Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2020, 20:40   #121
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.G View Post
Are the auto choke(s) heating elements electrically powered up now?
No,

They are manually set closed, and open by the heat of the engine, same result.

Neither is the electromagnetic wired to receive power, so that must be manually open, as its running. If it was not manually open, then it would not run.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 21:11   #122
Jeff2

It sounds very good to me in the second last video you posted.

I mean for running with out the air filter.

It really is great to see it going again.
31-07-2020, 21:15   #123
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
And finally

Video Number 5 really shows how we have this engine finally starting up on the button, whenever we flick the innovative Aircraft/Ignition flip switch.

Its like Tom Cruise flipping on the afterburner in Topgun
(5) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 21:21   #124
kadman

Just to mention too, that while were doing all this the heater was putting ferocious heat into the car.

So its another indication of how good this car really is. It was the hottest VW I have ever sat in.

Plan for tomorrow is,
Fit a brand new needle valve into the R/H carb.
New manifold/carb gaskets.
Run the car for longer to dislodge any muck from the engine oilways.
Do an oil filter clean, and new oil change.

Now thats it on the button, have to look into driving it around the house for starters,
in order to check the clutch and gearbox. Then maybe renew all the brake components.
31-07-2020, 22:04   #125
kadman

[QUOTE=Jeff2;114190761]It sounds very good to me in the second last video you posted.

I mean for running with out the air filter.

It really is great to see it going again.[/QUOT

You are right, it sounds better than the engine in my own fastback, and it will get better too.

Once the bits and bobs are done the air filter is getting cleaned, and refilled with new oil, and going back on. Dont want any crap going down the carbs.

Very last smokey vid on post 118 IIRC, was for Alphas benefit to show him how we persevered to get this baby running.

But it was worth it on so many fronts
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 22:07   #126
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post
'Volkswagen Leasing' is listed in the logbook prior to my Dad's name. They owned it for one year in 1967 I think. No other owners then apart from the ould fella (!!) and now Kadman himself :-)
So its gone from one ould fella, to another ould fella.

I will look after it as well as the first ould fella, trust me
31-07-2020, 23:29   #127
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Hey Alpha, I told you we would get it going

I didn't doubt you .... but you got there much quicker than I expected ... I would have thought you'd have had to buy/order/install a raft of new bits and pieces so it's amazing to see it running so soon. This certainly bodes well for the other engines that have been sitting idle in that shed :-)

I'm away at the moment but I can't wait to get back and show these videos to my mum - she'll be amazed
(5) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 23:50   #128
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post
I didn't doubt you .... but you got there much quicker than I expected ... I would have thought you'd have had to buy/order/install a raft of new bits and pieces so it's amazing to see it running so soon. This certainly bodes well for the other engines that have been sitting idle in that shed :-)

I'm away at the moment but I can't wait to get back and show these videos to my mum - she'll be amazed
I would have no doubt that any of the engines in that shed could be got going with the same effort,
In the right hands of course

So if you need homes for anymore, let me know

I'm sure the sound of the variant alone will resonate happy memories with your mum

There were no raft of pieces to buy for this engine. I had new plugs, needle valve , gaskets anyway. And we knew the starting process would be tough on an old starter, thats why I opted for a new one, and it paid for itself in minutes.

The day I checked for compression, and got some, I knew that we were on a winner. If there is compression it tells a lot about condition of the parts. Either in an aircooled or water cooled engine. Once you get that, you only have to add fuel and a source of ignition, the rest is physics.

So when you want a donation for the next non runner, let me know

In the end it was an easy fix, if you know these engines, tougher if you dont.
But i did see some evidence on the car of previous attempts in the right direction. So I suspect your dad was engine savvy too. But the ignition aircraft switches are class, and I am leaving them in..
Tell your mum this journey is well worth it.
01-08-2020, 00:19   #129
tc20

Just to add my admiration to kadman & his brothers work on the Variants revival.
I've owned a couple of old & young timers, and have an understanding of how an ICE works but I kneel before ye lads, your knowledge & passion. Keep her lit!
Alfa Beta's original thread has been a joy to follow - the sequel is every bit enthralling.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 00:31   #130
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc20 View Post
Just to add my admiration to kadman & his brothers work on the Variants revival.
I've owned a couple of old & young timers, and have an understanding of how an ICE works but I kneel before ye lads, your knowledge & passion. Keep her lit!
Alfa Beta's original thread has been a joy to follow - the sequel is every bit enthralling.

