Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 Nvidia Shield

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sideloading I know was always an option anyway, but I could never get either to function properly on the shield anyway.

I think I read on here somewhere that the controller (game type) can act as a mouse but I never got around to testing it.

Right stick works fine as a mouse on sideloaded apps.

There is also a new Shield TV app on iOS and android that works as a touch pad/ keyboard/remote. Although strangely the keyboard has no colon on it so it’s a bit useless for typing URLs. Needs experience 7.1 to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

stimpson wrote: »
    Right stick works fine as a mouse on sideloaded apps.

There is also a new Shield TV app on iOS and android that works as a touch pad/ keyboard/remote. Although strangely the keyboard has no colon on it so it’s a bit useless for typing URLs. Needs experience 7.1 to work.

Thanks for the tip about iOS app, I just updated to 7.1 so that’s just what I needed

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I hope its OK to talk about this, I know its a bit of a grey area.

Terrarium TV are shutting down. Gone by the end of the month

Edit.

Actually, if you update the app now, you get no data for all sources. It's gone folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah went offline last night that's all I'll say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Puffin browser allows you to use the remote as a mouse if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Catmologen wrote: »
    Puffin browser allows you to use the remote as a mouse if anyone is interested.

Anyone know how to get more than 1 row of apps does it double up after a certain amount have been added or is there a setting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

ellobee wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get more than 1 row of apps does it double up after a certain amount have been added or is there a setting

I think a single row of apps is one of the Shield Experience 7 "enhancements". It's not getting a lot of love.

20180911_145532.jpg

I used sideload channel I think it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

jayo26 wrote: »
    20180911_145532.jpg

I used sideload channel I think it works fine.

How is showbox working on Android TV these days with the remote (not game controler)? Was poor in comparison to Terrarium TV the last time I checked. But it may be something I look at again now.

cronos wrote: »
    How is showbox working on Android TV these days with the remote (not game controler)? Was poor in comparison to Terrarium TV the last time I checked. But it may be something I look at again now.

Its crap with remote mate I only tried it last night after terrarium closing down on me. I have a air mouse too that I kinda switch to when need a mouse it works fine apart from there is no return button configuration. Its a pitty because of prefer use air mouse if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

cronos wrote: »
    How is ****** working on Android TV these days with the remote (not game controler)? Was poor in comparison to Terrarium TV the last time I checked. But it may be something I look at again now.

Good man yourself - way to get a thread closed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Is the controller still making a few quid on Adverts etc?

I'm still wavering at buying a Shield, even at this cheap price - have most apps I use on the TV, and I never play games.

If I was guaranteed a few quid back from selling the controller, I might be pushed over the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

stimpson wrote: »

Just given this a quick test drive, works really well, I've deleted cetusplay in favour of it. When I hit the keyboard icon, it brings up Gboard on my phone, colon and all. What happens when you select the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

corwill wrote: »
    Just given this a quick test drive, works really well, I've deleted cetusplay in favour of it. When I hit the keyboard icon, it brings up Gboard on my phone, colon and all. What happens when you select the keyboard?

iOS version has a keyboard with no colon. Not mad about any of the third party keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Down to £154 on amazon. I put it in the other thread too, forgot this was the correct one for BA - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

Suckit wrote: »
    Down to £154 on amazon. I put it in the other thread too, forgot this was the correct one for BA - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

Already covered by Post #1261 by basil a while back
    Same price from nvidia too and a tenner less without the game controller

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

sorry if going off track, i'm looking for a 4k media player, primarily for streaming netflix and amazon prime, i've already got the chromecast original.

I'm looking for a player that does hdr, dolby vision, dolby atmos, etc, i was looking at the shield and the apple tv 4k because apple sell films in 4k for alot cheaper than 4k blu ray and google play doesnt even sell 4k, i dont think the chromecast ultra does atmos.

I;
    'm not interested in gaming, would the shield be a better choice over the apple tv?

Does anyone know where recordings are stored on the shield I was messing about with the record function recently but couldn't find the recorded program afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

ellobee wrote: »
    Does anyone know where recordings are stored on the shield I was messing about with the record function recently but couldn't find the recorded program afterwards

Seems like you're not the only with the issue

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1071232/shield-tv/ok-so-screen-shot-amp-record-are-back-but-i-cant-use-it-/

Keep an eye on the thread link above

Seems like you're not the only with the issue

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1071232/shield-tv/ok-so-screen-shot-amp-record-are-back-but-i-cant-use-it-/

Keep an eye on the thread link above

Ok I found them in gallery which I suppose is the obvious place for them. Now does anyone know how I can create a shortcut to gallery on the home screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Alright lads,
    Can I get advice please. I have absolutely no interest in gaming. I'm looking for a quality box that I can watch TV and movies on. I'm not getting into a discussion over piracy. I just want to know about the box itself please. Can anyone let me know if this box would be a lot better than the mi box if it was being used for streaming primarily. I have Chromecast for Netflix etc and use my phone. But looking for something where I can get more reliable IPTV services as apps on phone are becoming very unreliable.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

pj12332 wrote: »
    Alright lads,
    Can I get advice please. I have absolutely no interest in gaming. I'm looking for a quality box that I can watch TV and movies on. I'm not getting into a discussion over piracy. I just want to know about the box itself please. Can anyone let me know if this box would be a lot better than the mi box if it was being used for streaming primarily. I have Chromecast for Netflix etc and use my phone. But looking for something where I can get more reliable IPTV services as apps on phone are becoming very unreliable.

Thanks in advance.

It's been answered several times. Yes the Shield is much better than the MiBox but it's many times the price. You are comparing a Ferrari and a Fiat

It's been answered several times. Yes the Shield is much better than the MiBox but it's many times the price. You are comparing a Ferrari and a Fiat

Hi sorry I didn't look back through everything. Ok I'll look into sourcing one. Thank you

Hi sorry I didn't look back through everything. Ok I'll look into sourcing one. Thank you

If you can afford the Shield get it, there is no better box, you will be very satisfied. It's mad to think it's been around since 2015 and still there's no other devices can really compete with it. Being a gaming console means it's well supported through continuous updates

be quick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-SHIELD-TV-Remote-Controller/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1537455590&sr=1-1&keywords=nvidia+shield+tv

OmegaGene wrote: »

Hi, is that very good ye?..never ordered from Amazon. Any idea what it all works out at with delivery in euro. I'll have to create an account with them now.

Hi, is that very good ye?..never ordered from Amazon. Any idea what it all works out at with delivery in euro. I'll have to create an account with them now.

I order from Amazon a few times a month and highly recommend them for their return policy and customer service. I have Amazon prime which gives you free shipping (and also their Netflix like TV service). Sign up to the free trial of prime before you order to save you the shipping cost (remember to cancel before your free month runs out)

That's a great price btw

I order from Amazon a few times a month and highly recommend them for their return policy and customer service. I have Amazon prime which gives you free shipping (and also their Netflix like TV service). Sign up to the free trial of prime before you order to save you the shipping cost

That's a great price btw

agree 100% sign up for prime and get free delivery, thats a great price btw and you wont beat it, signing up is easy

If you want to save another few quid on the Euro to Sterling rate get the Revolut app, sign up and top-up with €177 from your card to cover the transaction, then pay Amazon using the Revolut card. Your own bank will screw you on the currency translation if you pay Amazon in sterling and Amazon will screw you if you pay in Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Any order over £25 is free shipping to Ireland (if the item ships to Ireland).

No need to sign up for Prime.

Got my shield on Amazon in September 2017.

You won't get better service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement