Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Seems unlikely you would need a 3 phase power supply. The people over on the EV forum can advise but generally they're only needed if you have power showers and don't want to apply an automatic switch in the main fuse board to switch off charging when the shower is on. Note a 3 phase power supply will not improve charging time, you're going to max out the current the EV can handle on a normal power supply. Out of interest what is leading you down the 3 phase road?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

The folks over in the EV forum said id need that to have more than 7KWH charging capability. Unsure myself really, just figuring this stuff out for first time.

Correct, you'll max out at the 7.4 Kwh/32 Amp on single phase. If you have no electric shower in the house, you should be able to power your EV and run your household. If you get something like a KIA eNiro it is rated at 7.2 Kwh so 3 phase will offer no extra value. I'd taken my eye off the ball and hadn't noticed there was a 11 kwh EV available in Ireland I guess this is why you are interested in greater than 7.4 kwh?

Yes exactly. Thanks!

Possible to support a 3 phase system in our development do you know?

I don't see why not, we're right by an industrial estate so I cannot imagine there is any issue. A quick browse advises people to contact ESB Networks to find out. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Manion wrote: »
    I don't see why not, we're right by an industrial estate so I cannot imagine there is any issue. A quick browse advises people to contact ESB Networks to find out. Let us know how you get on.

Need to get Seai grant organized in order to find out.

Another sort of related question, has anybody considered putting solar panels on the roof? Would it make any sense? Is it allowed even?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Correct, you'll max out at the 7.4 Kwh/32 Amp on single phase. If you have no electric shower in the house, you should be able to power your EV and run your household. If you get something like a KIA eNiro it is rated at 7.2 Kwh so 3 phase will offer no extra value. I'd taken my eye off the ball and hadn't noticed there was a 11 kwh EV available in Ireland I guess this is why you are interested in greater than 7.4 kwh?

Are you mixing up the battery size kWh and charging speed kw?
    Chumpski wrote: »
    Yes exactly. Thanks!

Possible to support a 3 phase system in our development do you know?

No, no dwelling is constructed with 3 phase in Ireland unless specifically designed for from commencement. And also the much larger costs involved in getting 3 phase into a house make it only something that may occur in one offs.

Not in a large developers scheme like RCP.

7kw is generally the fastest you can go in a domestic setting. That’s 32a.
    What size is the charger in the EV you are looking at?

For example new leaf is 6.6kw.
    Model s has 22kw split over dual chargers so,3 phase required to get that over type 2 connection.

The 2020 Niro has an 11kw on board charger. You’ll get this speed at the public eCar 22kw chargers once you have the correct cable, a 32a 3 phase version.
    At home you’ll get 7kw which is -lefty enough to charge to full over night and have 100% every morning should you need it.

Need to get Seai grant organized in order to find out.

Another sort of related question, has anybody considered putting solar panels on the roof? Would it make any sense? Is it allowed even?

Yes there are -panning exemptions up to 50% of the roof area or 12 sq. m, whatever is the largest.

What is the space heating in rcp? Gas boiler or A2W?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Can Royal Canal Park be a rough area. It's right beside Finglas. What type of an area is it. I mean what would you describe it as. Hardly upmarket. If one brought there could there possibly be anti social problems particularly at night eg joy riding etc. I was thinking of Watermint Court. Are these mostly rented out
    There doesnt seem to be many amenities nearby and only a centra shop. Many thanks for any info.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Are you mixing up the battery size kWh and charging speed kw?

I don't think so. I wonder where I picked up the extra h.
    No, no dwelling is constructed with 3 phase in Ireland unless specifically designed for from commencement. And also the much larger costs involved in getting 3 phase into a house make it only something that may occur in one offs.

Not in a large developers scheme like RCP.

7kw is generally the fastest you can go in a domestic setting. That’s 32a.
    What size is the charger in the EV you are looking at?

For example new leaf is 6.6kw.
    Model s has 22kw split over dual chargers so,3 phase required to get that over type 2 connection.

The 2020 Niro has an 11kw on board charger. You’ll get this speed at the public eCar 22kw chargers once you have the correct cable, a 32a 3 phase version.
    At home you’ll get 7kw which is -lefty enough to charge to full over night and have 100% every morning should you need it.

