Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour Dublin bus?

• 01-11-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone have any update on the proposals from earlier this year to run some DB routes 24 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Can't remember where but think I read they'd be coming sometime around February

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

p_haugh wrote: »
    Can't remember where but think I read they'd be coming sometime around February

Most likely Swords to An Lár via Airport,in February.
    Crewing arrangements largely in place,however issues remain outstanding regarding Supervisory,Maintenance and external arrangements.

Current NTA requirement is for 6 24 hour corridors,with some flexibility as to routes involved.

There was a suggestion that representations had been made by Taxi interests,which had delayed the process,however I can find no links to support that.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If taxi reps tried to interfere nd I was Minister I'd threaten to legislate for full Uber in retaliation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd prefer the alternative of the minister actually growing a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

L1011 wrote: »
    If taxi reps tried to interfere nd I was Minister I'd threaten to legislate for full Uber in retaliation

I think this should happen anyway, the taxi lobby , NBRU and LVA/Vintners federation have had too easy a time and stifled progress, measures to make them ineffective at worst and fall out of existence at best need to be taken.

• Advertisement

Imposing...vile abuse of human rights... forced... Nazi labour camp... my heart breaks...

I genuinely laughed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Imposing night shift work where not necessary is a vile abuse of human rights.

The taxi drivers do it willingly, the bus drivers will be forced into it like a Nazi labour camp. It's unnecessary and unfair on the drivers.

I hope it never happens. I am happy to have a day job with fexi time and my heart breaks for people forced into shift work. 24 hour public transport is simply not needed.

Private cars, taxis and cycling are adequate at night.

Heed the warnings people.....no good will come of the Germanization of nocturnal Dublin.....just look at what happens over there......

(Varning: Der wer Bust Drivers in der Audienze too !!) :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wlmA3m8ZE

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So damaging a driver's health, depriving him or her from their family is just a laugh?

It's a disgrace.

IF they bring in night shifts, and I hope they don't, their salary should be increased to €45,000 (starting). I genuinely mean it. They'd deserve no less. The abuse they pt up with for such a high skilled job is too underpaid as it is.

I only know one driver as an acquaintance btw (my friend's father), before anyone accuses me of having an agenda.
    But Dublin bus drivers already drive all the time, the first 33 leaves Skerries at 5:40 so there's driving time to get there from the depot, and the last nightlink on the 33n leaves for skerries at 4am. so theres over 24 hours driving time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This needs to happen so badly. 6 routes would be great. I'd assume in time that would grow to cover the core BusConnect radial corridors.

We'd finally move towards what a European capital city should have in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

This would be great news when this happens.

I was told by a driver recently that the first 39/as that leave ongar around 5.30 are running full to capacity and that the new timetable will see the first bus leaving around 4-4.30ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yep the 39s need doubling in frequency the entire corridor the whole day

As someone who doesn't live in Dublin, and only ventures in the odd time for work or shopping, would my guess be right, in that the reason there's no 24hr transport is a lot to do with the city itself kinda closing at 5-6pm (retail/general shopping) and other businesses (cafe, restaurant, pub etc) tend to quieten significantly after 9-10ish?

It's been a while since I've been in the city centre at night, i will admit, but if i recall correctly, i ventured through one weekday around 8.30-9.00pm'ish, and i don't recall that the place was exactly bustling (but I could be wrong, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I guess the 6 24hr routes would broadly coincide with the A-G bus spines. Even if they operated to the end of the spine and then connected with a suburban taxi rank for onward journies that'd be fab.

Say if there was a G night bus as far as Liffey Valley and from there you could get a cab.
    Obvious exception being that the Airport and Swords should be included.

At present the City Centre is clogged with taxis from 22:00 onwards, Fridays and Saturday nights are a write off for traffic. That needs to stop.

I know there's night luas and DARTs in December but this really should be all year. Fingers crossed the proposed metro is driverless and 24hr like in Copenhagen.

As someone who doesn't live in Dublin, and only ventures in the odd time for work or shopping, would my guess be right, in that the reason there's no 24hr transport is a lot to do with the city itself kinda closing at 5-6pm (retail/general shopping) and other businesses (cafe, restaurant, pub etc) tend to quieten significantly after 9-10ish?

It's been a while since I've been in the city centre at night, i will admit, but if i recall correctly, i ventured through one weekday around 8.30-9.00pm'ish, and i don't recall that the place was exactly bustling (but I could be wrong, of course).

Wow, it's really been a while for you. It's dawn to dusk bedlem.

Admitedly , a late night / 24 hour bus would essentially just be an extension of the drink link services, you'll never have a time where the majority of people on a bus in dublin at 2am are well behaved coming home from a sober evening , i think the demand for it monday-wednesday would exclusively serve students and unemployed people going out partying or coming from the airport only. There is very little to do in dublin after 10pm that isnt getting pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I think there will be drivers lining up for this.

As there will be no canteen open, all the duties could well be workouts on empty roads. Basically less hours with an expected increased shift bonus. Will really suit alot of folk. As far as drunk people goes. Let them at it. Drive the bus.

I would love to see it as I cant afford a night in Dublin due to the high taxi costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭KD345

Admitedly , a late night / 24 hour bus would essentially just be an extension of the drink link services, you'll never have a time where the majority of people on a bus in dublin at 2am are well behaved coming home from a sober evening , i think the demand for it monday-wednesday would exclusively serve students and unemployed people going out partying or coming from the airport only. There is very little to do in dublin after 10pm that isnt getting pissed

I’d leave aside the assumption that the city only functions around alcohol. There are companies, industries, hospitals and various businesses that operate outside the regular working hours. For anyone finishing a shift at midnight or starting one at 6am public transport is not an option. Dublin has many multinational companies working on various time zones with odd shift patterns.
    Many hospital shifts start at 7am (nurses, cleaners, maintenance staff). To be fair, Dublin Bus have been good in providing some early morning services on key routes such as the 05:15 46a, 05:55 66B, 06:00 14 etc. but they’re not nearly enough to meet the demand.

Even those who are out partying are not served well by the existing Nightlink. If you choose a late bar or club anywhere that’s not the in city centre or at a limited pick up point, then it’s useless and a taxi is your only choice.

KD345 wrote: »
    I’d leave aside the assumption that the city only functions around alcohol. There are companies, industries, hospitals and various businesses that operate outside the regular working hours. For anyone finishing a shift at midnight or starting one at 6am public transport is not an option. Dublin has many multinational companies working on various time zones with odd shift patterns.
    Many hospital shifts start at 7am (nurses, cleaners, maintenance staff). To be fair, Dublin Bus have been good in providing some early morning services on key routes such as the 05:15 46a, 05:55 66B, 06:00 14 etc. but they’re not nearly enough to meet the demand.

Even those who are out partying are not served well by the existing Nightlink. If you choose a late bar or club anywhere that’s not the in city centre or at a limited pick up point, then it’s useless and a taxi is your only choice.

I would agree with you for 4.30am onwards citybound or up till 1am outbound services , and I ament working in absolutes here but the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk, I would still like to see those services but I could see how danger money / limited routes / transport security may be required and as such a higher cost and better standard of training would be required.

Driving a 3am bus to crumlin/neilstown/jobstown/darndale etc.. wpuld be hell on earth for all invovled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I would agree with you for 4.30am onwards citybound or up till 1am outbound services , and I ament working in absolutes here but the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk, I would still like to see those services but I could see how danger money / limited routes / transport security may be required and as such a higher cost and better standard of training would be required.

I agree that security may be required but I think there is a case for security anyway even with services finishing at 23:30 at certain times on certain routes tbh.

I would say such services will be popular not only with drunks at the times you mentioned it could used by workers in hospitality sector such as workers in bars, restaurants, hotels and nightclubs. A 24 hour service would give people a peace of mind not to worry about missing the last bus home this making public transport more attractive over car or taxi usage.

It would also alleviate the demand on the last buses going home which can be very busy on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights. I would suggest they maybe two buses an hour on a corridor for example on the N11 you could a 46a every hour inter worked with a 145 every hour.
    Driving a 3am bus to crumlin/neilstown/jobstown/darndale etc.. wpuld be hell on earth for all invovled.

If there are problems they could withdraw service from the area for a period of time like they do already if there's an incident. It's the same kind of attitude every time something new is introduced here like the way people thought Dublin bikes would end up in the Liffey and RTPI screens would be smashed. Neither ended up happening.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

..the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk...

But of course in order to get drunk, people have to serve them. Also, the "drunks", probably bwant to eat as well. Takeaways staff etc look after them. The same people who would probably benefit from this bus service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Different topic, but also with more buses during the night, you might start to remedy the situation where you’ve hundreds/thousands leaving a few streets all at the same time looking for taxis. This is where any trouble inevitably starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

If Dublin Bus don't want to supply the service the contract/licence from when they stop providing service should be provided for free to anyone who wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

To be honest, I've gotten the nitelink home a few times and walked through the entirety of Jobstown, and it's dead as f*** most nights.

Qrt wrote: »
    To be honest, I've gotten the nitelink home a few times and walked through the entirety of Jobstown, and it's dead as f*** most nights.

To reiterate my point if there's problems in particular area withdraw service temporarily as is done now. Why should it be any different at 3 in the morning as at 8 in the evening or whenever the trouble usually starts. As you said sure it's probably fairly most nights anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If Dublin Bus don't want to supply the service the contract/licence from when they stop providing service should be provided for free to anyone who wants it.

When late buses came out first in the 1990's, private companies were banging on the doors of Kildare Street to get a chance to run some of the private routes. Within a few months Finnegan's of Bray were about the only one of them who were still running, and to their credit they still are.

If the NTA want it DB will have to provide it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If the NTA want it DB will have to provide it

No they don't. (well yeah DB do now because they signed the contract for it with the NTA)

When the NTA decide a requirement they issue tender for a company to run a service or batch of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

antodeco wrote: »
    But of course in order to get drunk, people have to serve them. Also, the "drunks", probably bwant to eat as well. Takeaways staff etc look after them. The same people who would probably benefit from this bus service!

And you could have the more upmarket class of restaurant or hotel where the patrons would use a taxi or walk up to their room, but the staff have to go home every night.

why does going out for a drink with a friend equate with getting pissed according to some?

• Advertisement

Some seriously weird victorian era notions on this thread. Basically if you are out at night, you are up to no good, you are only entitled to public services, like transport, if you are going to work or to Mass according to some.

Advertisement