Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get off my Lawn!

• 18-07-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Chucked this fella over the wall the day before yesterday. Did a little googling for Irish Spiders but couldn't find a match

2dl5fsh.jpg

On a scale it rivaled the typical House spider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Common Giant House Spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Thanks. I've seen plenty of house spiders before inside but none with that colour. Is there a difference in colouring between male and female?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Answering my own question here.

I was thinking of the domestic house spider, which I've seen plenty of - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_domestica

This guy was a first for me. Previously if I heard a reference to Giant House Spiders, I'd always assume people were talking about the former.

Also, I thought the Domestic House Spiders were the biggest we got here so nice to have learned something.

Interesting
    With speeds clocked at 1.73 ft/s (0.53 m/s) (1.18 mph), the giant house spider held the Guinness Book of World Records for top spider speed until 1987 when it was displaced by solifugids, although the latter are not true spiders

This guy was no slouch either. The kids were fairly excited :D

Advertisement