Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning about astrology

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Joe prim wrote: »
    Nonsense, it's generally accepted that when Mars is in Uranus, romance will be in the air, and at work, a little application may lead to advancement.
    Yeah you'd need to consult the ancient Egyptians or Sumerians on that one.
    Or even Nostradamus. Except of course that Uranus hadn't been discovered yet.

Any astrologer that waffled on about Pluto can be ignored. Not because of it's planet(oid) status but more because there are bigger things out there.

BTW: if the planets influence is any sort of inverse square law type thingy then the Skylab, MIR and the ISS need to be taken into account too.

http://xkcd.com/836/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Holy sh1t OP, I just want to know what your secret is because you must be hundreds if not thousands of years old if you believe in crap like that. It's either that or you're a time traveller from the past.

Welcome to the future though, unfortunately I have some bad news for you, we did start making a distinction between astrology and astronomy about 4 centuries ago. So you can appreciate how nonsensical it is to link disciplines which are in disagreement with one another. Hopefully that will save you some time now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Judging by his name I reckon op wants to learn some astrology to help him pick up chicks, which is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If the OP plays his cards right, he will be selling out theatres across Ireland and the UK (to an audience full of gullibles).

Especially if he learns to communicate with dead folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Has anyone been able to prove, conclusively, that astrology has no merit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

UCDVet wrote: »

Really? Surely this warrants the 'not sure if srs' meme ...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

The burden of proof lies on those asserting the value of astrology. If I were to claim that I could fly by flapping my arms, only a fool would believe me. It's not up to others to prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

This really is the wrong question. It's perfectly backwards in fact. The burden of proof is on those making the extraordinary claim, not on sceptics. If I told you that there were invisible fairies living under your bed, and you were skeptical, it would not be up to you to prove that there were no fairies under the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I like astrology. I am interested in it and my chart is quite accurate actually. :-P

Or it is when I write it anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I like astrology. I am interested in it and my chart is quite accurate actually. :-P

How far into the future can you see?

What am I having for breakfast tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

the woo woo is strong in this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

OP here are the detailed instructions you need.

1: Stop wasting your time with Astrology
    2: Find a better past-time

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Interested from a purely anthropological

You lost me

The burden of proof lies on those asserting the value of astrology. If I were to claim that I could fly by flapping my arms, only a fool would believe me. It's not up to others to prove me wrong.

So what you are saying is there is no proof that Astrology doesn't work?

Interesting....

FURET wrote: »
    This really is the wrong question. It's perfectly backwards in fact. The burden of proof is on those making the extraordinary claim, not on sceptics. If I told you that there were invisible fairies living under your bed, and you were skeptical, it would not be up to you to prove that there were no fairies under the bed.

Sure.

But if I'm talking to my friend about my super cool invisible faire friends I met under my bed last night and YOU claim that invisible faeries don't exist under my bed....the burden of supporting your claim should fall to you.

If you want to say, 'Well, UCDVet hasn't proven that invisible faeries exist, so, in the absence of proof, I'm not sure that they do exist'. That's totally fine and correct. But to say, 'Given that you haven't proven X, NOT X is necessarily true' is incorrect. And if you want to assert NOT X, you need to prove it.

There is a hugely famous open problem in Computer Science (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem) where nobody knows of P = NP. Nobody can prove P = NP, but nobody has proven P != NP. Nobody knows. Just because you can't prove P = NP *does not* mean P != NP. We simply don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

So the scientific method, as a human construct, could be considered to be fundamentally unsound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So what you are saying is there is no proof that Astrology doesn't work?

Interesting....

That's actually not what he said at all.

That's actually not what he said at all.

That's pretty much what he said.

The burden of proof lies elsewhere. It's not up to him to disprove it. Presumably, if he had evidence disproving astrology, he could have just posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

How many points to get into veterinary these days?

FURET wrote: »
    How many points to get into veterinary these days?

I have no idea. It's just a name. I studied computer science in school.

• Advertisement

'Well, UCDVet hasn't proven that invisible faeries exist, so, in the absence of proof, I'm not sure that they do exist'.

UCDVet has a theory.
    UCDVet has made no observations that support his/her theory.
    UCDVet has no proof to support his/her theroy.
    Until UCDVet supplies either of this, UCDVet's theory has no merit.
    I have no idea. It's just a name. I studied computer science in school.

I was wondering why a vet can't recognise bullshit when they see it :p

Nim wrote: »
    UCDVet has a theory.
    UCDVet has made no observations that support his/her theory.
    UCDVet has no proof to support his/her theroy.
    Until UCDVet supplies either of this, UCDVet's theory has no merit.

I was wondering why a vet can't recognise bullshit when they see it :p

I think you're misunderstanding me. In fact, I think you might be imagining things. You've stated that I 'have a theory'. Do tell, what theory do I have? No where, not once, have I made any claim about astrology. I don't have a theory. I have no observations to support my theory, because I don't have a theory to support.

A lot of people in this thread have stated that astrology has no merit/isn't legit/doesn't work or some variation of phrasing. There is a world of difference between saying X doesn't work and There is no evidence that X works.

If people are going to claim that astrology doesn't work, the burden of proof is on them.
    If people are going to claim that astrology does work, the burden of proof is on them.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread claim that astrology works. In fairness, I haven't read every post, but the ones I saw, nobody, certainly not the OP made that claim.

A lot of people claimed that astrology DOES NOT work. Not that there was no evidence to support astrology working. I simply asked for some evidence of their claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

OP you're hobby doesn't fall under the Boards.ie approved hobby list. It has not appeared in four peer reviewed science publications and hasn't been triple blind tested to within an inch of its life.

Or you could just ignore them and use it as an entry into symbology and occult teachings. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes. Every astrologer ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

UCDvet, are you trying to be intellectual or a Devil's Advocate perchance? If so please pick a more worthy cause than the utter bollockology that is astrology.

Thanks.

smcgiff wrote: »
    UCDvet, are you trying to be intellectual or a Devil's Advocate perchance? If so please pick a more worthy cause than the utter bollockology that is astrology.

Thanks.

Neither. I'm certainly not supporting astrology. I haven't said a single thing in support of astrology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Neither. I'm certainly not supporting astrology. I haven't said a single thing in support of astrology.

But you think it worthy enough to draw others out on a defence of their thoughts on astrology? Of all the things to challenge for proof, astrology would be low on the list. May as well contradict someone that claims there's no such thing as Jack Frost.

smcgiff wrote: »
    But you think it worthy enough to draw others out on a defence of their thoughts on astrology? Of all the things to challenge for proof, astrology would be low on the list. May as well contradict someone that claims there's no such thing as Jack Frost.

OP asked for information about astrology, strictly for anthropological purposes. Nobody made any claims about astrology having any merit as a method of divination.

If I asked for children's books on the topic of Jack Frost, I'd hardly expect people telling me that Jack Frost doesn't exist. Certainly, if I ask for books on the topic of Jack Frost, I'm not asserting that Jack Frost, the mythical character *exists* as described in the books. There is no claim being made, and there is no burden of proof because I'm not making a claim.

If people want to claim that he DOESN'T EXIST, they are making a claim and the burden of proof falls on them. And the lack of evidence of something existing is NOT the same as proving that something doesn't exist.

Certainly, nobody should be offended by someone asking them to support their claims. If someone is inclined to offer them, it's only natural that, in a forum, someone else might ask for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If people are going to claim that astrology doesn't work, the burden of proof is on them.
    If people are going to claim that astrology does work, the burden of proof is on them.

Wrong. The person making the claim that astrology works needs to provide evidence for this. Also the person claiming that astrology works needs to define exactly what astrology exactly is and what it is meant to do, the person skeptical of astrology doesn't need to say anything at all until these provisions are satisfied.

• Advertisement

I think you're misunderstanding me. In fact, I think you might be imagining things.

Slyly condescending. That's great.

Now, go back and read the quote. I was simply following on from what you said.
    No where, not once, have I made any claim about astrology. I don't have a theory. I have no observations to support my theory, because I don't have a theory to support.

I didn't say anything about astrology :confused: I think you might be imagining things.

Advertisement