Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭PommieBast

trigger26 wrote: »
    first house they couldn't find the deed, second house there was an issue with septic tank that would need pp, even this house had an issue with strip of land not registered on main folio.
    I sometimes wonder how on earth sellers expect such legal show-stoppers to go unnoticed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

PommieBast wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder how on earth sellers expect such legal show-stoppers to go unnoticed...

Hoping for a cash buyer. Had something similar with literally the first house we viewed on Saturday. Built an extension without PP, basically told in not so many words they wanted to go with cash buyer, who were giving the asking price, despite higher bids from first time buyers/mortgage. Guessing the PP isn't an issue for cash buyers?!

givyjoe wrote: »
    Hoping for a cash buyer. Had something similar with literally the first house we viewed on Saturday. Built an extension without PP, basically told in not so many words they wanted to go with cash buyer, who were giving the asking price, despite higher bids from first time buyers/mortgage. Guessing the PP isn't an issue for cash buyers?!
    I was that cast buyer for a house in Inchicore last year. What sort of solicitor did they expect me to hire? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

tusk wrote: »
    Just put our house up for sale this week. It's part of a new estate that we just bought into 18 months ago. Unfortunately due to a bereavement, we're moving back home to be closer to family.

We've been offered the same as what an empty new build around the corner went for, but we're hoping to get another 10k on top of that due to the bespoke kitchen, floors, attic and blinds we've installed - which I don't think is unreasonable.

If help to buy applies for the purchase price of the "new" build your pool of buyers might be smaller as they won't get the 5% refund on buying your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I was that cast buyer for a house in Inchicore last year. What sort of solicitor did they expect me to hire? :rolleyes:

Did you go through with the purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Selling a property at the moment. Estate agent is charging 1% of sale price. Seems very reasonable. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Selling a property at the moment. Estate agent is charging 1% of sale price. Seems very reasonable. Thoughts?

That's very good. We paid 3.25%. goddamn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

73trix wrote: »
    That's very good. We paid 3.25%. goddamn.

I guess its because they are a one off estate agents and not a chain. It matters but with myhome.ie etc it hopefully means the house will still be seen by who it needs to be seen by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Another browse online. So limited are the houses there, some for over a year. V frustrating how little stock is out there. Plenty of new builds but they're on top of each other with post stamp gardens and very expensive with the A rating. I'd prefer second hand with more space in a mature surroundings but at least a D. Have lived in 2 D houses for the past 15 years. They don't break the bank with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

There really is so little on the market, it's bizarre.

We are currently sale agreed and we were the only bidders on the house (we had to negotiate with the sellers though to agree a price) which I was surprised at. The house is in perfect condition and needs absolutely no work. The viewing we went to had 8 other couples there. I'm wondering if it was the price bracket. We are looking for between 500k-600k and I think the 300k-400k is where a lot of the competition is and the houses going over asking.

Tbh we could have waited and spent just a little more and got a much bigger house but this one was in the exact location we wanted and also in such good condition we felt we needed to just go for it. Given how little is coming on the market we could have waited and waited.

Oh and when we negotiated we ended up agreeing to the price the seller was looking for (which was still under the asking) and we stipulated that if we agreed to that the house would be taken off the market. The EA took the ad down when she received our booking deposit

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    The viewing we went to had 8 other couples there. I'm wondering if it was the price bracket. We are looking for between 500k-600k and I think the 300k-400k is where a lot of the competition is and the houses going over asking.
    Quite likely those 8 are people just having a look to see what is on offer for the money. I would say 250-350k rather than 300-400k but that minor point aside I suspect this range is mostly due to mortgage limits. The 500k bracket is going to be cash and equity-heavy buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

We are currently looking at houses in the 350-425k range and it's madness. At a guess, I'd say it's the most popular price bracket as there are so many people at the viewings.

I never thought house hunting would be so depressing :(! I always thought saving the deposit was going to be harder than finding a house we wanted, but it seems I may have been a bit naive on that front!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Went sale agreed yesterday, so now starting the anxious wait. I have let the bank and the solicitor know. Nothing much more I can do for the time being.

It will be a long few weeks now, but have my fingers crossed it will go smoothly and we will be in before summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Sale agreed and survey has brought up a few issues looking to get some money of is this the norm nowadays ie boiler not working ? No harm in trying is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Quite likely those 8 are people just having a look to see what is on offer for the money. I would say 250-350k rather than 300-400k but that minor point aside I suspect this range is mostly due to mortgage limits. The 500k bracket is going to be cash and equity-heavy buyers.

Yes, I was thinking mortgage limits would constrain people and perhaps that's why that price range maybe isn't as popular. Although we were bidding on another house with an asking of 570k and we got outbid and walked away as the house needed so much work paying anymore wasn't worthwhile.

I never thought house hunting would be so depressing :(! I always thought saving the deposit was going to be harder than finding a house we wanted, but it seems I may have been a bit naive on that front!

