Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knightsgate, Rush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

omgsorcha wrote: »
    Brooks for floors. Be wary of all the sales people who target new estates. A blind company from swords Samrod I think, pushed their way into my house one day and wouldn’t leave. Gave me a fright.

I agree. Was kind of mentioned before at some point, but Samrod kinda did the same with us. Not in a frightening way, but very pushy and went to huge lengths to point out the extra things they have/do that others don't.
    Turns out the others - that we looked into - did do these and for a LOT cheaper, at the same quality. We ended up with East Cost Blinds, no complaints and was definitely a few hundred cheaper.

For floors we went with Des Kelly, which we only found out after was a big no no for most people. So we were very worried and agonised about their apparent 'shoddy installations', but we really had no issues. Maybe we were just lucky, but it was a lot of unnecessary worry in the lead up.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

We went with Hamptons floor store, really recommend them. Their fitters were great.

We went with shutters rather than blinds. The company was Sienna shutters. Really happy with them, but lead time is 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paddy.81

Did you have to get the skirting boards taken off to put down the floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

paddy.81 wrote: »

To do it properly yes ?

Most companies will leave the skirting boards and put a beading around the edges.
    There is a good chance the skirting will split when you take it off and have to be replaced.
    However seeing as its a fairly long lasting job personally I would replace the skirting if required

brisan wrote: »
    To do it properly yes ?

Most companies will leave the skirting boards and put a beading around the edges.
    There is a good chance the skirting will split when you take it off and have to be replaced.
    However seeing as its a fairly long lasting job personally I would replace the skirting if required

Yep, and it looks better with skirting off and then put back on over it. Its not that hard to do yourself with a crowbar, just be careful not to damage the wall over it. Or a handyman could do it. Fitter might do it, but will charge.

We were told the boards were just 'tacked on' and they come off easily, needless to say we found they were hammered in tight with loads of nails.

• Advertisement

paddy.81 wrote: »

Hamptons took off the skirting for the flooring

• Registered Users Posts: 26 omgsorcha

Just some information for all the people who are just moving in now.

(I know this has been said before but I really wasn’t paying attention to everything about broadband at the time.)

Make sure you get a plug socket put in the hallway for your broadband connection and bring the cable in beside it. Otherwise cable will run around the front of the house and you don’t want to be drilling holes in your house, plus it doesn’t look great to have cable running overground.

We noticed the ducting for the cable stops short of where the cable is pulled into the Eir box on the side of the house. We are going to seal that up otherwise mice/rats can crawl up from the manhole and get into the cavity of the house and no one wants that !

If you haven’t snagged yet you should get the builders to do this properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichelleMF

Thanks Sorcha! Any tips are greatly appreciated. We have already snagged but will look into this for sure. Hopefully going to move in within the next month all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Laurendon

Wondering has anyone got out door plugs and if they could recommend anyone to do them - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichelleMF

Hey guys, bit of a weird question but what did people do when they were waiting for their blinds/curtains to be put up? Im trying to find some sort of temporary window covering solution.

• Advertisement

MichelleMF wrote: »
    Hey guys, bit of a weird question but what did people do when they were waiting for their blinds/curtains to be put up? Im trying to find some sort of temporary window covering solution.

IKEA have temporary blinds that we used, they did the job.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/schottis-block-out-pleated-blind-dark-grey-90369507/

Anyone find the houses colder with those open plastic vents in the walls? Is it safe to cover them or replace them with adjustable vents.

Anyone find the houses colder with those open plastic vents in the walls? Is it safe to cover them or replace them with adjustable vents.

Yep, I'm thinking of putting cowling on the outside (like these: https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-cowl-vent-white-125mm/54366?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvRz0f2gmupkZUctleq_G0lEf06l5xjKp96pZxkrR9Kb-x2i1I_j7NAaAhSdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) and adjustable vents inside

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frank Grimes433

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed our trees at the front of the house are dying. Does anyone know if Glenveagh cover this? I’m only in the house 5 weeks and a lot of leaves are yellow and brown already which is disappointing. I don’t know if they were being watered before we moved in.

Thanks

Just on this again. I replaced a few of the vents today with adjustable vents and notice the difference already. They're about €9 in woodies

Just on this again. I replaced a few of the vents today with adjustable vents and notice the difference already. They're about €9 in woodies

Interesting, are these the vents with the little slider thing to close them?

Interesting, are these the vents with the little slider thing to close them?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

Did you just replace the cover on the outside or inside too?

Brego888 wrote: »
    Did you just replace the cover on the outside or inside too?

Just the inside for the moment, I want to do the outside at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 solvendy

Any word on a residents association starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 omgsorcha

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed our trees at the front of the house are dying. Does anyone know if Glenveagh cover this? I’m only in the house 5 weeks and a lot of leaves are yellow and brown already which is disappointing. I don’t know if they were being watered before we moved in.

Thanks

Hi,

The builders didn’t water the Laurel hedging on any of the vacant houses durning the summer. That’s why the leaves are turning yellow now and they look a little sad (it’s the plants way of protecting itself over winter as they didn’t get enough food/water in growing season) they aren’t dead.

There isn’t much you can do over winter as they are dormant but when spring comes feed the hedge every few days and water it a lot. Make sure to water it from the roots, not from above. Laurels don’t like to have their leaves watered and will start to develop little holes that look like insects are eating it.

Our hedge was almost bare with no leaves when we moved in, it looked beyond hope but Laurels are hardy. Lots of feeding/watering and it looks great now.

Hi All,

Does anyone notice liquid coming from under the heat pump? It’s not much but I can see the pavement wet around it?

Sorry if silly question but never used one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

It's normal, shouldn't be pouring out of it or anything but drops are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

How do you switch the water off in the house? I assume there's a valve somewhere but I've no idea where, was just thinking looking at the frozen garden this morning that it's something I should probably know in case of a burst pipe at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

How do you switch the water off in the house? I assume there's a valve somewhere but I've no idea where, was just thinking looking at the frozen garden this morning that it's something I should probably know in case of a burst pipe at some stage!

Normally a main valve under the sink as this will be the only place with mains water
    There may also be a mains stopcock out on the road but you will need a special tool to isolate from there
    These houses may be different though

There is a penny valve underneath each of the sinks which can stop water from there aswel if you have an issue upstairs in the house.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone notice their kitchen much colder compared to other rooms in the house?

I’m wondering if it’s simply the vents or a bigger issue.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Does anyone notice their kitchen much colder compared to other rooms in the house?

I’m wondering if it’s simply the vents or a bigger issue.

Thanks

I do, but I put it down to the large amount of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

I do, but I put it down to the large amount of glass

Yep, i thought the same. So much glass on one side.

• Advertisement

The new road layout is a surprise today, it looks like it’s going to be a main road towards Skerries. Does anyone know if planning has been approved on same? Thanks

Advertisement