Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Karsini wrote: »
    My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.

What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!

The Setra is almost certainly ex Aircoach, millions of kilometres on those. They are wrecked.

You're right about citylink.

Those Vanhool's are nice.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!! :eek:

What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!
    I can't remember to be honest but it was back in February when I took the trip.
    Quackster wrote: »
    The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!! :eek:
    I haven't taken the 12 and 13 for years but yes, it was hell! About 6 hours if I recall. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/897378695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/status/897152439010426884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They have been doing this on different streets to highlight safety and so on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Last week in Cork, I saw a driver smash out with a bin, the outer half of one of the rear windows of 04 D 34313, the ex-Aircoach blue Setra that Dublin Coach are now using!

I assume it had gotten damaged, rather then him just taking out his frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

devnull wrote: »
    There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/897378695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/status/897152439010426884

It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

howiya wrote: »
    It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park

Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.

Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.

Irrespective of the cyclists' issues, the space provided for the buses and coaches at that stop is not sufficient to cope with the number of services licensed to serve it.

That's a problem across the city centre and needs addressing.

In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.

In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.
    Absolutely. Galway has it that way.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

It's illegal to park there. Common sense, give and take etc shouldn't come into it.

Agree they need a second bus station somewhere. A suggestion I would have until such is built is that Custom House Quay be reduced to one traffic lane (outer lane) and giving the inside line to facilitate buses with the cycle lane on the outside of it.

The cycling crowd might not view it as very safe with buses pulling in/out but for the majority of time the coaches are there they're stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

howiya wrote: »
    It's illegal to park there. Common sense, give and take etc shouldn't come into it.

I completely agree with what they are doing. They are making a stand that will benefit both bus and cycle users with regards bad parking.. but

The Irony of it all is they are highlighting the fact that that area needs more coach parking.

Which may well do away with the cycle lane there.

brokenarms wrote: »
    I completely agree with what they are doing. They are making a stand that will benefit both bus and cycle users with regards bad parking.. but

The Irony of it all is they are highlighting the fact that that area needs more coach parking.

Which may well do away with the cycle lane there.

They're probably afraid of the Dublin Coach breaking down in the cycle lane and then it'll cause even more mayhem.

Look at their history, breakdowns, especially in the old Setra's is very common :rolleyes:

They're probably afraid of the Dublin Coach breaking down in the cycle lane and then it'll cause even more mayhem.

Look at their history, breakdowns, especially in the old Setra's is very common :rolleyes:

Just as well that only coaches operating on the "haves" side of Dublin Coach, aka the Belfast route with it's new Tourismos operates down there then rather than the "have nots" with their frequent use of ex Aircoach Setras on the other routes!

Can't imagine vehicles less than a year old will break down a lot!

devnull wrote: »
    Just as well that only coaches operating on the "haves" side of Dublin Coach, aka the Belfast route with it's new Tourismos operates down there then rather than the "have nots" with their frequent use of ex Aircoach Setras on the other routes!

Can't imagine vehicles less than a year old will break down a lot!

Those tourismo's are a great coach.

The only way such a new coach would break down is by neglect, which is possible, in saying that, i have yet to hear of one of the new ones breaking down.

Has anyone here been on them (The Mercedes)?

Indeed, I wouldn't say the Tourismo's are quite the same standard as Setra but not far off, although generally people who ordered Setra now ordered Tourismo since Setra's are sadly no longer made for the UK and Ireland.

