Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Out of curiosity, at peak times - say between 7 and 9 - has anyone determined how many 6/8 carriage DARTs the southside is getting versus the northside? Obviously, they do traverse the city but for the core times..
    It's odd that we seem to be hearing very little on the southside difficulties when they must be suffering capacity problems too. I mean were the commuter trains really absorbing that many passengers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

ixoy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, at peak times - say between 7 and 9 - has anyone determined how many 6/8 carriage DARTs the southside is getting versus the northside? Obviously, they do traverse the city but for the core times..
    It's odd that we seem to be hearing very little on the southside difficulties when they must be suffering capacity problems too. I mean were the commuter trains really absorbing that many passengers?

Have to remember that the DART splits on the northside to every 20 minutes on each branch whilst the Southside is 10 minutes all of the time which contributes to the issues we're seeing and the uneven load balancing.

devnull wrote: »
    Have to remember that the DART splits on the northside to every 20 minutes on each branch whilst the Southside is 10 minutes all of the time which contributes to the issues we're seeing and the uneven load balancing.
    So is the northside serving more passengers overall? I mean all the trains are busy, including those from the Howth spur which is traditionally the quieter one.

It just seems odd that it's gotten so poor with the removal of the commuter ones as I never got the impression that many people from the Malahide branch pushed on to them. Anyone know how many came on at these stations? I lived in Portmarnock for a couple of years and didn't get a commuter train often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure about separate conditions but they are driving more this week than they have been used to, probally never doing as much driving since they started....

Can you elaborate as to what "restored hours" are? You reedited your post and the part you mentioned about restored hours disappeared. I would have imagined that a DART drivers day would consist of clocking on, followed by a check of the train he/she was going to drive, then drive the train for a set period of time. Then followed by a "lunch" break. Then checks on the next train to drive, followed by driving of that train for a set period of time and the clocking off for the day.....or something to that effect.

Still trying to figure out where "restored hours" fit in to the drivers day and also what "restored hours" actually means???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

highdef wrote: »
    Can you elaborate as to what "restored hours" are? You reedited your post and the part you mentioned about restored hours disappeared. I would have imagined that a DART drivers day would consist of clocking on, followed by a check of the train he/she was going to drive, then drive the train for a set period of time. Then followed by a "lunch" break. Then checks on the next train to drive, followed by driving of that train for a set period of time and the clocking off for the day.....or something to that effect.

Still trying to figure out where "restored hours" fit in to the drivers day and also what "restored hours" actually means???

There weekly max workable hours are 48 now but they want to reduce that to 39. Most don't drive anywhere near those 48 or 39 anyway. The new DART schedule means drivers are driving more hours within a week then there were with the old timetable and that's what they are not happy about. So for example they could be on shift for 30 hours over a week and driving for 25 before they would be working the same 30 hours but driving less than 25 etc.

Now I don't think the overall total hours workable have changed from 48 to 39 as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

There weekly max workable hours are 48 now but they want to reduce that to 39. Most don't drive anywhere near those 48 or 39 anyway. The new DART schedule means drivers are driving more hours within a week then there were with the old timetable and that's what they are not happy about. So for example they could be on shift for 30 hours over a week and driving for 25 before they would be working the same 30 hours but driving less than 25 etc.

Now I don't think the overall total hours workable have changed from 48 to 39 as of yet.

I always reckoned that the drivers grievances were overly exaggerated and what you've said kinda proves that point. I'm all for employees having legitimate grievances but the DART drivers have really been taking things to extremes over the years and are seriously risking losing their game of brinkmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

There were grumblings on twitter this evening about 2 short overcrowded darts serving the northside around 5 o'clock while a 6 and 8 car set were carrying very few passengers southbound.

When my 4 car morning dart that was at crush capacity after the Killester debacle got to Pearse this morning a longer dart arrived from the southside that had lots of room on it before anybody got off.

So if you ask me (putting my northside bias aside) I would say that the available sets are being managed very poorly.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    There were grumblings on twitter this evening about 2 short overcrowded darts serving the northside around 5 o'clock while a 6 and 8 car set were carrying very few passengers southbound.