I don't really enjoy it either. I always thought I'd love looking at other people's houses but tbh I just find it stressful. This is our second time buying a house and I'm hoping we won't be doing it again for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Without a LIT exemption this would mean a mortgage for a couple with a combined salary of €70-100k, so it makes sense it's crowded. It sounds like once you get beyond that you get people further on in careers and/or off the back of selling their first property, so the market thins out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Kind of interesting to different thoughts of opinions as to the competitive bracket...

I've probably spent 6months or so looking for a place and having learnt a couple of stuff about houses in terms of making improvements/costings, I really should have bought some of the houses I initially saw at Sep-Nov.

By december I knew I could be ****ed. Anyway....I'm done. I'll revisit Jan 2021 if I'm alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

Woshy wrote: »
    There really is so little on the market, it's bizarre.

We are currently sale agreed and we were the only bidders on the house (we had to negotiate with the sellers though to agree a price) which I was surprised at. The house is in perfect condition and needs absolutely no work. The viewing we went to had 8 other couples there. I'm wondering if it was the price bracket. We are looking for between 500k-600k and I think the 300k-400k is where a lot of the competition is and the houses going over asking.

Tbh we could have waited and spent just a little more and got a much bigger house but this one was in the exact location we wanted and also in such good condition we felt we needed to just go for it. Given how little is coming on the market we could have waited and waited.

Oh and when we negotiated we ended up agreeing to the price the seller was looking for (which was still under the asking) and we stipulated that if we agreed to that the house would be taken off the market. The EA took the ad down when she received our booking deposit
    We are also looking in that price bracket but are finding that the supply is limited.

First time buyers but there’s just nothing out there that would make us think yeah this is the one! Don’t mind a house that needs some work. All we need is an average sized 3bed semi/terrace with an average sized garden.

Maybe it’s the area (Blackrock/Booterstown). We’re not desperate to buy but would like to bid on something and see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

TM2015 wrote: »
    We’re not desperate to buy but would like to bid on something and see where it goes.
    Right! If it was a case of getting pipped but still following a process along, it would be one thing, but most of the properties seemingly coming out now are non-starters because of price or condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Buying now. 125k. This craic is all news to me some stuff was sent to my solicitor apparently but i have to wait to find out what happens next. I am living in a very small house and sharing so dieing to get out of it really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Was interested in a house that had an asking price of 275. In an ok-ish area in Dublin, one that has taken a posher name of its neighbour but not actually that area. Basic house, bathroom downstairs, needed rewiring and a layout change fairly soon.

Just seen today it went for 335k. Now maybe there was a bidding war, and two people wanted to live on that road for sentimental or other reasons, but a 60k increase on a poor-average house. The last house on the road to sell last year was bigger, in better condition, and went for 305.

The market between 260ish-300 for second hand houses is definitely hot at the moment. It’s like a mini bubble with in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sale agreed and survey has brought up a few issues looking to get some money of is this the norm nowadays ie boiler not working ? No harm in trying is there?

A reduction would depend on how quickly the buyer wants to sell, how big demand is in your area, and whether he/she thinks another bidder will pay what you are offering.

A survey will always highlight a few items, but a lot of sellers will tell you it is being sold as seen. I sold a house recently and told the EA to inform anyone who asks that I would be doing no work on the house, it was being sold as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

Cash buyers don't need the bank to sign off on the valuation. A house with an extension with no planning might raise issues and have the mortgage refused.

Did you go through with the purchase?
    No. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Was interested in a house that had an asking price of 275. In an ok-ish area in Dublin, one that has taken a posher name of its neighbour but not actually that area. Basic house, bathroom downstairs, needed rewiring and a layout change fairly soon.

Just seen today it went for 335k. Now maybe there was a bidding war, and two people wanted to live on that road for sentimental or other reasons, but a 60k increase on a poor-average house. The last house on the road to sell last year was bigger, in better condition, and went for 305.

The market between 260ish-300 for second hand houses is definitely hot at the moment. It’s like a mini bubble with in the market.

Its been like that for the last 2 years ( well in decent areas cork city anyway ) . tough market and with no data to back me up on this just my own learning e - estimating they are over valued by about 30/40k - location being the biggest driving factor ( not condition)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I'll be in a position to buy late July . Is it too early to start looking around ?

I'll be in a position to buy late July . Is it too early to start looking around ?

I have been looking for over 12 months.......in a position to buy......guess it depends what you want.
    It's not my first property & I am noticing a terrible lack of supply.....this is in Dublin though.
    I would for sure be looking if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

Absolutely not - start now. Set up Alerts in Myhome/Daft for where you want to buy and price bracket ( go slightly up from your budget so you can see what properties are there and what you get for your budget) . Go to viewings as this will give you a sense of the market and dealing with Estate Agents !

I started Aug 2017 … finally purchased late 2019 :eek: !!

best of luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

There is very little supply out there at the minute, in the meantime I wonder is the economic shock likely to cause inflation? The supply side of the economy will be suffering for the foreseeable future and money is about to get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

With the carnage in Financial markets today, how's everyone thinking?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen properties that were sale agreed come back on the market..tho it could be due to many reasons....

I've gone sale agreed 10days ago but I've not started paper work or stuff yet.. The market doesn't have me spooked yet but this could start a snow ball effect.

Advertisement