Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

zell12 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    oB6hRep.jpg?1

F*cking disgusting!
    There was a primetime special on this about a year ago, did anything happen to the landlord ?

are they allowed to just do this with no consequences ? surely 6 people in one room is illegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tara73 wrote: »
    100.000 for a site... most probably not allowed to demolish as it's listed...close to a million to rebuild this sh***.

woa, what a money grave..

Somebody will snap it up and revel in the restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

100.000 for a site... most probably not allowed to demolish as it's listed...close to a million to rebuild this sh***.

A million to rebuild? Not a chance you'd need to spend anywhere close to that. 200k would do a huge amount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

dee75 wrote: »
    A million to rebuild? Not a chance you'd need to spend anywhere close to that. 200k would do a huge amount

yeah, dream on. Sewage system is probably completely rotten or never existed and has to be renewed for x amount of length. They don't show a map, could be somewhere remote.

Did you ever rebuild a listed building? stuff like stucco ornaments have to be rebuild. And this building seemd to have a few of them..
    also doors, windows need to be rebuild like they were. do you know what such pieces cost?

good luck with 200.000€

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

200k would get you a decent 2 storey extension for your Dublin semi

Not a rebuild for a listed house like that, man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Graces7 wrote: »

The sad thing about this house is that the preservation order probably means that nobody will do it up and it will just fall asunder.

That would be an absolute moneypit.

good lord, just read the property description in full. if your not already deterred by the photo, you will after reading that waffling.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The sad thing about this house is that the preservation order probably means that nobody will do it up and it will just fall asunder.

That would be an absolute moneypit.

There are those for whom it would be a lasting joy to restore this magnificent historic house.

Nothing sad about the preservation order. A great protection to the beauty. ,

Have a look at some of the properties on this site many of which have been lovingly and expensively restored by individuals with a great sense of Irish history

https://www.formerglory.ie/period-property-for-sale-in-ireland/

and Ashford Castle...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ashford-castle-reopening-after-50m-makeover-by-new-owner-1.2174627

good lord, just read the property description in full. if your not already deterred by the photo, you will after reading that waffling.

:p

We differ greatly thankfully! lol

There are those for whom it would be a lasting joy to restore this magnificent historic house.

Nothing sad about the preservation order. A great protection to the beauty. ,

Have a look at some of the properties on this site many of which have been lovingly and expensively restored by individuals with a great sense of Irish history

https://www.formerglory.ie/period-property-for-sale-in-ireland/

and Ashford Castle...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ashford-castle-reopening-after-50m-makeover-by-new-owner-1.2174627

While I don't have any photos to prove it because I can't be arsed getting into my car but within about 5 miles of me, there must be at least 10 places let fall to ruin because of preservation orders. Some places have been beautifully restored and look fabulous but an awful lot of them tend to be too expensive to restore.

• Advertisement

:p

We differ greatly thankfully! lol

we differ greatly thankfully lol?? what do you mean...??please explain!

if you are familiar with estate agent ads you can see that this differ from the usual waffle!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    While I don't have any photos to prove it because I can't be arsed getting into my car but within about 5 miles of me, there must be at least 10 places let fall to ruin because of preservation orders. Some places have been beautifully restored and look fabulous but an awful lot of them tend to be too expensive to restore.

Hey it is fine to see these things differently! It really is. Yes I disagree with knocking down heritage historical buildings that have architectural and social value...too many have been destroyed wantonly. Preservation orders are a vital protection

This particular house has a great grace and beauty in an age when this is no longer created.

I used to explore the ruins of the old workhouse at Bawnboy in Cavan, and now a group is working on some restoration there.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g1389184-d15092452-Reviews-The_Workhouse_Bawnboy_Ballyconnel-Bawnboy_County_Cavan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

100.000 for a site... most probably not allowed to demolish as it's listed..

if there is a faulty handbrake on a JCB anything can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Has everyone forgotten the title of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BBFAN wrote: »
    Has everyone forgotten the title of this thread?

Tbf I pissed myself laughing at this
    The property being offered for sale is known as the Wandesforde Laundry House and in fairness the name gives away this property's usage. The property recently suffered fire damage, but the style and character is still clearly visible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

if there is a faulty handbrake on a JCB anything can happen

Reminds me of a certain property in Drumcondra. Protection order on it and the owner wasn't pleased..... Bull dozer ended up going through it by mistake. Courts ordered the building to be propped up, which was done.
    .. Few years later the building went on fire.... Haven't been around there in years. Wonder if it is still standing.

We'd a local guy who wanted to knock down an old house and build a small housing estate where the old house and garden stood. He was refused planning permission. A few months later some ahem....naughty scallywags (who certainly weren't acting on the instructions of the owner..ahem.. sore throat.) burned down the house. The owner was then able to reapply for planning permission and a nice little housing estate now stands where the old house used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Good old Irish ingenuity, if you can't find a loophole, make one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Ask Jeremy Irons who spent 10 years and unlimited cash doing up his castle in West Cork, but he is probably registered here as tax free and claiming it back in some other form. He said it nearly broke his heart.

Who in their right mind would take that on? granted a lovely site near water but not near a major city and back water like Castlecomer. Seriously in need of architectural salvage. You couldnt piss on the site without An Bord Pleanala and An Taisce breathing down your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement

^^ very optimistic table for four there

zell12 wrote: »

what a bulsh**t floor plan. misleading as out of scale.

that makes 2200 pound /sft or almost 24.000,00 pound /m². mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Very optimistic apartment for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I was thinking something similar, aside from the ridiculous price tag for a "studio appartment", why the need for so much delph?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ohhhh what a site for a Meth Lab!!!! No neighbours, discrete, developing forrestry, wide open fresh air. Jessie Pinkertons dream

Did anyone notice the John 3/17 painted on the wall behind the house or the crying chair in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Did anyone notice the John 3/17 painted on the wall behind the house or the crying chair in the shed?

I didn't. That's weird

i did notice it has a BER of G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

https://www.daft.ie/tipperary/houses-for-sale/clonmel/croan-cottage-kilganey-clonmel-tipperary-1897831/

Kudos to the agent who decided that one of the key selling points of this property is "mature boundaries".

The bathroom looks like a biohazard.

The side view of the house shows the staged development, like the tiers of a depressing grey wedding cake that's fallen on its side.

The settee faces the stove so you can huddle near the only warm spot in the whole place during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

mikhail wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/tipperary/houses-for-sale/clonmel/croan-cottage-kilganey-clonmel-tipperary-1897831/

The side view of the house shows the staged development, like the tiers of a depressing grey wedding cake that's fallen on its side.

The settee faces the stove so you can huddle near the only warm spot in the whole place during the winter.

Looks more like Miss Havishams place in Great expectations ..... only with more cheer. Its sad to think someone lived there in their final days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Looks more like Miss Havishams place in Great expectations ..... only with more cheer. Its sad to think someone lived there in their final days

That was my first thought too. Some lonely old dear living there on her own.

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.

• Advertisement

That was my first thought too. Some lonely old dear living there on her own.

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.
    With that huge flat screen TV, looks like the current occupier(s) could be much younger.

Advertisement