Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

About them vegans lads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Well this thread has entertained my morning.

Gzunda acting very strange today.

Careful Gozunda, all that meat eating cant be good for the heart if you're getting so worked up about such minor issue.

why are farmers so greedy that people becoming vegan are a threat to their few bob?!

i'd love to see the farming industry in ireland completely collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

i'd love to see the farming industry in ireland completely collapse.

It would already have collapsed if it wasn't massively subsidised. Not that I want it to but that is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I never found a trainwreck hilarious until this thread steamed over a cliff.

Just catching up after lunch (roast beef and spuds if anyone interested) and couldn't agree more.

At least I learned a new term. A "plant advocate" that is a new one on me.

I'm not particularly invested in this topic, but I knew the pro vegan group were very vocal and passionate. It appears the anti vegan group can be equally so.

No problem with that by the way, if veganism was adopted as mainstream it would have affects on Irish life and industry.
    There however is not a hope in hell of that ever happening. The population at large will not wilfully give up meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

joe40 wrote: »

No problem with that by the way, if veganism was adopted as mainstream it would have affects on Irish life and industry.
    There however is not a hope in hell of that ever happening. The population at large will not wilfully give up meat.

No, no. Big Tofu is coming to getcha. There are bands of vegans with kale madness roving the streets seeing who can be the most cognitively dissonant while beating up anyone who says "cheese" while having their picture taken. Farming is going to be made illegal and they're bringing back hanging for it. What it all boils down to is George Soros wants better preserved corpses for his nefarious experiments so he's pumping us all full of artificial preservatives and steering us away from beef, which sharpens the mind and makes us physically harder to subdue.

Or else people are just eating less meat because they want to and they can. It's one or the other. Gozunda is only about 150 hours of very angry research away from blowing the whole thing wide open.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I eat less meat these days. But when I'm eating meat, I'm spending more money on it to make sure its good and well sourced.

no vegans were harmed in the writing of this post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

482609.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...i'd love to see the farming industry in ireland completely collapse.

Thousands of people losing their livelihoods would amuse you, would it? Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’m the one on a weird crusade? Dearie me.

Lol yup one seriously weird crusade. Out of your nine posts here - the majority of them are personal directed comments. And very first comment was exactly that. Not a discussion- but just more weird ****e . Tbh its funny how you and some others would shut down discussion about them vegan lads (sic). Not going to happen and just to let you know I have nothing against you Thelonious btw. I dont care what you eat tbh.

But as I said if you dont like someones views or opinions - you can always use your ignore button and stop trying to derail every single thread I post on. If you want a discussion- no problem either. There you go...

jimgoose wrote: »
    Thousands of people losing their livelihoods would amuse you, would it? Fair play to you.

yes, if it's loudmouth subsidised over-paid moany farmers that think they run the country, then yes, it would amuse me. dont care what you make of that, im just being honest.

i suppose it would be amusing more to see them in a flap about it all, rather than them losing everything i guess... but either way, it wouldnt bother me at all. i could grow my own veg and sure, i wouldnt miss the meat anyway.

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol yup one seriously weird crusade. Out of your nine posts here - the majority of them are personal directed comments. And very first comment was exactly that. Not a discussion- but just more weird ****e . Tbh its funny how you and some others would shut down discussion. Not going to happen and just to let you know I have nothing against you Thelonious btw.

But as I said if you dont like someones views or opinions - you can always use your ignore button and stop trying to derail every single thread I post on. If you want a discussion- no problem either. There you go...

you have literally derailed EVERY SINGLE POST by anyone who differs in opinion - on EVERY thread that ever existed .....

then you went on about them "fancying you" - are you that removed from reality that you think someone could possibly fancy a tiny avatar and words on a screen??? hahaha im highly amused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just seeing if you hold everyone to the same standard. We are often told how much farmers care for their animals, especially in Ireland (coming from rural ireland, I largely believe it). So where are the farmers protesting at halting sites? Or puppy farms? Or do they only care about the animals they can make money off? Or is it only the dreaded vegans that are held to such high standards?

I'm not a vegan but some of the nonsense that gets spouted here about vegans and extremists is crazy.

Farmers aren’t the ones going round protesting and spouting on about animal rights etc when at the back of their addenda it’s an antui farming group.

Yes farmers care for their animals because every good farmer knows that happy, healthy animals thrive, animals that thrive make more money.

_Brian wrote: »
    Farmers aren’t the ones going round protesting and spouting on about animal rights etc when at the back of their addenda it’s an antui farming group.

Yes farmers care for their animals because every good farmer knows that happy, healthy animals thrive, animals that thrive make more money.

No the farmers just greedily protest about wanting more money for nothing.

Or more money for feeding the ungrateful public 🙄

The average income on a beef farm in Ireland is €8000 including direct payments. Hardly a fortune

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This may sound facetious, but I don't think you understand the economics of farming

you have literally derailed EVERY SINGLE POST by anyone who differs in opinion - on EVERY thread that ever existed ..... then you went on about them "fancying you" - are you that removed from reality that you think someone could possibly fancy a tiny avatar and words on a screen??? hahaha im highly amused

Really lol.

