Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Proposed changes to Irish rail commuter services from 9th December 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Are they planning on changing the Northern./Maynooth weekend trains not going to Pearse at any stage? or is this the new normal for these lines?

It makes me an awful lot less inclined to venture into town at the weekend

Changing at Broombridge for a frequent tram into the heart of the city centre isn’t exactly flying to Mars...

thomasj wrote: »
    Would this be a better option for Northern users, if it was to come to pass?
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/green-party-want-metrolink-to-extend-to-donabate-peninsula-36905255.html

I think the Broombridge LUAS and the new timetable will be a great thing for Maynooth line users and I think connectivity-wise, a metro connection would be brilliant for the Northern line.

Crayonism means delays. How much more will the Metro be delayed, FFS?

L1011 wrote: »
    They are proposing to cut the offpeak and weekend frequencies to Celbridge, surreally. Those buses are already full with most pax being Celbridge-bound (I have occasionally been the only one left after Salesians!)

The early service may get me out of the car for occasional times I need to be in work for 730; plenty of others need to do it more often than me and could definitely be converted. As peak traffic problems get earlier and earlier, getting people off the roads then is certainly worthwhile.

You ignore the proposals to have a frequent orbital bus service that will serve the Hatch inter alia plus more frequent trains.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You ignore the proposals to have a frequent orbital bus service that will serve the Hatch inter alia plus more frequent trains.

Realistically that orbital service serves previously unserved parts of Celbridge, not those that currently have and will get reduced service.

Realistically that orbital service serves previously unserved parts of Celbridge, not those that currently have and will get reduced service.

Must have a look at the proposed maps for the orbital bus. However Celbridge isn’t so vast that an improved bus connection to the railway station and more trains are a disimprovement in real terms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Must have a look at the proposed maps for the orbital bus. However Celbridge isn’t so vast that an improved bus connection to the railway station and more trains are a disimprovement in real terms...

The proposed bus route from Hazelhatch to Leixlip Confey train stations is the best thing about bus connects.

It kills a number of birds with the one stone.
    - It connects the Celbridge town to hazelhatch which is way outside the town.
    - It serves areas with no bus services at present off peak
    - It connects Celbridge and Leixlip which has no bus service at present

It provides a service that is not their now and adds to viability of using the train. Definitely an improvement

In fact I believe its to be introduced before busconnects goes ahead

With a light teak to the route it could also serve Intel and Leixlip Louisa Bridge (which I submitted as part of the bus connects consultation process)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

There must be a lot of leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There must be a lot of leaves...

Bugged display. Last trains dont show up right on the boards some nights since last xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Changing at Broombridge for a frequent tram into the heart of the city centre isn’t exactly flying to Mars...

Northern commuter doesn't go anywhere near Broombridge.

For Maynooth line users going home, who is going to want to risk a wait of up to an hour in the dark in Broombridge for a train.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Northern commuter doesn't go anywhere near Broombridge.

For Maynooth line users going home, who is going to want to risk a wait of up to an hour in the dark in Broombridge for a train.

Solution to cluelessness about train times is Timetables - available on a phone or leaflet, amazingly enough. Having lived in North Kildare I long ago learned the value of knowing what time buses and trains headed into the Wild West at.

• Advertisement

Solution to cluelessness about train times is Timetables - available on a phone or leaflet, amazingly enough. Having lived in North Kildare I long ago learned the value of knowing what time buses and trains headed into the Wild West at.

Seriously, considering the shítfests caused by Luas cross city and ten minute DARTs? If you still lived in North Kildare you'd know timetables are more aspirational than ever before. Though you'd also have plenty of time to study timetables on your phone while you were stranded in Broombridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

No, but it is slightly more expensive. Not to mention that in reverse... well, you have to wait at Broombridge. And no-one with common sense will do that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheChrisD wrote: »
    No, but it is slightly more expensive. Not to mention that in reverse... well, you have to wait at Broombridge. And no-one with common sense will do that.

I've done it. It's not what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've done it. It's not what it was

+1

I did it Friday night and the place looks much better.

Granted, it would do with the next train display , a few shelters and benches and a ticket machine but it's getting there.

My trip to Blanchardstown centre from town took nearly 1 hour 10 minutes - 5 minute wait for the Luas , 20 minute Luas journey, 5 minute wait for train, 7 minute train trip to castleknock and 30 minute walk to Blanchardstown centre via the village.

Took less than this week where it involved 30 minute wait for 39A and 45 minute bus trip

+1

I did it Friday night and the place looks much better.

Granted, it would do with the next train display , a few shelters and benches and a ticket machine but it's getting there.

My trip to Blanchardstown centre from town took nearly 1 hour 10 minutes - 5 minute wait for the Luas , 20 minute Luas journey, 5 minute wait for train, 7 minute train trip to castleknock and 30 minute walk to Blanchardstown centre via the village.

Took less than this week where it involved 30 minute wait for 39A and 45 minute bus trip

In fairness, that could have been a 5 min wait for the Luas, a 30 minute journey because of traffic, and a 55 minute wait for a train (soon to be a 35 minute wait).

Also, Coolmine is closer to the shopping centre than Castleknock station. It's a 20 minute walk. I used to do it until the 139 bus service started.

In fairness, that could have been a 5 min wait for the Luas, a 30 minute journey because of traffic, and a 55 minute wait for a train (soon to be a 35 minute wait).

Also, Coolmine is closer to the shopping centre than Castleknock station. It's a 20 minute walk. I used to do it until the 139 bus service started.

A whole nine buses a day! That’s one timetable you’d want to remember alright. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Will some of the timetable changes on 9 December make any difference to the current congestion in the morning peak at Connolly? Such as no longer having the 8am to Sligo (replaced with two trains at 7am and 9am): might this free-up platform space and a train path to better accommodate the Sligo/Maynooth line services?

I ask as the 8.02 to GDC (PPT) is always late (why? Is there not enough time in the current TT?) and this delays all following south-bound trains. Might the freed-up platform (platform 7) avoid delays from the PPT service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

December changes are now up on the journey planner from 9th December.

December changes are now up on the journey planner from 9th December.

Shows many ~25 minute waits, and a few 38 minute waits in Connolly if getting on in Tara or Pearse :rolleyes:

The journey planner has a huge minimum connection time that seems to accommodate a slow walk from P1 to p7. Even when it's p6 to p7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shows many ~25 minute waits, and a few 38 minute waits in Connolly if getting on in Tara or Pearse :rolleyes:

Yeah just noticed this. Dear god why. Sounds nightmarish

Journey planner updated this morning with a much reduced connection time. Some connections now showing as low as 4 minutes. Not sure if that's enough time to get from platform 1 to 6.

Journey planner updated this morning with a much reduced connection time. Some connections now showing as low as 4 minutes. Not sure if that's enough time to get from platform 1 to 6.

From porridge too cold to porridge too hot - given some of the mad transfer times on both the IR planner and a-b.ie on occasions, a cross check is always useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

From porridge too cold to porridge too hot - given some of the mad transfer times on both the IR planner and a-b.ie on occasions, a cross check is always useful.

They will hold the train anyway, less transfer times the better

After being pushed the NTA have admitted the Maynooth line truncation to Pearse is to reduce run times and reduce driver usage as they can't operate to Pearse all day with existing level of drivers. Also the current regular P1->P6 change required to go southbound should be changed to P7-P6 cross-platform

They'll need to fix the journey planner to not assume 6 minutes is required for that transfer though!

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/changes-made-off-peak-services-maynooth-dublin-ease-inconvenience-commuters/262132

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a joke we now have a more frequent service people are less likely to use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Due to a bizarre series of events, I ended up taking the train to work at an off-peak time on Friday. The Maynooth line & then the Dart. I expected a long period of cooling my heels at Connolly... but that didn't happen. A wait of about 4 mins!
    Very pleasantly surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so what's going on at Bray? on several occasions now I've seen trains delayed by up to 10 minutes because the previous train is just sitting at the platform waiting for a driver.

Last week I arrived in Bray on a Dart planning to change onto the Rosslare train to Greystones. I got off the Dart, so did the driver and the Dart just sat at the platform while the display counted down the arrival of the intercity before sticking at 3 minutes (so the next train was sitting waiting outside the station at that point). Still no movement, eventually with the intercity now late a new driver ambles up the platform, gets in the cab, sits there for another few minutes before finally moving the Dart down to the sidings. So the following intercity, which had arrived outside the station on time, eventually departed 10 mins down.

Same thing happened again yesterday only this time I was on the Intercity, which sat at the bridge outside Bray for a full 10 minutes waiting for a platform. Go slow? Rostering issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

loyatemu wrote: »
    so what's going on at Bray? on several occasions now I've seen trains delayed by up to 10 minutes because the previous train is just sitting at the platform waiting for a driver.

Last week I arrived in Bray on a Dart planning to change onto the Rosslare train to Greystones. I got off the Dart, so did the driver and the Dart just sat at the platform while the display counted down the arrival of the intercity before sticking at 3 minutes (so the next train was sitting waiting outside the station at that point). Still no movement, eventually with the intercity now late a new driver ambles up the platform, gets in the cab, sits there for another few minutes before finally moving the Dart down to the sidings. So the following intercity, which had arrived outside the station on time, eventually departed 10 mins down.

Same thing happened again yesterday only this time I was on the Intercity, which sat at the bridge outside Bray for a full 10 minutes waiting for a platform. Go slow? Rostering issues?

I've been on the Rosslare train quite allot last few months and the reason that has been given for waiting is "slow delay due to increase in new dart services"

I stopped getting off an Connolly because the train would be waiting outside the station for 10 to 15 minutes. Better to get off at Tara and walk to my friend in Talbot Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I've been on the Rosslare train quite allot last few months and the reason that has been given for waiting is "slow delay due to increase in new dart services"

I stopped getting off an Connolly because the train would be waiting outside the station for 10 to 15 minutes. Better to get off at Tara and walk to my friend in Talbot Street.

the Rosslare train often doesn't even arrive in Connolly until 5 minutes after it was due to depart (you can see it sitting beside the loco shed), then it makes up most of that time on the way to Dun Laoghaire (because the timetable is so padded) only to lose it all again waiting outside Bray. You would think this is easily solvable, but from the outside it looks like some form of industrial action, who knows.

Advertisement