Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valuation House Book

Options
  • 31-08-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

My ancestor was James McDonough who was living in Bellanagare. Here is James in the search results.
    This is the actual page with him at number 7.

In the search results, it has the year as 1854. However, on the right hand side it seems to list the year as 1812. I assume that this is the year anyway. In the census, he was recorded as a retired carpenter so I wonder was it a carpentry shop that he had. His son was supposed to have been a carpenter in Clonalis House.

I also see that an 'OR' has been added between entry 7 and 8. Rev. Patrick McDonough was James's brother and to the right of his entry, the year 1854 can be seen.

If 1812 is actually the year that the entry for James McDonough was recorded then this James would likely be the father of Patrick and my ancestor James rather than a brother of Patrick.

Also I just noticed that there is a Charles Bianconi listed in the search results. This must be him since it wouldn't have been a common name in Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bianconi

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the Bianconi entry, it says offices and garden, no mention of house. Offices referred to anything from a small shed up - could have been a water station for the horses, full stables etc. Important enough route back then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My interpretation is that James McDonough's lease dates from 1812 but the valuation was done in 1854. Griffiths' Valuation only began their work in 1847.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

L1011 wrote: »
    On the Bianconi entry, it says offices and garden, no mention of house. Offices referred to anything from a small shed up - could have been a water station for the horses, full stables etc. Important enough route back then.

There's loads of results for Charles Bianconi if you look him up in Griffith's Valuation but he seems to have mainly lived in Tipperary. Like that on Griffith's Valuation, Charles Bianconi's result in Bellanagare is offices, yard and garden with no house listed.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    My interpretation is that James McDonough's lease dates from 1812 but the valuation was done in 1854. Griffiths' Valuation only began their work in 1847.

Thank you, that makes sense. It wouldn't actually bring me back another generation then since it just records the current occupier and when the lease for the house began for the family. Still, it was interesting to find since I haven't come across any other family members in the Valuation books. I haven't searched for every ancestor but considering the rest were farmers in the country, I don't expect that they would have made the Valuation books.

But it does mean you could look in the Registry of Deeds for a lease from 1812...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    But it does mean you could look in the Registry of Deeds for a lease from 1812...

Those records would only be available in Dublin rather than online, right? I'll have to put it on my list of things to check out in Dublin since I rarely go there. Thanks, it's good to know that there may be more information to find if I was to go and search actual archives rather than what's just online.

Untranscribed scans are available via Familysearch. You could also check the RoD Index project.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Images from the Registry of Deeds are available at Family Search.

There is also the Registry of Deeds Index Project which is slowly making its way through the memorials.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cross-posted with Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm one of the slow transcribers of the Registry of Deeds - it's not something you can speed up. I'm sure more volunteers would be very welcome

It's head wrecking; the Indexes are not particularly helpful - if you know where your ancestor lived it's usually better to plough through the place name indexes to find name of ancestors, or landlords of ancestors; the registers were microfilmed in the 50s and 60s, and some of the films are murky so you need to fiddle with the exposure; then you need to wade through the legalese to find out what the deed is about.

Having said that, I've found out an incredible amount of information about one branch of the family which goes back to the 1600s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement