Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaschaint

• 04-04-2012 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Dia Duit
    Is an Isiltír me ag tá mme i mo chonnaí i mBaile athe Cliath.
    Te ma me post a bean n'hEirean aguis dha phaisyí aginn, mac (4) agus inníon (2)
    Téann mo mhac ag Naoinra agis ta me ag foglaim Gaelge

beidh me cheangail an leabhair "Gaschaint" agus ullmhim "app android"

And please excuse mme for swichig as Beala from here on (and feel free to correct me on the above)

So I bought this book called Gaschaint; 200 phrases in the three dialects for parents with school going kids.
    26 Euri at the time and my first copy got thumbed to ****s before chaill me an labhair an traein

Anyway I bougfh a second one and got the idea of "converting the book" into an app.
    Something simmilar to the "Enjoy Irish" from "MAithu" although not in Ulster which is a pain (No offence ment but I prefer Munster or Connemara <munster sticks better to the grammar its seems to me as a beginner>)

I noticed that the printed text differs a bit on a few occasions from the spoken text howver.
    As well OCR does not really work on scanned pages and eventhough I have been offered a low level PDF this is not going to sort my OCR issue.

I dont know if anyone has this book or is familliar with its layout... but this is what I intend to do.

1st I do not want to infringe revenue to its writers. The book is cheap enough so if you are interested in getting it buy it!
    For those who exceed the level of the book but still want to help out. I want to make sections of it available in MP3 Format, Mind you not the whole CD just say 50 sentences.
    What I am looking for is for people to type these sentences out on a shared excel sheet after which I will be able to create an app whuich will allow:
    Users to select their preferred Dialect
    Jump Chapters , show translation , repeat a sentence etc.

At the moment the MP3's contain sometimes 2 or 3 sentences (Which i still have to break up into 2 or three sepreate files

I wam wondering if I could find any volunteers here to help me douing the type work
    Purely a labour of love ...

In return I will get you a copy of the app once finnished... I mean fair is fair..
    The App itself is going up to the writers publishers of the book and they can push it to Android Market and or convert for those fecking Iphone/pads as well.

For me its purely an app I would use myself in the Connaught and Munster.... and if there is some Ulsterperson out there who would like to help...I do not want to limmit the app to these two (although I will limmit my own knowledge)
    And an app that possibly could make these basic sentences accessible to others

So intersted in helping me out
    Just PM me

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3883

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

You might be interested to know that Forbairt Naionrai Teo have published a new version of Basic Irish for Parents in booklet form and you have a choice of CDs according to the dialect you wish to use - including Munster.
    http://www.naionrai.ie/tacaiocht/diolachan/index.en
    I would also suggest that you might like to have a look at this website -
    http://www.oidhreacht.ie/foilseachain.asp where they have three book and CDs for children in the Munster dialect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 trixie_belle

Ar eirigh leat an app a chruthú? Beadh an-suim agam é a úsáid (nó cabhair leatsa é a bhúnú).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

Trixie, perhaps you can help me. I'm trying to find a Gaelge site that has pronunciations in three dialects and there is a woman named Brid Ellis who has done more pronunciations than anyone else on the site. The minute I find the site I can find what I need. It's not focloir.ie .

Thanks for any help,

Frank

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    Trixie, perhaps you can help me. I'm trying to find a Gaelge site that has pronunciations in three dialects and there is a woman named Brid Ellis who has done more pronunciations than anyone else on the site. The minute I find the site I can find what I need. It's not focloir.ie .

Thanks for any help,

Frank

Could be teanglann.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Dia Duit
    Is an Isiltír me ag tá mme i mo chonnaí i mBaile athe Cliath.
    Te ma me post a bean n'hEirean aguis dha phaisyí aginn, mac (4) agus inníon (2)
    Téann mo mhac ag Naoinra agis ta me ag foglaim Gaelge

beidh me cheangail an leabhair "Gaschaint" agus ullmhim "app android"

And please excuse mme for swichig as Beala from here on (and feel free to correct me on the above)

So I bought this book called Gaschaint; 200 phrases in the three dialects for parents with school going kids.
    26 Euri at the time and my first copy got thumbed to ****s before chaill me an labhair an traein

Anyway I bougfh a second one and got the idea of "converting the book" into an app.
    Something simmilar to the "Enjoy Irish" from "MAithu" although not in Ulster which is a pain (No offence ment but I prefer Munster or Connemara <munster sticks better to the grammar its seems to me as a beginner>)

I noticed that the printed text differs a bit on a few occasions from the spoken text howver.
    As well OCR does not really work on scanned pages and eventhough I have been offered a low level PDF this is not going to sort my OCR issue.

I dont know if anyone has this book or is familliar with its layout... but this is what I intend to do.

1st I do not want to infringe revenue to its writers. The book is cheap enough so if you are interested in getting it buy it!
    For those who exceed the level of the book but still want to help out. I want to make sections of it available in MP3 Format, Mind you not the whole CD just say 50 sentences.
    What I am looking for is for people to type these sentences out on a shared excel sheet after which I will be able to create an app whuich will allow:
    Users to select their preferred Dialect
    Jump Chapters , show translation , repeat a sentence etc.

At the moment the MP3's contain sometimes 2 or 3 sentences (Which i still have to break up into 2 or three sepreate files

I wam wondering if I could find any volunteers here to help me douing the type work
    Purely a labour of love ...

In return I will get you a copy of the app once finnished... I mean fair is fair..
    The App itself is going up to the writers publishers of the book and they can push it to Android Market and or convert for those fecking Iphone/pads as well.

For me its purely an app I would use myself in the Connaught and Munster.... and if there is some Ulsterperson out there who would like to help...I do not want to limmit the app to these two (although I will limmit my own knowledge)
    And an app that possibly could make these basic sentences accessible to others

So intersted in helping me out
    Just PM me

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3883

Hi, Did you ever complete this project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mfwic_47 wrote: »

Thanks for any help,

Frank

You are thinking of Forvo:
    https://forvo.com/languages/ga/

She's got close on 9k pronunciations on the site, she's from Conamara

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Advertisement