Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insomnia/Stress/Exam dilemma

• 15-12-2014 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I get very stressed at exam time so I haven't slept at all tonight. I have an exam at 9.30 on Tuesday and Wednesday. My options are:

A) Try and sleep now, wake up late... Do the study I need to do, stay awake all night tomorrow... Go into exam on Tues with no sleep, then study for Weds exam. Pass out from exhaustion tues night, sit Weds exam

B) Stay awake all day today, try studying while wrecked, pass out tonight, wake up tomorrow for exam hoping what I studied sunk in.

I know students pull all nighters to study but I can't do it. My brain doesn't retain the information. Hence the worrying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

k, hope things work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

PLL wrote: »
    I get very stressed at exam time so I haven't slept at all tonight. I have an exam at 9.30 on Tuesday and Wednesday. My options are:

A) Try and sleep now, wake up late... Do the study I need to do, stay awake all night tomorrow... Go into exam on Tues with no sleep, then study for Weds exam. Pass out from exhaustion tues night, sit Weds exam

B) Stay awake all day today, try studying while wrecked, pass out tonight, wake up tomorrow for exam hoping what I studied sunk in.

I know students pull all nighters to study but I can't do it. My brain doesn't retain the information. Hence the worrying.

Poor thing.

If I was in your situation id try sleep now for a few hours, maybe 3 or 4 and then study for the day so you're able to sleep tonight but can study for the afternoon and evening.

More importantly try to keep the stress levels low, exams aren't important in the grand scheme of things. It's nice to keep passing them but not that big a deal if you don't, more an inconvenience. This is from someone who's done loads of college and even professional exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Drinking helps with both study and sleep.

A bottle of whiskey is probably your best friend this week.

Thank me later. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Get sleep or your brain won't function in the exam no matter how much cramming you've done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Go to your doctor Tues., explain your situation and get a receipt. Maybe ask for something to help you sleep but if the doc is any good, they won't give you anything but advise other methods. You could defer Tues. exam until Jan/Feb and the doctor's receipt will be enough proof the College needs as to why you couldn't sit the exam on Tues. This will give you more time to prepare for Wed.

Make a study plan: give 40 mins revising a particular topic and after the 40 is up, put down the books and get away from them for 20 mins. Fresh air, exercise, music, dancing, etc. No laptop or internet browsing.

Understanding something is the key to remembering it; forcing yourself to stay awake to memorise facts is useless.

Maybe prepare better in future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

OP my exams start today at 230pm, im very prepared for todays after a solid week of writing, reading and rewriting. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Thanks for all replies. I fell asleep for a little while. So a little tired but not sleep deprived. I was in a car crash a few weeks ago and have moderate whiplash, the college offered to defer exams but I want them over with. The idea of doing them in April/May fills me with dread. I have prepared enough, I just remember well when going over everything the day before, so it all fresh in my mind.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

PLL wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies. I fell asleep for a little while. So a little tired but not sleep deprived. I was in a car crash a few weeks ago and have moderate whiplash, the college offered to defer exams but I want them over with. The idea of doing them in April/May fills me with dread. I have prepared enough, I just remember well when going over everything the day before, so it all fresh in my mind.

Thanks again.

Eat healthy and take regular breaks, you are only human and your exams are not as important as your health.

Good luck OP, im sure it will work out fine for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Smoke a joint, get some good sleep and then cram like a mad thing till the exams are behind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

Prioritise sleep over cramming. All nighters are not worth it - you'll finish the exams and end up with a dose. To echo another poster, they are really not that important but that doesn't help right now, I guess. With a well rested head, amazing stuff can happen in an exam hall - ever have that feeling that a whole load of sh*ite you never thought you even knew just comes rolling out of you like poetry when under a bit of pressure. So yep, sleep, sleep, sleep but don't sleep it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I never studied the the night prior to exam, you'll not know any more in twelve hours time than you do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

biko wrote: »
    k, hope things work out for you.

What were options C through J?

I wouldn't do an all-nighter no matter what, you need the sleep, your brain actually processes information while you sleep. If you're really bad with insomnia perhaps speak to a doctor to see if they can give you something to help.

Advertisement