Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It looks like 'Inmate'.

Was it a workhouse?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm reading that as "Servant". Or am I looking at the wrong line?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Servant is right for the profession. It is the next column I see 'Inmate' in.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

spurious wrote: »
    It looks like 'Inmate'.

Was it a workhouse?

I honestly have no idea. Would Inmate be associated with the workhouse too? I only ever think about prison when I see Inmate. Though I don't think there was much of a difference between the two back then?

Mez1982 wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea. Would Inmate be associated with the workhouse too?

Yes, that's the term they used, for hospitals too, as well as our modern usage.
    I suppose you need someone from that area to know it might have been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Mez1982 wrote: »
    ...Robert phillips his mark, something? Highstreet...

The 'something' is father.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

DEATH RECORD

Not a very hard one tbh but i need a second pair of eyes!!!

Cause of Death 153, last on page in above link.

Looks like "Penticosis" but is this even a thng?

Doesn't look like it spells pediculosis (which is infestation with lice).

Pertussis? Also known as whooping cough apparently.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Pertussis? Also known as whooping cough apparently.

Ahh, that could very well be it. If i look closely i can see the double s, where i thought i was seeing an o!

Perfect thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Definitely pertussis, aka whooping cough.  A major killer, especially of babies and young children.  The vaccine against it is one of the first shots they get today.

• Advertisement

Fifth line from the top, right hand page, Feb 4th 1831, baptism of John Hearne.

Anyone got an idea of the mothers surname?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632931#page/40/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm reading it as Mary Metiage (perhaps French-speaking?). If it's the next line, then I'm reading Treacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

McTeige/McTague?

Thanks for the replies.

Ancestry transcribed it as Metiage but McTeige or variant seems more plausible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm surprised the T isn't capitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

A daughter born on 24 April 1833 to same couple - looks like McTague.

The first word after the date for each entry looks to be a place name.

For my entry the name appears to be Hohan but I can't find it on the map.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

EDIT: I wonder would it ever be Slihaun?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

EDIT: I wonder would it ever be Slihaun?

If you look on logainm.ie there is at least one period where it was known as Slahaun (Beg and More), so I think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepintheback

BIRTH RECORD

in the 5th birth down there is an X next to Paul Donovan's (Father) Name, along with a note in the right column next to this birth. Can anyone read what this note is? and what could it mean?

Actual Register???

The note is corresponding to the mistake under the informant column, where the mothers maiden name was wrote instead of her actual name Mrs. donovan

• Advertisement

Usually these notes are pointing out an error in the entry. In this case I think the error the note - which reads J. W. Y. Assistant Registrar - refers to is the wife's maiden name being entered in column 8 instead of her married name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Can anyone make out the cause of death on this record?

The second word is "croup".

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

New Home wrote: »
    The second word is "croup".

Thank you! I wonder if it's viral croup then. It doesn't really look like viral but maybe.

srmf5 wrote: »
    Thank you! I wonder if it's viral croup then. It doesn't really look like viral but maybe.

TBH, I don't think so, the "A" looks different in other words. I think it's Me- or Ne- something; it may also be an abbreviation, considering there's a full stop after it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

James Wainhouse's occupation and Joanna Moran's residence are both a bit awkward to decode here

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11021/8030103.pdf

20th Hussars I know from a later birth cert but he's down as 'servant' on that. The residence might be Duncannon?

L1011 wrote: »
    James Wainhouse's occupation and Joanna Moran's residence are both a bit awkward to decode here

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11021/8030103.pdf

20th Hussars I know from a later birth cert but he's down as 'servant' on that. The residence might be Duncannon?

Officer's Servant, 20th Hussars.

New Ross and Duncannon, Wexford, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

New Home wrote: »
    Officer's Servant, 20th Hussars.

AKA a batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

This isn't really a handrwriting question - it's a question of interpreting a register entry that seems to have an extra field. I'd really like some help.

Struggling with the Dec 3 Entry here in the register of baptisms for Moycullen, Co Galway.
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634193#page/29

I think it says:
    At Cluniff .. Jn(o) Bane_.Patr[k] .. Joan

The only bit of that that I'm not sure of is Patr[k] - there are hundred's of people recorded as Patt or Pat in this register, but very few recorded as Patr[k].

The schema is:
    At <townland> .. <fathers full name> .. <Child's given name>

Bane is a popular surname in the area. Joan occurs quite a bit also. So this entry seems to have an extra field, maybe the father's full name is John Bane Patrick - or maybe the child's name is Patrick Joan

Advertisement