Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Didn't they have lots of buses on order just before the suspension of services?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did you see them?

Duct tape, plastic bags or straps holding panels together and smoke etc, interior in shambles.

Yea often on them as they’re used mainly in the M9 service. They’re rough alright but only coming from Kilkenny to Dublin so not too bad, if from Redcow luas it’s just over an hour. Wouldn’t fancy doing the haul up from cork or Kerry on one though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

road_high wrote: »
    DC creates this kind of situations by not communicating. In the public domain and providing a public service that people do depend on is good manners. Even if it’s not good news or a major delay.
    I frequently use the M9 service as it’s very quick and cheap, frequent but wouldn’t be under any illusions about the company itself. It is what it is and definitely a step down from competition

So you're complaining a company is not constantly issuing updates saying there is no update? Patience is needed. when there is news they will surely tell you.

GoBus haven't said a word for an even longer time than Dublin Coach on Facebook, but I don't see people saying they've collapsed. They too, do not see the value in saying there is no update every day.

devnull wrote: »
    So you're complaining a company is not constantly issuing updates saying there is no update? Patience is needed. when there is news they will surely tell you.

GoBus haven't said a word for an even longer time than Dublin Coach on Facebook, but I don't see people saying they've collapsed. They too, do not see the value in saying there is no update every day.

Not at all. Think they could have said something since March- nothing on their media whatsoever. Don’t think it’s too much to ask really, even if it’s just to say we are still here

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Didn't they have lots of buses on order just before the suspension of services?

yes they had had new double deckers coaches the first 1 was due in to Ireland just before lockdown but D.C. did not take delivery of any of them

• Advertisement

yes they had had new double deckers coaches the first 1 was due in to Ireland just before lockdown but D.C. did not take delivery of any of them

Did they cancel them?

Did they cancel them?

Not sure heard they were still parked in the factory in spain

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Not sure heard they were still parked in the factory in spain

Shame, they did need them before the events of this year, the belfast services were leaving people behind very regularly.

Not sure now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

They are recruiting cleaners for both Dublin and Ennis. I presume they have enough drivers on their books as at the moment there is no other work for drivers out there, but it looks like they are gearing up for a resumption of some services.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Their vehicles are up to 16 years old which really should not be allowed

Not a service I ever rely on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Gael23 wrote: »

The age of the fleet is immaterial, the poor maintenance is their issue, plenty of reports on this thread of their newer vehicles sat on the roadside as well as the older ones.

It is perfectly possible to keep older vehicles in presentable condition and run a reliable service with them, just not the way DC carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Gael23 wrote: »

They and any other operators are allowed run buses up until 20yrs old, Bus Eireann for example still use some 05 reg coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

soundman45 wrote: »
    They and any other operators are allowed run buses up until 20yrs old, Bus Eireann for example still use some 05 reg coaches.

I've seen their school services using 00 reg as well, could be an easement in place for school services?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Got a response from Dublin Coach stating an update on the resumption of services is coming in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

soundman45 wrote: »

The (stupid) 20 year rule only applies to DOE school buses, there is no limit on private hire or service vehicles.

taken from Dublin coach Twitter page

Dear Customers,

We hope you and your families are keeping safe as we all get familiar with living during these difficult times. We are delighted to be able to share the news with you that we are ready to welcome you back on board from Tuesday September 8th.

More than ever, the health and safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority. Below are the new measures we are introducing for your safety:

✓ Online booking is highly recommended
    ✓ Onboard card payment and contactless facilities are now in place. We will no longer be accepting any cash payments on board
    ✓ Leap card payments continue to be accepted
    ✓ Reduced passenger capacity across our services to allow for social distancing
    ✓ Upgraded intense cleaning regime in place
    ✓ Controlled seating arrangements for passenger comfort and safety
    ✓ Face coverings are now mandatory across our services

We will recommence the below services on Tuesday September 8th 2020:
    ➞ Route 726: N7 Service serving Portlaoise, Monasterevin, Kildare, Newbridge, Naas and Red Cow Luas:
    The first service leaving Dublin Airport will depart at 01:30 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Portlaoise will depart at 04:30 on Tuesday September 8th

