Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PhD - can you keep your Masters Degree?

Options
  • 24-10-2019 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

This might seem like a slightly odd question but I genuinely don't know the answer. I'm currently completing a Masters and I'm really contemplating continuing to PhD level thereafter. My exam results are looking good and my supervisor is impressed with my Thesis to date. If I complete my Masters and wish to do further research for a PhD on the same topic as my current thesis, do I still get awarded a Masters Degree and do I get to keep it? Or must I give it up if I complete a PhD on the same topic (with far greater research scope of course)?

Also, I'm working full time and I'm undertaking this additional study because it's something I'm very interested in, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my current job/career. I intend to keep working full-time while completing the PhD. It seems that a requirement of circa 200 pages is sufficient for a PhD in the university that I intend to complete it in. This to me seems very little given there is no much research to be done on my topic of interest. I genuinely feel I'd research and write what I'd need within 2 years. Is it a requirement that a PhD must take longer? Or is the time frame based on how quickly you can complete your research?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I pretty much did what you're talking about. Completed an MSc and then continued the same topic to PhD level and didn't lose my masters! I had enough done to complete the PhD after 2 years pooling all topic publications but in my college I think there was some 2.5 year minimum. Ended up spending 3 years

Advertisement