Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options for enforcing no parking on a private road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Cyrus wrote: »
    Thanks for two links to the uk which I assume you didn’t actually read ? No one was prosecuted .

Again depending on the type of sticker I’d doubt criminal damage would be assumed.

Go put a difficult to remive sticker on the window of a Garda car and see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

Based on the OP this is not a regular occurance. It mentions from time to time people use it to collect kids. Also if primary or secondary then will not be using it to drop off kids. So it is just collection.

I fail to see what the issue is here? people have a driveway, nothing is mentioned about blocking of driveway. Why would anyone bring a dog to an estate to let run around with cars etc??

Maybe just try to be nice, I doubt it makes any real difference to you or the resident if 1-2 people park for a few mins collecting kids.

Can you just remove the ability to park? Residents don't need it so there's no point having it.
    Take that space away from the road by making the road a few feet narrower?

Large planters, relandscaping to move the kerb out, large rocks at close intervals, bollards in the road . . .whatever is feasible.

I would expect that family/friends use the spots when visting the estate. So blocking off all parking would only cause problems for the residents. I think they should do clamping, then they will end up paying a fortune for the clampers, plus then a fortune when they have to constantly pay for friends/family to get the clamps off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Kowerski wrote: »
    I would expect that family/friends use the spots when visting the estate. So blocking off all parking would only cause problems for the residents. I think they should do clamping, then they will end up paying a fortune for the clampers, plus then a fortune when they have to constantly pay for friends/family to get the clamps off

Op said there are 3 spaces per house and designated guest parking spots so in this case they don't.

Op said there are 3 spaces per house and designated guest parking spots so in this case they don't.

Sorry I missed so what is the problem with the odd person collecting children? they are not blocking the residents or visitors which is the main issue the majority of people would have. I don't see what the issue is here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Why are parents using this estate to park their cars? Is there insufficient parking outside the school?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Go put a difficult to remive sticker on the window of a Garda car and see what happens!

Ah but don't to see that the op has never personally encountered or read about someone being prosecuted for it, therefore it's legal.

Why are parents using this estate to park their cars? Is there insufficient parking outside the school?

Most schools have parking for teachers only, then a system to get people in/out during pick up. Drop off is never an issue.

IN reality this can be a nightmare as suddenly for about 10 minutes you have a huge influx of traffic. The school and parents do the best they can but nobody can build a couple of hundred carpark for 10 mins per day. Some people will use local estates to leave car, run pick up children and then go on. Probably a max of 10 mins parked.

The days of friendly neighbours is gone.....based on this post, the people in this estate would prefer to inconvience themselves to try and block the odd person parking for a few mins collecting kids. It is baffling the lenghts that people will go to in order to annoy a complete stranger

Most schools have parking for teachers only, then a system to get people in/out during pick up. Drop off is never an issue.

IN reality this can be a nightmare as suddenly for about 10 minutes you have a huge influx of traffic. The school and parents do the best they can but nobody can build a couple of hundred carpark for 10 mins per day. Some people will use local estates to leave car, run pick up children and then go on. Probably a max of 10 mins parked.

The days of friendly neighbours is gone.....based on this post, the people in this estate would prefer to inconvience themselves to try and block the odd person parking for a few mins collecting kids. It is baffling the lenghts that people will go to in order to annoy a complete stranger

I get that, I have small children myself.

I suppose my point was where else does OP expect parents to park to drop off their children.

Personally I’d only consider it an inconvenience were cars to block my driveway but that aside it’s a bit of a first world dilemma.

I get that, I have small children myself.

I suppose my point was where else does OP expect parents to park to drop off their children.

Personally I’d only consider it an inconvenience were cars to block my driveway but that aside it’s a bit of a first world dilemma.

I expect the OP doesn't care. I used to live in an area beside a primary school. Yes people came nad parked but didn't block driveway or anything and after 10 mins the whole thing was over and everyone moved on with the rest of the day.