I've seen one of the 142's broken down twice but I haven't seen any issues with the 171s so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I travel with Dublin coach on a regular basis from Newbridge to the Red Cow- Airport and have been generally happy with the service except on two occasions when the issue was with the driver. The first occasion was when getting the 6.20 am from Newbridge to the airport and we were concerned that at times the driver was breaking very hard. When we were on the m50 a lady at the front of the bus let a scream at the driver and he braked very hard as he was about to run into the back of a truck, the lady told him his eyes were closed
    and he was falling asleep. When we were disembarking she told him to go get some black coffee to keep himself awake. My sister in law e mailed the company but never got a reply.
    The second incident was leaving Dublin airport bus park and as we approached the exit an elderly couple came pushing a luggage trolly and wavering at the driver but he totally ingored them and kept going. When we arrived at the red cow there was about ten people boarding and one lady asked the same driver was it the bus to Portlaoise, he replied that if she got back off and walked around the front of the bus she would see Portlaoise written on the bus. Surely it was easier just to say yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Noticed that a Tralee/Killarney to/from Red Cow ticket bought online is only €15 rather than the advertised €20 (that I assume would be charged if bought from the driver).

I imagine it's a quirk in the booking system as Tralee/Killarney to/from Kildare Village is being charged at the advertised €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Had a great experience last night on the 2030 service from the Airport. Driver refused to drive coach from Red Cow onwards due to electrical issue with a bulb above him. He couldnt see the change he was given passengers is what I picked up. Instead of informing passengers, instead said driver roared down the phone to the office about the bus ...roll on an hour and 15mins later after the 2130 bus had overtaken an almost angry mob had formed on the bus along with a group of young lads and two women who continued to threaten to shoot eachother the whole way back to Newbridge while the rest of us sat in complete darkness. Thats Dublin Coach ... oh and it was the Kinglong coach which now looks as if it rolled down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Had a great experience last night on the 2030 service from the Airport. Driver refused to drive coach from Red Cow onwards due to electrical issue with a bulb above him. He couldnt see the change he was given passengers is what I picked up. Instead of informing passengers, instead said driver roared down the phone to the office about the bus ...roll on an hour and 15mins later after the 2130 bus had overtaken an almost angry mob had formed on the bus along with a group of young lads and two women who continued to threaten to shoot eachother the whole way back to Newbridge while the rest of us sat in complete darkness. Thats Dublin Coach ... oh and it was the Kinglong coach which now looks as if it rolled down a hill.

God talk about picking the wrong bus to get on lol.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Was he sacked? :pac:

This ad was updated today:

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1642886

Makes you wonder why he did not just carry everyone for free after the light broke. Or if it was a H&S reason for passengers in the back, why was there not a replacement brought out.

Was it his call or the controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Makes you wonder why he did not just carry everyone for free after the light broke. Or if it was a H&S reason for passengers in the back, why was there not a replacement brought out.

Was it his call or the controller?

They sent out a replacement bus just an hour and bit after by the time we all boarded the replacement bus the 2130 drove by. Im not sure who's it was.

They sent out a replacement bus just an hour and bit after by the time we all boarded the replacement bus the 2130 drove by. Im not sure who's it was.

When you consider how close their depot is to the Red Cow, an hour is a joke.

The driver gets nothing extra in wages for waiting around to make it worse.

Seems to me, most of this Bull Sh1t is due to.

.Cutting corners,
    .Not paying decent wages or hours worked
    .Bad management.
    .Bad maintenance.

In other words.

Privatisation .

Yet people are crying out for more of the same.

Seems to me, most of this Bull Sh1t is due to.

.Cutting corners,
    .Not paying decent wages or hours worked
    .Bad management.
    .Bad maintenance.

In other words.

Privatisation .

You got it in 1

It's all about the race to the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Of course we are, BE couldn't be arsed running coaches between two of our largest cities after 6pm or using the shiny new motorways that the government built for billions. Nor could they be arsed having toilets on board and were late to getting wifi and power.

The services of the likes of Aircoach, Citylink, GoBus/GoBE are vastly superior to BE's services.

DC seems to be a bad apple amongst the privates, but the rest of the privates seem to be running a fantastic, innovative and high quality services.

BTW DC seem to be getting away with this bad quality of service because they have a monopoly on the routes they operate. I've always said monopolies are bad, doesn't matter if public or private, you just end up with the same lazy practices when you face no competition.

Advertisement