A quick reading around seems to indicate there is no issue getting a 3 phase power supply installed in a domestic property? It's expensive but why would you not be able to get it in RCP?

• Advertisement

I don't think so. I wonder where I picked up the extra h.

I think that’s it. The Niro has an 11kw on board charger. The battery size is measured in kWh.

A quick reading around seems to indicate there is no issue getting a 3 phase power supply installed in a domestic property? It's expensive but why would you not be able to get it in RCP?

I never said it wasn’t possible. The op is buying in a developer built estate. The standard ESB infrastructure is there. For him to get 3ph, I would imagine would be mega money and he would never recoup that cost through charging.

Yes there are -panning exemptions up to 50% of the roof area or 12 sq. m, whatever is the largest.

What is the space heating in rcp? Gas boiler or A2W?

The orginal planning application house designs had solar panels but they where removed in favour of a A2W heat pump. Works great. Not sure how cost effective solar panels would be on top of that.
    Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Can Royal Canal Park be a rough area. It's right beside Finglas. What type of an area is it. I mean what would you describe it as. Hardly upmarket. If one brought there could there possibly be anti social problems particularly at night eg joy riding etc. I was thinking of Watermint Court. Are these mostly rented out
    There doesnt seem to be many amenities nearby and only a centra shop. Many thanks for any info.

Whats your definition of upmarket? It's certainly a very middle class area. You can have anti social problems in any part of Dublin. It's not right beside Finglas really. There are plenty of amenities in the locality.

Yeah I was asking as the Niro can support 11KW charging and was wondering if possible from home. Thanks I see now it’s not possible and that up to 7 KW charging is all that a house can do.

On the solar panel question, I was wondering if the cost of solar panels would make sense versus reducing energy bills even further by having them.

The heat pump n the house heats house efficiently but can’t possibly for example feed energy back into the power grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Amenity wise it probably has among the highest in Dublin within an easy walk.

2 train stations within 15 mins, luas line, aldi, centra, barbers, hairdressers, beauty salon, spar, super valu, pharmacy, 2 cafes, 2 takeaways, bus service, greenway for both strolls and commute, tolka park, gym, 2 community centres, 2 creches, 1 primary school. . . I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

More schools, swimming pools, phoenix park, cafes, restaurants etc within a longer walk or easy cycle.

3rd train station within a year with a bridge which brings Navan Road amenities into play.

Anti social type problems wise it's pretty low. The community is very active on whatever issues arise. RCP management company have a security guard and cameras too. I've never had any issues in 5 years living in the area.

Amenity wise it probably has among the highest in Dublin within an easy walk.

2 train stations within 15 mins, luas line, aldi, centra, barbers, hairdressers, beauty salon, spar, super valu, pharmacy, 2 cafes, 2 takeaways, bus service, greenway for both strolls and commute, tolka park, gym, 2 community centres, 2 creches, 1 primary school. . . I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

More schools, swimming pools, phoenix park, cafes, restaurants etc within a longer walk or easy cycle.

3rd train station within a year with a bridge which brings Navan Road amenities into play.

Anti social type problems wise it's pretty low. The community is very active on whatever issues arise. RCP management company have a security guard and cameras too. I've never had any issues in 5 years living in the area.

At the end of the day RCP it's right beside Finglas which as we all know has a very bad name for shootings murders etc. I was told the only shop near Watermint Court was a centra. Did Aldi open up lately ? This had put me off the area. The area is also right beside a huge industrial estate which doesnt add to its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

At the end of the day RCP it's right beside Finglas which as we all know has a very bad name for shootings murders etc. I was told the only shop near Watermint Court was a centra. Did Aldi open up lately ? This had put me off the area. The area is also right beside a huge industrial estate which doesnt add to its appeal.

You planning on moving in or buying?
    If not then why comment on a thread about an area where most of the posters have purchased, just to **** on their new homes?
    If not then this is just fishing for reactions.

Everywhere in dublin is beside somewhere else. Terenure, one of the most expensive areas in thr country is beside crumlin, doesn't affect that area too much.