No idea why someone wouldn't want to help out a neighbour by letting them park for a few mins while collecting kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I expect the OP doesn't care. I used to live in an area beside a primary school. Yes people came nad parked but didn't block driveway or anything and after 10 mins the whole thing was over and everyone moved on with the rest of the day.

No idea why someone wouldn't want to help out a neighbour by letting them park for a few mins while collecting kids.

I didn’t ask for people’s opinion on whether it was an issue in their mind or not but yet people still feel it’s incumbent on them to opine.

Was where people were parking near your old house private or public land?

And they aren’t my neighbours they are are people with kids in a nearby school .

Ah but don't to see that the op has never personally encountered or read about someone being prosecuted for it, therefore it's legal.

Thought you were going stop repeating yourself ?

They aren’t parking in spots they are parking on a drive way blocking half of it or parking on our paths and half on the driveway blocking residents with buggies .

They aren’t parking in spots they are parking on a drive way blocking half of it or parking on our paths and half on the driveway blocking residents with buggies .

Come on, tell the truth. What exactly is the problem with helping out people in the local area? has this always been a problem or just an issue now with covid and some people seem to have turned against each other

Come on, tell the truth. What exactly is the problem with helping out people in the local area? has this always been a problem or just an issue now with covid and some people seem to have turned against each other

The issue is keeping people out of a private area pre, during and post Covid

Ok with you ?

The issue is keeping people out of a private area pre, during and post Covid

Ok with you ?

You complained at the start the council hasn't taken over the driveway, now you are saying it is a private area?

As I said, get a clamper.

You complained at the start the council hasn't taken over the driveway, now you are saying it is a private area?

As I said, get a clamper. It is lovely to see the people in Ireland trying to screw over people in their community

You haven’t read the thread , they will never take it over , it is private and owned by the residents , my only complaint is that we can’t put gates up .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You haven’t read the thread , they will never take it over , it is private and owned by the residents , my only complaint is that we can’t put gates up .

Why do you want gates? They are expensive to maintain. And a pain in the arse for delivery drivers.

Get the gates. I think that is the best option for you. I have a guy who can install them, and service them, and fix them, and service them and fix them and paint them

Sure what is 15-20k over a few years if you can block a few people parking for 5-10 mins

ted1 wrote: »
    Why do you want gates? They are expensive to maintain. And a pain in the arse for delivery drivers.

ANd midwives, postmen, bin men etc etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Not to mention they're a danger to the children you say you're trying to protect.

ted1 wrote: »

I’d have thought it was obvious by now. Keep unwanted people out .

Get the gates. I think that is the best option for you. I have a guy who can install them, and service them, and fix them, and service them and fix them and paint them

Sure what is 15-20k over a few years if you can block a few people parking for 5-10 mins

You obviously either can’t or don’t read, we can’t get planning for them .

Gates will cost at least 20k if not more. Probably closer to 30k by the time you put in intercom system to every house/apartment. Are you really going to spend 30k just to stop a few people from parking the odd time.

Plus the council can take over the road, they done it in ours. You need to sign off the road to them. Don't expect the council either to block people from parking for a few mins.

You obviously either can’t or don’t read, we can’t get planning for them .

It was a joke. Who in their right mind would actually go and ask to install gates in first place just to block a few mothers

Plus the council can take over the road, they done it in ours. You need to sign off the road to them. Don't expect the council either to block people from parking for a few mins.

Please stop talking about something you know nothing about.

Mods best close this thread I got the info I needed and now we have a load of people giving misinformed advice that wasn’t asked for.

Please stop talking about something you know nothing about.

Where should they park then?

Is there enough space outside the school?

Where should they park then?

Is there enough space outside the school?

That’s hardly our issue ? Should they park in private houses around the school? Seems to be what some are advocating live and let live and all that

• Advertisement

Mods best close this thread I got the info I needed and now we have a load of people giving misinformed advice that wasn’t asked for.

I think that’s entirely unfair.

Personally was trying to ascertain if parents had any other choice but to park in your estate or not.

Advertisement