Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite take-away meal?

Options
  • 10-09-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite thing to order?
    I never get take-away here in Backstickistan but we treat ourselves up in Dublin when we visit the in-laws, my two favourites:

Pad Krah Pao with Duck and steamed rice
    Katsu Don

I also really love the cod and chips from the Italian takeaway in the next village, a shop run by an angry Italian family but their food is nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Cake

21/25

Double dead cow burger with sliced dead pig and made with sugary bread, with cheese and some deep friend onion rings. If they can put some barbecue sauce on it that’s even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

JayZeus wrote: »
    Double dead cow burger with sliced dead pig and made with sugary bread, with cheese and some deep friend onion rings. If they can put some barbecue sauce on it that’s even better.

Can you get this delivered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Freshly cooked battered cod and chips, plenty of salt, and a steaming pot of curry sauce to pour over the whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Fanny and chips....hold the sauce... smothered in vinegar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

It used to be a snack box, with two breasts. You pay a little extra for the second breast, but god damn it's worth it. I sometimes wonder why it doesn't come with two breasts automatically. In fact, does anyone even like the other bits, the drumstick, whatever bit of the chicken that is, and the leg?

With the drumstick you're eating a lot of grease, a lot of batter/breadcrumbs and a lot of tendons, but there's very little chicken isn't there? Don't get me started on that other piece, the piece only good for the skin, and once you take it off and eat it you lose your appetite because you realise 'white meat' isn't quite accurate, because it's not white. It's dirty white. It's traveller white. And fair balls to KFC here because they've managed to make you think all the pieces are as succulent as the rest, but they're not.

The only piece worth it's weight is the breast. Don't get me wrong, I realise some breasts are far from perfect, and some patently shouldn't have been fried at all, but I find the success rate on a breast is far higher than any other piece. It's the only piece that you can devour really if we're honest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Two brown sauce sambos. Slap it on thick, no butter, two pints of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Peking Chicken and Chips from Eddie's Kitchen down the road, better when Eddie is having an argument with the wife which is most nights and the place is bouncing

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

King prawns with green peppers, mushrooms and black bean sauce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Chicken cashew nuts with boiled rice and a heap of veg.
    Or a dominos pizza with as much meat and bell peppers and seasoning as will fit.

I don't get them very often though.
    I would also be as happy with a rotisserie chicken. Mmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It used to be a snack box, with two breasts. You pay a little extra for the second breast, but god damn it's worth it. I sometimes wonder why it doesn't come with two breasts automatically. In fact, does anyone even like the other bits, the drumstick, whatever bit of the chicken that is, and the leg?

With the drumstick you're eating a lot of grease, a lot of batter/breadcrumbs and a lot of tendons, but there's very little chicken isn't there? Don't get me started on that other piece, the piece only good for the skin, and once you take it off and eat it you lose your appetite because you realise 'white meat' isn't quite accurate, because it's not white. It's dirty white. It's traveller white. And fair balls to KFC here because they've managed to make you think all the pieces are as succulent as the rest, but they're not.

The only piece worth it's weight is the breast. Don't get me wrong, I realise some breasts are far from perfect, and some patently shouldn't have been fried at all, but I find the success rate on a breast is far higher than any other piece. It's the only piece that you can devour really if we're honest here.

Drumstick is the leg and the other bit you're on about is the thigh. Drumsticks are great, the darker meat has the best chicken flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Used to get from my local Chinese:

Fried Rice
    Salt & Chili Chicken pieces
    Chicken Satay skewers
    Prawn Toast
    Curry Sauce (for both the rice and the s&c chicken)

And occasionally to mix things up, typical 4-meat Pizza & chicken dippers combo meal from Apache.

However, no takeaways for the last 4 months, and none for the foreseeable future as I'm on a diet due to eating stuff like the above far too regularly. Mmmmm... salmon and broccoli...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ah Jaysus Lads will yiz STOP!! Feckin starving now and won't get anything till 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ush1 wrote: »
    Drumstick is the leg and the other bit you're on about is the thigh. Drumsticks are great, the darker meat has the best chicken flavour.

Agreed. Oyster thighs are particularly good and as you say the thigh meat is meant to be the colour it is. I think deep fried chicken breasts are boring. So I'll go with a dinner box box with two Oyster thighs and a drumstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Ush1 wrote: »

I actually think the thighs are the nicest. The breast is very dry and I'm not too gone on the drumsticks.

Anyway if I have to pick my favourite, it would be Chinese. I like chicken curry or sweet chili chicken cantonese style with rice and a small few chips.

I can't stand those spice bag things! I'd prefer to get salt n'chilli prawns than one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Jasus now I'm starving!!

