Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P Lending Tax Clarification

• 04-01-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have searched both boards, and askaboutmoney a little and have discovered that interest that is earned, must be declared as income tax.

However, my question is, if the money stays within the platform, and is automatically reinvested, do I still have to pay income tax every year?

If this is the case, that I must pay tax on all interest yearly, what happens if my investment takes a large hit in year 3, and potentially lose half my investment, can I claim back tax I have paid previously?

Many thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Short answer yes. The interest is treated as income tax.

The revenue guidelines for p2p lending should help you. See here. Specifically "the taxation treatment of interest earned by a company or individual lending to companies or non-residents through peer to peer lending or crowd funding."

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

If your investment takes a hit you are not allowed set any bad debt against your interest earned

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

In certain
    circumstances Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) may also be payable on the interest received.

Eh, very helpful this, is it or isin't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not everyone has to pay PRSI. There are exceptions etc. So the statement is factual. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Under what section on the Form12 do you actually put this under?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

vargoo wrote: »
    Under what section on the Form12 do you actually put this under?

I have taxed them as below
    Linkedin/grid finance untaxed income arising in the state
    Non Irish income other foreign income including rent

Advertisement