Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course you are noted for your wind breaking ability

Only whilst wearing the appropriately-named equipment.

Otherwise that would be breaking “The Rules”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Samsong

It's time to get rid of bloated public sector pensions and put the money towards the country and its infrastructure

One of the representatives of the occupation was just interviewed on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivertime programme.

No mention of demanding asset-stripping of private property, he clarified that they are requesting that the Department/ Local Authority compulsorily purchase vacant properties in the city, for social housing.

Not exactly a radical stance, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of the representatives of the occupation was just interviewed on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivertime programme.

No mention of demanding asset-stripping of private property, he clarified that they are requesting that the Department/ Local Authority compulsorily purchase vacant properties in the city, for social housing.

Did he stand in some election to become a representative of the people?

He may have been chosen by the other like minded people to talk to the media.

What is your situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Without CPOs, I wonder how many motorways we'd have...

Samsong wrote: »
    He may have been chosen by the other like minded people to talk to the media.

What is your situation?

Someone who wouldn't like anyone to break into my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It all depends on how “vacant” is defined for any CPOs.

Given the latest property occupied has been tied up in the planning process, and only finally got approval for redevelopment in the past 3 months, it would appear that the protest groups have one hell of a wide definition of what they’ll call “vacant” and set their eyes on.

It sounds dangerously like how Antifa and violence-loving cheerleaders in here try it brand everyone who disagrees with them as “fascist”, before declaring that its valid to assault anyone they’ve branded as fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gctest50 wrote: »
    There was a court order telling them to gtf out of the building

Where were all the protesters when that court was on ?

Why didn't the protesters hire lawyers and whatnot to put their "case" forward ?

Couldn't get time off work maybe ? lol

perhapse they did have lawyers. or if not, as you said, perhapse they couldn't get time off work. it's not something we will know (for now at least)
    as we know, a lot of protesters do actually work.

The Nal wrote: »
    If you break into someones property and refuse to leave and end up getting arrested or getting the shít kicked out of you, tough titties.

What did they expect?! They broke into someones private property.

As for the owner, according to Take Back the City themselves, the she has worked in a humanitarian capacity in Romania for years, worked for the non profit Women for Election and is now director of The Irish Environmental Conservation Organisation For Youth Unesco Clubs.

Seems like an upstanding member of society who does a lot of good right?

So lets break into her property.

These people are scum. As is anyone who thinks breaking and entering is ok.

arrested, yes. the shít kicked out of you, not tough titties as it's asalt.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Why are you asking me?

I'm just saying what I heard on the radio; nobody claimed that he was a public representative.

Do all activists have to be local election candidates or something?:confused:

• Advertisement

Someone who wouldn't like anyone to break into my house.

That's nice.
    Who are you?

Why are you asking me?

I'm just saying what I heard on the radio; nobody claimed that he was a public representative.

Do all activists have to be local election candidates or something?:confused:

If a candidate stood on a policy of breaking into houses to achieve political aims, would you vote for them?

If a candidate stood on a policy of breaking into houses to achieve political aims, would you vote for them?
    Who are you on about, Michael Davitt?

I'd definitely vote for Michael Davitt.

He's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Citizens are allowed express opinions without having to be elected. Most people we hear on the radio haven't been elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Right so the government have announced billions of tax payers money to be spent housing spongers and wasters over the next decade.

Is that enough for these morons to go way now?

What more do they want?

Right so the government have announced billions of tax payers money to be spent housing spongers and wasters over the next decade.

What more do they want?

I just announced to the family that I will be traveling to the moon on Wednesday.

I just announced to the family that I will be traveling to the moon on Wednesday.

Good comparison, seriously.

So far this year there is 4,000 social houses, too much if you ask me.

Some sort of tent city in Leitrim would be more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What more do they want?

what spongers and wasters?
    lots and lots of people both in social housing, and struggling in this current crisis, work. are they all "spongers and wasters" dispite working?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

How many times has that been announced? it's not new.
    That figure is wrong, this has been pointed out to you earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

We are close to full employment currently. It's not spongers and wasters effeted by this housing crisis it's hitting almost everyone. Couples with decent fulltime jobs are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What do you think working people who can't afford a mortgage should do?

He is probably not feeling the "boom" despite commuting long distances and working even longer hours. It's easier to blame the poor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Some sort of tent city in Leitrim would be more suitable

Why does everyone always say send em to Leitrim Feck off send them to Cavan

I responded to you showing the link that it’s true????

I’ll do it again so

Save like everyone had too you know for generations before.

Except spongers and wasters of course, case in point mrs cash.

https://www.google.com...798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).

I responded to you showing the link that it’s true????
    I responded too, showing you that the true figure of local authority builds is a small fraction of that.

Maybe you didn't see it, or maybe you didn't read your own link.

edit: ah, you didn't read your own link.
    https://www.google.com...798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).

That's a projection which relates to a combination of private builds and local authority builds. It has no factual basis in what has been built.

a good guide to use might be the fact that Dublin City Council built 197 local authority units last year.

• Advertisement

I responded too, showing you that the true figure of local authority builds is a small fraction of that.

Maybe you didn't see it, or maybe you didn't read your own link.

edit: ah, you didn't read your own link.

That's a projection which relates to a combination of private builds and local authority builds. It has no factual basis in what has been built.

a good guide to use might be the fact that Dublin City Council built 197 local authority units last year.

I’m talking about this year.

Advertisement