➞ Route 726K: N7 Supplementary Service serving Kildare, Newbridge and Naas:
    The first service leaving Kildare will depart at 07:30 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Naas will depart at 08:40 on Tuesday September 8th
    Route 300: M7 Express Service serving Ennis/Killarney/Tralee, Limerick, Kildare Village, Red Cow Luas and Dublin City Centre:
    The first service leaving Ennis will depart at 01:00 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Tralee will depart at 01:00 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Killarney will depart at 04:30 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Dublin City will depart at 06:15 on Tuesday September 8th

➞ Route 600: M9 Express Service serving Cork, Dungarvan, Waterford, Kilkenny, Red Cow Luas and Dublin City Centre:
    The first service leaving Cork will depart at 05:05 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Dublin will depart at 06:00 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Waterford going to Cork will depart at 06:25 on Tuesday September 8th
    The 03:45 service leaving WIT going to Dublin will not run on Tuesday September 8th

➞ Route 816: Portarlington Connector serving Portarlington, Monasterevin and Kildare Village:
    The first service leaving Portarlington will depart at 06:35 on Tuesday September 8th
    The first service leaving Kildare Village will depart at 07:40 on Tuesday September 8th

➞ Route 307 and Route 308: Limerick City servicing Limerick City Centre, University of Limerick and Castletroy:
    The first service leaving outside Superdrug on William Street will depart at 06:45 on Tuesday September 8th

➞ Our Route 400: M1 Express Service servicing Dublin and Belfast and our Route 750: Dundrum to Dublin Airports routes will recommence at a later date.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board and thank you for your continued custom and support.

That is brilliant news. So many people genuinely rely on these private coach operators, it’s shameful the government did so little to support these services to keep them going even on a reduced basis. Complete abandonment of governance dressed up as health concerns and hiding behind a virus.

I can’t see this in their twitter though? Just checked it

Kind of glad they’re taking cards. Used to annoy me always having to have cash on me to travel

• Advertisement

I can’t see this in their twitter though? Just checked it

Might hav been there Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Got a response from Dublin Coach stating an update on the resumption of services is coming in the next few days.

I saw one of their double deckers on the M50 during the week. I was going in the opposite direction, but I think it said 'Not in Service'. It was heading towards the M1/Airport.

I also pass their ( I think ) workshop in Knockmitten. Bar a couple of rust buckets in a yard, there are no busses to be seen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be rather handy if they've spent the nearly 6 months working on reliability and appearance (both cabin and exterior) upgrades to their vehicles.

I somehow doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

L1011 wrote: »
    It'd be rather handy if they've spent the nearly 6 months working on reliability and appearance (both cabin and exterior) upgrades to their vehicles.

I somehow doubt it!

If only....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Some toilet facilities on board would be great. Absolutely insane to think that you could be a passengers from Dublin to Cork City taking in Kilkenny, Waterford City and Dungarvan on the way without a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thelad95 wrote: »
    Some toilet facilities on board would be great. Absolutely insane to think that you could be a passengers from Dublin to Cork City taking in Kilkenny, Waterford City and Dungarvan on the way without a toilet.

i would agree with you.
    while i would suspect that most using that service are dublin waterford and waterford cork, rather then people doing the full journey, there are probably some through passengers and unless there is a break in waterford then i think it's unfair to expect people to go that long without a toilet.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

thelad95 wrote: »

It would make no sense for someone to travel from Dublin to Cork with Dublin Coach, there are far far better options available.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It would make no sense for someone to travel from Dublin to Cork with Dublin Coach, there are far far better options available.

I got the service from Cork to Kilkenny often enough. I’ve seen plenty people buy tickets to Dublin at the Cork stop. Some of the better Dublin Coach drivers advised them to get Gobus or Aircoach instead.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

i would agree with you.
    while i would suspect that most using that service are dublin waterford and waterford cork, rather then people doing the full journey, there are probably some through passengers and unless there is a break in waterford then i think it's unfair to expect people to go that long without a toilet.

Ya, that route is all about the intermediate stops. Kilkenny to Waterford is very busy. The Waterford to Cork leg is the quietest part, at least when I’d be on it on Friday evenings. I’d love a more direct route to Cork from Kilkenny but they’d be no demand for it.

• Advertisement

I got it from cork once to Kilkenny. Which was torturous enough. Lots of people that had gotten on in cork were still onboard as I got off! There usually is a toilet onboard (never had to use it thankfully)

Advertisement