Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths Valuations: Subletting a vacant house

• 27-08-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    Michael Kelly was a tenant of John Bagot, but he is sub-leasing a house on his farm with the occupier listed as "vacant". I'm confused as to what that means - how do you sublet a house to no one? Did he usually sublet the house but at the time of the Valuation, nobody was living there?  My other theory is that perhaps his widowed mother lived there. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Can you please give a link to the records (or the address so we can look it up)?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I've seen this in my family too. I never gave it too much thought. Here's my ancestor William Feenaghty under the townland Tully at number 11. I've attached the image since you can't seem to link to the site.

He lived in house 'a' and his second and youngest son stayed there while his eldest son (my ancestor) eventually went to live in house 'b.' House 'c' no longer exists so I don't know what became of that house. My grandfather said that house 'b' was a herd's house. Maybe house 'b' and 'c' were occupied by relatives who never had children and it passed into the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blander

It looks like I can't link directly to the page, but if you search for Michael Kelly in Galway in the parish of Kilthomas, he'll be the only result.
    Here's a link to the entry in the House Book. It seems to describe the vacant house as a "white house?" I'm probably misreading that.

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246801_00131.pdf

Advertisement