In no particular order........

1. Spicy Box for a good greasy spicy feed.
    2. Shredded Crispy Chicken in Sweet Chille Sauce
    3. Double Burger from Romayo's
    4. SnackBox for a hangover
    5. Big Tasty from Mc Donald's

Oh it's dine in but you can get take-away now.....Nando's :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Chilli Chicken Curry from the Injun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

JayZeus wrote: »
    I prefer the single dead cow. More juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Chinese all the way.

Honey Ribs, Special green pepper with black bean sauce, fried rice, noodles and chips.

Some arsehole will be in soon to tell us they never eat takeaway and home cooked is much better, blah blah blah....

FU CK OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Hu Yu Gai Po from the Chinese (basically a shed load of pork, deep fried chicken, and vegetables in a sauce). Egg fried rice.

Singapore Noodles from Camile.

Pizza from Il Fornaio with chipper chips from place next door, for a side chip butty with fresh white bread. Carb fest.

Chicken balti or Lamb bhuna from the Indian takeaway. Naan bread and boiled rice.

While OF COURSE home made food is better for you, the whole point of takeaway is that you can't be arsed cooking, and you want something dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Chicken tikka masala with a keema naan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Indian.
    Chicken jalfrezi.
    Rogan Josh.
    Phall.

Chinese.
    Singapore chow mein.
    Whole breast chicken curry.
    Chicken in black pepper sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It has to be Smoked Cod and Chips - a classic that has stood the test of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The Irish fascination with the Chinese takeaway both fascinates and disgusts me. The food is disgusting swill, and should come with a long series of warnings about the damage it is doing to your body. When I'm home you notice people queuing out the door of these places. Waiting patiently for a brown bag of diabetes-inducing and teeth cloying food to be handed out through a hatch to them. Rubber meat, vacuum packed vegetables, heat and pour sauces. A triumph of the cost effectiveness of a bank of microwaves, saturated fat, sugar, and salt. 
    Then home to eat this muck in front of the television while watching 'Ant and Dec' or Winning Streak. Combined with two or three bottles of Chateau Apple Green. 
    Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

The Irish fascination with the Chinese takeaway both fascinates and disgusts me. The food is disgusting swill, and should come with a long series of warnings about the damage it is doing to your body. When I'm home you notice people queuing out the door of these places. Waiting patiently for a brown bag of diabetes-inducing and teeth cloying food to be handed out through a hatch to them. Rubber meat, vacuum packed vegetables, heat and pour sauces. A triumph of the cost effectiveness of a bank of microwaves, saturated fat, sugar, and salt.
    Then home to eat this muck in front of the television while watching 'Ant and Dec' or Winning Streak. Combined with two or three bottles of Chateau Apple Green.
    Pass.

Ara but sure aren't we happy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Pass.

You're a batter burger traditionalist then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Supermacs, all day every day.

Christ if there's one thing I missed for the two years I left Ireland it was Supermacs.
    Has to be a Galway Supermacs though, it doesn't travel well.

The Dublin ones just aren't up to par..do ya see what they do to the Cheese burgers? Ketchup in them. Madness

Anyways, theres the snack box, with two thighs (can polish those bad boys) and a portion of burger sauce for the chips. Or a lunch box, (two thighs AND a breast) if I've a right hunger.

Or a curry cheese chips & chicken breast sandwich.

And for dessert? The staple chocolate muffin and ice cream. Perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I dont think Ive had a takeaway in over a year - very very rarely get one.

But if I do, my favourite is:

Snack box with a breast of chicken, and 2 battered sausages. Sure - I dont NEED two - but I love them. Gallons of vinegar, drown those babies.

or

Special box with curry sauce - literally havent had that one in so many years that Im not sure if they even serve it anymore. A special box had chips, 2 chicken balls and a spring roll in it back in the day.

or

Roast duck cantonese, chips and curry sauce.

I absolutely abhor delivery pizzas, always soggy. Im not a mad fan of Indian takeaway either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There's a pretty good Indian place near me that does a nice Madras which is the closest approximation I've found in Ireland to the every day curry chicken you'd get in southern India (Madras being the old name for Chennai).
    I usually have to ask them to crank up the heat a little extra. They also do a decent channa masalla and a very good biryani. Their fresh naans and rotis are spot on too.

So my current favourite take away is chicken madras, chana masalla, pilau rice and roti. If I'm in the mood for comfort food I'll go for the biryani and a naan.

Usually get a starter or aloo tikki or veg pakoras with with some nice chutney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Green curry, steak burrito (no cheese).
    Chinese food always seems like a good idea a the time, then you wonder why you bothered.

Advertisement