I've lived in RCP for a while now and it's no better or worse than anywhere else in Dublin, and personally I've had less issues here than when living in Dundrum/sandyford.

It's 20 mins from city center by bike, 30 mins by luas or bus, train station comming. having Aldi so close is awesome, saves having to drive to tesco/lidl/dunnes. Also has 2 spars and a centra in the village. Well equipt for shopping.

Some of the unused industrial area is being flattened for new developments, the rest is busy and kept well so not an issue.

25 min walk to Phoenix park or 10 min cycle, walk along the canal is lovely, tolka park is nice so lots of places to get out for a walk.

Wrt crime, there are occasional bikes stolen. I had 3 bikes stolen in the dundrum/sandyford area years ago so that's not specific to anywhere in Dublin. That's as far as it goes WRT antisocial behavior. No joy riding, shootings or murders in the years I've been living here. I have never felt unsafe.

It's a great place to live. It will suit some and not suit others. No big deal if it's not your thing, but that's no reason to dump on the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

<MOD SNIP>

RCP is a great place to live and very safe, it’s as close to castleknock as it is finglas. It sits up on a mound/ bank and the tolka park provides distance between finglas and it. Plenty of nice people amd good spirited communities there too.

Yeah I was asking as the Niro can support 11KW charging and was wondering if possible from home. Thanks I see now it’s not possible and that up to 7 KW charging is all that a house can do.

On the solar panel question, I was wondering if the cost of solar panels would make sense versus reducing energy bills even further by having them.

The heat pump n the house heats house efficiently but can’t possibly for example feed energy back into the power grid?

There is no feed in tarrif for excess electricity generation in Ireland. So the PV panels would need a battery to make use of the stored excess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Yyhhhuu, knock it off. You appear to have confused this thread for a general Finglas bashing. Take it somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post.

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

Mod Note

Yyhhhuu, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

When I bought a Heron style house in 2016, the evaluation report then had 300K for the house rebuilding cost. it was evaluated again in January 2020 for a mortgage switch - they say 690K 'to include demolition, site clearance, and professional fees'. Just renewing the home insurance and was going to update the house rebuilding cost. I didn't cop it at the time the last report was issued, but surely 690K must be a typo! Curious to know what s the average rebuild cost that other Heron homeowners are using for insurance 2020 purposes? :)

I think rebuild cost for insurance proposes is typically calculated as a percentage of the mortgage.

The society of chartered surveyors have a House Rebuilding Calculator on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

dovetail wrote: »
    When I bought a Heron style house in 2016, the evaluation report then had 300K for the house rebuilding cost. it was evaluated again in January 2020 for a mortgage switch - they say 690K 'to include demolition, site clearance, and professional fees'. Just renewing the home insurance and was going to update the house rebuilding cost. I didn't cop it at the time the last report was issued, but surely 690K must be a typo! Curious to know what s the average rebuild cost that other Heron homeowners are using for insurance 2020 purposes? :)

Just Moved my insurance to An post and used €318,270 as rebuild cost

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

dovetail wrote: »
    When I bought a Heron style house in 2016, the evaluation report then had 300K for the house rebuilding cost. it was evaluated again in January 2020 for a mortgage switch - they say 690K 'to include demolition, site clearance, and professional fees'.

What value did the new mortgage company took into consideration? I'm thinking to switch the mortgage and curious what LTV bracket will I be in. I have a Heron as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

andreionut wrote: »
    What value did the new mortgage company took into consideration? I'm thinking to switch the mortgage and curious what LTV bracket will I be in. I have a Heron as well.

Heron with 1 car space was valued @ 440K pre-pandemic / Feb 2020

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Why is there a helicopter above us at night several times per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Has anyone in a Ballymore house replaced a toilet seat?
    One of ours is broken and I'm mithered trying to work out what is compatible.

• Advertisement

Has anyone in a Ballymore house replaced a toilet seat?
    One of ours is broken and I'm mithered trying to work out what is compatible.

Same issue. If you find out can you post back here? I never realised there was so many variants on toilet seats.

Advertisement