Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2017

• 28-02-2016 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Where you guys at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

I am thinking of doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sat it in 2015 and got 49, did about a months study with no science background but just wanted to see what it was like. I'm thinking about doing some serious preparation now and sitting it in Liverpool/London in the September.

Was doing a business degree which is finished until September (1 year left) its a part time course but with Kids it does take up a significant chunk of time. So I feel I won't be able to sit the 2017 one with much study done so I'm going to use this summer to get down to some nitty gritty. I'd be fairly confident after scoring 49 that I could up it to a potential place.

My real question is that at 30 in a well paid job is it worth my while.

I guess that's only something you can answer.

Personally I feel if something is a passion of yours its worth pursuing. Even if it doesn't work out you know you tried and you can live without regret. Money is wonderful of course, but it isn't everything.

That's brilliant you did so well with only a months study, I am jealous because I know it will take me much longer to get ready to take the test! :)

Personally I feel if something is a passion of yours it is worth pursuing. Even if it doesn't work out you know you tried and you can live without regret. Money is wonderful of course, but it isn't everything.

That's brilliant you did so well with only a months study, I am jealous because I know it will take me much longer to get ready to take the test! :)

Maat wrote: »

Personally I feel if something is a passion of yours it is worth pursuing. Even if it doesn't work out you know you tried and you can live without regret. Money is wonderful of course, but it isn't everything.

Oh I agree, if I was young free and single it wouldn't enter my mind, and I'd be knuckling down for the summer with the aim of medical school in 2017, the issue arises when you have a young family and have to keep a roof over not just over your head but theirs :)

Don't be Jealous, I may just have fluked a lot of the science, if I have to give thought and work out an actual answer things may decline instead of going up :)

I found the Griffiths book fantastic in terms of science topicss to focus on, if you know what he tells you and can do questions based on it, I think the science will be doable, the rest I'm not remotely worried about.

It's a shame that the starting pay for such a required and important profession is lower than a Luas driver who requires limited qualifications and 7 weeks training. Doctors, Nurses and Teacher really do have a raw deal when you look at the private sector (PS: I do work in the private sector :))

I dont want to turn this into a debate about potential earnings, but if the starting salary was raised in Medicine I'd be inclined to lean towards it.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree, if I was young free and single it wouldn't enter my mind, and I'd be knuckling down for the summer with the aim of medical school in 2017, the issue arises when you have a young family and have to keep a roof over not just over your head but theirs :)

Don't be Jealous, I may just have fluked a lot of the science, if I have to give thought and work out an actual answer things may decline instead of going up :)

I found the Griffiths book fantastic in terms of science topicss to focus on, if you know what he tells you and can do questions based on it, I think the science will be doable, the rest I'm not remotely worried about.

It's a shame that the starting pay for such a required and important profession is lower than a Luas driver who requires limited qualifications and 7 weeks training. Doctors, Nurses and Teacher really do have a raw deal when you look at the private sector (PS: I do work in the private sector :))

I dont want to turn this into a debate about potential earnings, but if the starting salary was raised in Medicine I'd be inclined to lean towards it.

Yes it's a real travesty that all the hard work, dedication, stress and strain is not at all reflected in the salary.

Yes I have heard people who have families and have chosen to follow this direction, but it is difficult and it depends on your financial situation. I know UL say they have accommodation designed in case GEM students are coming with families etc. I still think that if you can meet your commitment to providing for a family (which is difficult and takes a lot of planning etc.) then it is still worth pursuing what you would really like to do.

I have heard of people going back in their forties and fifties to study medicine, so if you find that it is not possible right now it is not necessarily the end of the story. You could save for a few more years to help absorb some of the heavy cost of changing career.

I do hope you can get some more replies which address doing medicine with a family! I am 26 but no dependents etc. so it's easier for me.

Maybe have a look on UK/AUS-based boards if you haven't already...I am sure I have seen several discussions about this type of situation.

Thanks for the advice on the science section. I appreciate it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Baxtrax

Anyone studying for the Gamsat while working?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

Sat it in 2015 and got 49, did about a months study with no science background but just wanted to see what it was like. I'm thinking about doing some serious preparation now and sitting it in Liverpool/London in the September.

Was doing a business degree which is finished until September (1 year left) its a part time course but with Kids it does take up a significant chunk of time. So I feel I won't be able to sit the 2017 one with much study done so I'm going to use this summer to get down to some nitty gritty. I'd be fairly confident after scoring 49 that I could up it to a potential place.

You would be taking four years out of working (and not earning), and paying fees of over 60 grand to start a career that pays less than minimum wage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

Yes it's a real travesty that all the hard work, dedication, stress and strain is not at all reflected in the salary.

Yes I have heard people who have families and have chosen to follow this direction, but it is difficult and it depends on your financial situation. I know UL say they have accommodation designed in case GEM students are coming with families etc. I still think that if you can meet your commitment to providing for a family (which is difficult and takes a lot of planning etc.) then it is still worth pursuing what you would really like to do.

I have heard of people going back in their forties and fifties to study medicine, so if you find that it is not possible right now it is not necessarily the end of the story. You could save for a few more years to help absorb some of the heavy cost of changing career.

I do hope you can get some more replies which address doing medicine with a family! I am 26 but no dependents etc. so it's easier for me.

Maybe have a look on UK/AUS-based boards if you haven't already...I am sure I have seen several discussions about this type of situation.

Thanks for the advice on the science section. I appreciate it! :)

Yes, I think it is very important that people know what they are getting themselves into when they make the commitment to enter a career in medicine in Ireland. In the first few years as a doctor, you will be paid less than the legal hourly minimum wage. It can take 10 years or more to become a consultant and most consultants get a net pay of about €3900 per month. Considering the hours they work, this amounts to an hourly rate that is still less than luas / bus / train drivers.

screweddoc wrote: »
    Yes, I think it is very important that people know what they are getting themselves into when they make the commitment to enter a career in medicine in Ireland. In the first few years as a doctor, you will be paid less than the legal hourly minimum wage. It can take 10 years or more to become a consultant and most consultants get a net pay of about €3900 per month. Considering the hours they work, this amounts to an hourly rate that is still less than luas / bus / train drivers.

Screweddoc I've seen your posts before about the financial burden of doing GEM and your username suggests that you may have first-hand experience of this.

Would you consider sharing some details about your own personal experience? I think it would be helpful for everyone to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 hallsp

I'm thinking about starting a study group in Dublin if people are interested? I have a background in physics and the humanities, and I'm currently trying to re-learn LC chemistry and start biology from scratch. If other people have other strengths, a study group might be mutually beneficial?

hallsp wrote: »
    I'm thinking about starting a study group in Dublin if people are interested? I have a background in physics and the humanities, and I'm currently trying to re-learn LC chemistry and start biology from scratch. If other people have other strengths, a study group might be mutually beneficial?

Hi we have a study group going here. If you'd like to join send me a link to your fb profile and I will add you to the group!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Hello, I'm planning on sitting the gamsat in March actually haven't started studying properly yet don't know where to begin from.. a bit clueless. I would love to hear from you guys what you're doing and how? What materials are you guys using and how much study you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gillibean

Where to start???

Gillibean wrote: »
    Where to start???

Buy the Griffiths guide. It breaks down the exam for you and what you should look to study for the science section and the materials you should look to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Baxtrax

Ive got all the material just a matter of getting started! Starting to think whether it will be worth more than what Im doinb currently :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dr. Sunsh1ne

Hi we have a study group going here. If you'd like to join send me a link to your fb profile and I will add you to the group!

Hiya. I, too, am interested in the study group. I'm based in north Dublin. Would you mind sending me the details please? Thanks a mil in advance. A

• Registered Users Posts: 5 finickyferret

I'm in 3rd year of a Biochemistry degree and looking at applying to UK universities, so will probably take the exam in March.
    Starting to get panicky over money already, given when I apply I'll only be 23 with around 7-10k saved. Not sure whether to take a year out, work fulltime, study for GAMSAT and save more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

The expenses are probably going to run to €30k, you might just have enough if you plan on working full-time in the summers. Just starting the GAMSAT study myself, and if there's a study group in Dublin just send me details.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Hey, I just came across this crowd careerosphere (www.careerosphere.ie) from a facebook ad, they do careers talks on a few areas it appears. They're doing their medicine talk next Monday night in Stillorgan, one of the things it says they look at is the cost of graduate medicine. Might be worth a look, haven't been to any one of their talks so can't say if they're any good or not. Cheers.

• Advertisement

*snip*

There is a sticky for this stuff....

Why on earth would you derail 3 threads? The mind boggles!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Spam posts deleted. In future cases posters please report such posts rather than responding on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dr. Sunsh1ne

Hi. Did you form a study group?

Just gotten my hands on some PDF copies of Des O Neill, so hopefully that'll help me get stuck in. Any other recommendations?
    I'm 3/4 through a science degree, so I'll probably just use Khanacademy to brush up on concepts from first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

Just gotten my hands on some PDF copies of Des O Neill, so hopefully that'll help me get stuck in. Any other recommendations?
    I'm 3/4 through a science degree, so I'll probably just use Khanacademy to brush up on concepts from first year.

any chance the Des O'Neil notes could be kindly passed on to a fellow science student?:confused::o

any chance the Des O'Neil notes could be kindly passed on to a fellow science student?:confused::o

Seconded if they're available

Hey ChromosomeT and sReq | uTeK, I actually got the notes through one of the Facebook study groups.
    Search Gamsat 2017 Study Group and you should be able to find it. It was through a dropbox link, but I don't have my laptop at the moment to link it to you myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Anyone sitting the GAMSAT in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

miissjuly wrote: »
    Anyone sitting the GAMSAT in September?

Hey, I am. Haven't really given it much thought since I'm in final year of my undergraduate degree but will start knuckling down fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 edel.happy

I have all the notes you need. PM me.

Advertisement