Ah sure you couldn't let this ould girl in the shed for another 50 years

Sure we wouldn't be around to fix it
02-08-2020, 10:06   #131
kadman

AS the engine was running for a while it is good practice to change the oil
if the engine has been lying up for a while. And 50 years is a while

So the VwW oil filter is conveniently placed here for easy access.
As you will see, its a filter/strainer system thats easily cleanable
and re useable. No need to be buying new filters at all.

So remove the centre plug to drain the oil, then remove the 6 captive nuts,
remove the plate, then the strainer.

Plate off and you can see the strainer here in place.

Strainer off and you can see the oil pickup pipe in
the engine casing.

Here you caan see both the plate and the strainer. And
both these items are very clean for an old engine.

Once you have them all cleaned up, its just fit a new gasket if needed,
replace the strainer, and then the plate, and new washers.
New washers and correct torque make sure that the nuts are not over tightened, pulling the studs out of the case.

All done,

02-08-2020, 10:21   #132
kadman

And i decided to replace the needle inlet valve on the right hand carburetor.

On close inspection I noticed some corrosion at the seating on the inside of the carburetor cover,
where the needle valve is fitted. This corrosion prevents the valve crush washer from correctly seating,
so this can allow the fuel to squeeze by the valve under pressure. And this was clearly happening when the
engine was under increased acceleration.,,

So the solution was to clean the seat for the valve, and refit a new valve.

You can see the valves in the picture. New one on the left, and old one on the right.

I also inspected the electro magnetic jet more closely. It is a piston operated valve
with 3 equally spaced holes at the end. Petrol flows through the valve holes, and out the
end jet. Problem was the jet was over tightened, which is a regular occurrence on old
vw engines. Apart from damaging the valve, it can damage the seat in the carb. If this
happens the carb is then scrap. Luckily the damage is to the jet, as the holes have been forced oval
but not fully closed. So I fitted a non electric jet here

Here you can see the damaged jet.

02-08-2020, 10:42   #133
kadman

All these minor issues collectively effect the proper running of this engine. So only real option is to
take out the engine. Strip it down to a short block, and then inspect the heads to check for
proper valve seating which i suspect are leaking. Then re lap them, fit new seals everywhere, and rebuild
the engine. This wont take long at all.
And while I am at it, i can get all the tin work powder coated, fit a new clutch , starter bush,
and a new exhaust which I have 2 of NOS.

Looks like a nice winter project in a nice warm shed

But not just yet, I will wait to see if the compression comes up more. I checked cylinder number 2 and since the first test before it ran it has come up 25lb pressure.
02-08-2020, 10:46   #134
John.G

I wished they had that strainer centre drain plug in my last 77 beetle as it did/does make for a far easier drain, it probably encouraged just draining the oil without cleaning the strainer, it would also be interesting to compare the fine filtering properties of these strainers to the now universal full flow paper elements. I think the key to all those air cooled engines longevity or otherwise was to change the oil regularly as it ran very hot despite the oil cooler, friend of mine had a 67, 1300 beetle (Pict 1 carburettor, i think) for 16 years and I could almost swear that the engine was as new after ~ 170k miles but he changed the oil every 1200/1500 miles.
Thanks from:
02-08-2020, 10:52   #135
kadman

I am fairly sure that the engine does not need splitting at the crank case
for inspection in the short term. As there has been no evidence at the moment
of any issue with oil pressure. Oil light goes out immediately, and stays out for about
5-10 seconds after the key is turned of after the engine running and hot.

All this points to adequate oil pressure at the moment. And these engines are easily
taken out and rebuilt in a short space of time. So engine rebuilds dont worry me.
This was the oil taken out of the engine, so it appears to have been well maintained.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion