Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What 4 bay NAS?

• 03-08-2018 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Looking for a 4 bay NAS, aware of Synology DS418 options and QNAP TS-4xx options but not sure what exact model meets my needs. Eg how much processing power and memory do I need...

- Primary need is to store and play media (h265 4K, BR rips etc) via Nvidia Shield and Vero. Not at the same time and it doesn’t need to transcode.
    - store PC/Laptop backups
    - store photo backups
    - secondary storage for VM's on a NUC homelab running esxi

So out of the Synology DS418J / DS418 / DS418 play and QNAP TS-431P / TS-431P2 / TS-451A / TS-451+ which meets my needs as they range from €300 to €500 excluding drives? Or, is there an alternative 4 bay solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

viperlogic wrote: »
    - secondary storage for VM's on a NUC homelab running esxi

Do you need SCSI mounts or just SMB/CIFS/NFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

ED E wrote: »
    Do you need SCSI mounts or just SMB/CIFS/NFS?

NFS will suffice for esxi on the NUC

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In that case pretty much anything on the market will do.

Be aware that Syn have a little bit of a rep for working really well but being a total nightmare in the case that something goes wrong. Not saying don't go that route just do a bit of reading so you know what you're buying. There are also Netgears ReadyNAS and Zyxels offering to weigh up.

NB: Not all boxes support very large disks (>4TB) so double check specs if you think you might use them now or down the road.

Advertisement