When my 4 car morning dart that was at crush capacity after the Killester debacle got to Pearse this morning a longer dart arrived from the southside that had lots of room on it before anybody got off.

So if you ask me (putting my northside bias aside) I would say that the available sets are being managed very poorly.
    This doesn't surprise me. The quietness about Southside issues is kind of telling, much like anything from Irish Rail itself.

FWIW, I experienced the joy of getting on at Killester. I was kind of lucky that I got on the (very crowded) platform and the doors pulled up right in front of me. Only three of us got on through those doors. Given some people missed four trains in a row, they need to re-prioritise. Trains have not run before but never with such a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Find it hard to believe that all these "mechanical faults" are true.

Anecdotally I heard that engineers/mechanics purposely take their time servicing/repairing DART units towards the end of their shift. This ensures the next guy's shift has too much work to do resulting in OT. That guy then returns the favour ensuring there's plenty of OT to go around and DARTs are not ready to go back into service at the expected time.

Heard this from the son of a mechanic so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I mean were the commuter trains really absorbing that many passengers?

At peak times most people would be heading to the city centre from these stations. The commuter train was almost always the preferred option as it got there quicker and often had very little overcrowding.

I never seen a person faint on a commuter train. DART however, is a different story altogetjer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Anecdotally I heard that engineers/mechanics purposely take their time servicing/repairing DART units towards the end of their shift. This ensures the next guy's shift has too much work to do resulting in OT. That guy then returns the favour ensuring there's plenty of OT to go around and DARTs are not ready to go back into service at the expected time.

Heard this from the son of a mechanic so take it with a pinch of salt.

On a bar stool was he?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

This doesn't surprise me. The quietness about Southside issues is kind of telling, much like anything from Irish Rail itself.

FWIW, I experienced the joy of getting on at Killester. I was kind of lucky that I got on the (very crowded) platform and the doors pulled up right in front of me. Only three of us got on through those doors. Given some people missed four trains in a row, they need to re-prioritise. Trains have not run before but never with such a knock on effect.

Also working out where the entrances are to the busiest few stations, and then standing at your station in the opposite end of the train, will help you get a seat, I can't believe how many people don't recognise this.

For example, if you're waiting at Connolly for a Northbound train the very best place to wait is the end nearest the stairway at the back of the train (Yes, I know it sounds stupid because there will be more people waiting there) since at Pearse and Tara Street people are generally lazy and get on nearest the front of the train, because that end is closest to the entrances.

Doesn't work so well after Connolly on Northbound mind since Connolly entrance is near rear of train, which balances out Pearse and Tara being at the front. But if you get on at Connolly at the rear before the scrum of others at Connolly do, you'll be rewarded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The northern commuter trains are naturally quieter as a result of the changes but take a few minutes longer now than before. Some commuter trains take the same time to get from Malahide to Connolly as a DART (roughly 25 mins) despite having no stops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I never seen a person faint on a commuter train.
    Although rare, it does happen. They were mostly passengers who got on at shared DART stations who had to stand. And to be fair overcrowding at the times of the incidents was not a contributing factor IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never seen a person faint on a commuter train. DART however, is a different story altogetjer!
    I've had to assist a fainter on an intercity service - 22k vestibules are not sufficiently cooled. Not just a DART thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

M3 parkway services have taken a hit this morning , with the 7:10 and 7:42 not going beyond Clonsilla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Irish rail spent a year of no rail service on weekends to lengthen platforms for 8 car darts and then didn't buy enough carriages.
    Genuises.

That glorious summer where they closed the southbound line, and all the kids who usually drank on Bray beach went to Howth and Portmarnock instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

