UK car - an export marker on the DVLA website and a lost storage area.

Reading this thread makes me feel a little anxious.

My plan of action is
Get the car ito a driving condition
I have a good mate in The North who was going to fill in the V62 and get it registered to him but now it looks as if she has to be MOTed and an import form filled.

Just him filling in the V62 and chancing it is probably wishful thinking. He could ring them up and argue that the export marker was a "mistake" but why then did he not register before now ??

This is going to be a complete pain in the backside no doubt but I'm a patient man ...

Bottom line is "Just get the V5C" and save yourself the grief - There is a way out but its painful !!
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 19:10   #96
Isambard

judging by your name, you like your Yarisii. I'd use it for spares for the others you no doubt have/ will have over the next few years. It sounds like it's a lot of trouble for an old car.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion