Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

inforfun wrote: »
    And probably 99% "family homes"

As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

D3V!L wrote: »
    As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford. :(

Requiring 2 incomes to be able to properly afford it.

People who dont feel the need to start families can just go **** off and start sharing miserable places with the others who dont feel the need to procreate (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Grayson wrote: »
    Following further investigation, the landlord admitted to collecting rent for 16 other dwellings in the city which were also constructed using questionable building materials, including mechano, straw bales and one house made from Bord Na Mona briquettes.
    Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Alun wrote: »
    Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

They're special straw bricks aren't they? they won't even burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.

I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.
    I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

Landlords :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Government Tax on Landlords :pac:

FYP there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kamili wrote: »
    FYP there

Fake news. Tax is the same for everyone.

Kamili wrote: »
    FYP there

Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

Yep. My landlord increased my rent by 40%. I'm sure every penny of that is going to the taxman. And in my case I know he's paid off the mortgage so it's not like he was losing money on that. the increase was purely for the taxman :D

Anyways, there's loads of threads about rent. Maybe should move the discussing there rather than derailing one of my favourite threads? (Yes, I realise the irony of posting what I did and then posting this. I also realise it's backseat modding. But i do really like this thread. It's one of the few I subscribe to)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Malik Ahmed offers single bed in room with 3 beds or bed in the living room in The Coombe
    Only €495 per week. Gender discrimination - females only.
    "Liddle Tasco Asian shop out side apatment."
    https://www.daft.ie/31040489

zell12 wrote: »
    Malik Ahmed offers single bed in room with 3 beds or bed in the living room in The Coombe

That has to be a piss take. Even if it was per month and not per week, it'd still be disgusting but at least it'd make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

zell12 wrote: »

“Shearing apatment ”. God help people that have no choice but to take something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Isnt Malik a male name. Smacks of someone subletting for profile to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

“Shearing apatment ”. God help people that have no choice but to take something like this

It rubs the lotion on its skin....

Silence of the Lambs reference for those wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's probably got the wardrobes sublet to a small farmer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm half expecting to see sleeping bags nailed to a wall soon on this thread.

Sometimes I get sad looking at places that others will have to live in and other times I genuinely laugh out loud at how bad they are.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

submarine-ss-dc-4.jpg

Can't be too long before they get this cramped!
    This is inside a submarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Can't be too long before they get this cramped!
    This is inside a submarine.

That's awful!!
    Really feel sorry for that guy...

Reading Clarkson's biography!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Grayson wrote: »
    Yep. My landlord increased my rent by 40%. I'm sure every penny of that is going to the taxman. And in my case I know he's paid off the mortgage so it's not like he was losing money on that. the increase was purely for the taxman :D

Anyways, there's loads of threads about rent. Maybe should move the discussing there rather than derailing one of my favourite threads? (Yes, I realise the irony of posting what I did and then posting this. I also realise it's backseat modding. But i do really like this thread. It's one of the few I subscribe to)[/QUOTE]

yeah, you realised the irony, so why not refrain from posting here and go look for a 'landlord thread' or anything?

quite bold, your attitude, I would say, or in other words gtfo.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's awful!!
    Really feel sorry for that guy...

Reading Clarkson's biography!

:pac:
    He must have been a bit slow getting to the library... :pac:

But seriously, some of the dives out there are almost in competition with submarine sleeping arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Seriously though, some of these places for rent in Dublin are worse than Josef Fritzl's dungeon!

Josef-Fritzl-Monstruo-encerro-hija-sotano-secuestro-5.jpg
    Actual photo of his dungeon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

chewed wrote: »
    Seriously though, some of these places for rent in Dublin are worse than Josef Fritzl's dungeon!

Actual photo of his dungeon!

No. You can leave any of the dumps in Dublin, any time you want, go for a coffee, a pint or a stroll, go to work, visit friends. But nobody could leave this dungeon.

I get where you are coming from, but this comparison is a bit insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Carry wrote: »
    No. You can leave any of the dumps in Dublin, any time you want, go for a coffee, a pint or a stroll, go to work, visit friends. But nobody could leave this dungeon.

I get where you are coming from, but this comparison is a bit insensitive.

Only his victims would (should is probably more accurate) be sensitive to that comparison. Please don't get offended on their behalf. The world is full of enough of that rubbish already thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Have some ****ing empathy, ridonkulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Have some ****ing empathy, ridonkulous.
    Hyperbole is verboten now too? What is this, the lolicost?

Advertisement