ParkRunner wrote: »
    The northern commuter trains are naturally quieter as a result of the changes but take a few minutes longer now than before. Some commuter trains take the same time to get from Malahide to Connolly as a DART (roughly 25 mins) despite having no stops
    A few minutes longer might be an underestimate. Weekend journeys to Pearse now up to 40% longer due to removal of the 2 main city stations that customers want to go to. Long wait times for connecting DARTS (up to 15 mins) will push customers into their cars, when combined expensive off peak fares. Better connections or reinstatement of the 2 main stations should be corrected in any updated timetable in coming weeks.
    Finally would love to hear the latest mph of commuter trains in morning peak from Malahide to Pearse. Maybe next week when all the teething issues r sorted. It is definitely longer, but just feels very very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Rashers72 wrote: »
    A few minutes longer might be an underestimate. Weekend journeys to Pearse now up to 40% longer due to removal of the 2 main city stations that customers want to go to. Long wait times for connecting DARTS (up to 15 mins) will push customers into their cars, when combined expensive off peak fares. Better connections or reinstatement of the 2 main stations should be corrected in any updated timetable in coming weeks.
    Finally would love to hear the latest mph of commuter trains in morning peak from Malahide to Pearse. Maybe next week when all the teething issues r sorted. It is definitely longer, but just feels very very slow.

didn’t know about the weekend central stations being dropped. The slow trains seem to be going about on average 50km, 30miles per hour based on the timetable time and distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Southbound dart delayed again at howth junction by late arrival of Drogheda commuter train which did not have many people standing

And Irish rail say commuter trains not stopping at portmarnock or clongriffin is to improve punctuality of the commuter trains? Which are now regularly delayed, in turn delaying howth darts and now shoving commuters from portmanrock and clongriffin onto shortened less regular malahide darts

• Advertisement

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Southbound dart delayed again at howth junction by late arrival of Drogheda commuter train which did not have many people standing

And Irish rail say commuter trains not stopping at portmarnock or clongriffin is to improve punctuality of the commuter trains? Which are now regularly delayed, in turn delaying howth darts and now shoving commuters from portmanrock and clongriffin onto shortened less regular malahide darts

Malahide DARTS are now every 20 minutes in the morning not every 30 and you will find while commuter trains stopped at Portmarnock, few did at Clongriffin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

Much much better this morning. I'm on the 8:16 from Clongriffin and by Harmonstown there is loads of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The 8:41 from Howth this morning hasn’t been pulling all the way to the front of the platforms, so if nothing else the bunching of people into the last carriage might be alleviated slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They have a comparatively short period of an uncomfortable journey. Resources are finite. All we learn from Twitter is that one person is shockingly narcissistic and entitled.

She’s entitled for wanting to get on a train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Conchir wrote: »
    The 8:41 from Howth this morning hasn’t been pulling all the way to the front of the platforms, so if nothing else the bunching of people into the last carriage might be alleviated slightly.

Now it’s the first carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Unmitigated disaster on the Maynooth line this morning. M3 trains cancelled or cut short to Clonsilla, intercity trains running Maynooth commuter services and the usual morning train to bray held until the late Sligo inbound train finally passed.

People had 2 or 3 trains before they could actually get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's going back to the old days of a few years ago when at rush hour we had 4 carriage darts pulling into Tara st going northside and people were jamming on while on the other platform they had 6 carriage darts that were half empty
    after much complaining they eventually sorted it but it did take months

Skerries wrote: »
    it's going back to the old days of a few years ago when at rush hour we had 4 carriage darts pulling into Tara st going northside and people were jamming on while on the other platform they had 6 carriage darts that were half empty

You do realise that a train that does one peak journey one way, will also do another peak journey the other way on it's return trip? That is why you see what you see, think about the journey the 6 car train does before and/or after the journey that it's half empty for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

devnull wrote: »
    You do realise that a train that does one peak journey one way, will also do another peak journey the other way on it's return trip? That is why you see what you see, think about the journey the 6 car train does before and/or after the journey that it's half empty for.

IR could join and split trains - either at the turn around or on the fly. They do this on other railways but not here. 'Announcement - Front four coaches going to Howth, last four going to Malahide - split occurs at Killester'

They could also keep Howth as a 30 minute service, and have four trains serving Malahide per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Skerries wrote: »

Yeah that's very annoying. You'd think a 20 minute gap to Northside destinations would mean longer trains for the Northside but that's not the case.

On the plus side if you're getting a dart around 7:30 or 8:00 Northside in the evening they'll all be the long trains from Southside rush hour!
    Not much benefit to north bound rush hour commuters though.

Advertisement