Hello Mr/ Ms Amused pleased to meat you too ;) Bit late to the party to be making stupud personal comments no? The topic of the thread is
    About them vegan lads

What a bunch of opinionated vegetable eaters

Hmmm I am defintly being swayed in one direction on this tbh from the usual crowd ...

Care to discuss the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew old Gozzie would be all over it like white on rice. The one man army waging his righteous battle against the environment and diets he disagrees with fights on. Communists and hippies beware, the Gozzmeister is logged in, you might just receive a PM at an odd hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

He's basically saying he'd love to see my tax increased to cover these peoples dole.

Or more money for feeding the ungrateful public 🙄

The average income on a beef farm in Ireland is €8000 including direct payments. Hardly a fortune

but thats my point - the farmers side of the argument is just as you said above - the "ungrateful public" - and the fact that a minority are becoming vegan threatens your purse becoming lighter in the long run if more people choose to become vegan.

why in the world do farmers bleat and moan ONLY about MONEY ?? thats the baseline of any argument ive heard from farmers on any relevant topic. But what about the farmers money? how come "the public" arent "grateful" for our hard work? why should we be? some of us (vegans) dont NEED you and that, i feel, is what threatens farmers and people associated with it.

question for you - would you be for or against the legalisation of cannabis cultivation? if against, then that tells me that you are stuck in your ways and unable to see the potential MASSIVE revenue increase, and also a reduction in the harm that gets caused to animals welfare as part of the process of "overfarming" - the overfarming of animals would not have to take place, people are free to become vegans without it being a threat to the purse strings of the farmers, and the farmers income goes through the roof.

is it a rural thing to be against cannabis as an alternative way to make money for farmers? or have they simply just not thought it out properly. ???

genuinely interested to know the opinion of farmers on this topic.
    especialy as a means to reduce the harm caused by over farming of animals for meat.

Yurt! wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew old Gozzie would be all over it like white on rice. The one man army waging his righteous battle against the environment and diets he disagrees with fights on. Communists and hippies beware, the Gozzmeister is logged in, you might just receive a PM at an odd hour.

Like your friend simply requesting a stop to the weird crusade ****e. Doesn't seem to work - but hey I suppose it was worth a go. ;)

What do you think of the topic Yurt!?
    about them vegan lads "

What a bunch of opinionated vegetable eaters

I'm still undecided - but starting to lean strongly in one direction tbh ...

but thats my point - the farmers side of the argument is just as you said above - the "ungrateful public" - and the fact that a minority are becoming vegan threatens your purse becoming lighter in the long run if more people choose to become vegan.

why in the world do farmers bleat and moan ONLY about MONEY ?? thats the baseline of any argument ive heard from farmers on any relevant topic. But what about the farmers money? how come "the public" arent "grateful" for our hard work? why should we be? some of us (vegans) dont NEED you and that, i feel, is what threatens farmers and people associated with it.

question for you - would you be for or against the legalisation of cannabis cultivation? if against, then that tells me that you are stuck in your ways and unable to see the potential MASSIVE revenue increase, and also a reduction in the harm that gets caused to animals welfare as part of the process of "overfarming" - the overfarming of animals would not have to take place, people are free to become vegans without it being a threat to the purse strings of the farmers, and the farmers income goes through the roof.

is it a rural thing to be against cannabis as an alternative way to make money for farmers? or have they simply just not thought it out properly. ???

genuinely interested to know the opinion of farmers on this topic.
    especialy as a means to reduce the harm caused by over farming of animals for meat.

Something like the farming of cannabis will be done under government licence by a select few. Board NaMona have already staked a claim so you can be sure it won’t be ordinary farmers getting involved.
    But no I’d have no problem seeing it being grown widely.

I just can’t see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

During one of those really icy winters about ten years ago a farmer in a tractor gave me and three other cars of people he didn't know a tow up an icy hill in his tractor, took him most of an hour. It was Christmas Eve! My da tried to give him 20 quid to say thanks and he went nuts.

I grew up in the country and you can't go a week without something happening to someone that they need a farmer to fix. I don't agree with killing animals to eat but farmers are alright!

Very unvegan of me not to gleefully wish financial ruin on them I know!

yes, if it's loudmouth subsidised over-paid moany farmers that think they run the country, then yes, it would amuse me...

Me too. If I ever meet one of them, I expect I'll react the same as you. Good luck with the veg - you'll need it. :pac:

...Very unvegan of me not to gleefully wish financial ruin on them I know!

Also and as well, you should try to keep "in" with fellas who own tractors and diggers and things, as well as acres and acres of land in which a buried body might never be found. Just sayin'. :D

Doubt that is any consideration whatsoever tbh. The demand for quality meat and dairy is what keeps the Irish farming sector being successful.. That there are some bitter individuals who would like to see it go to the wall is fairly pathetic tbh. Would you like other subsidised sectors of the economy to to the wall - say for example the IT industry - just because you didnt use computers or something?
    Why in the world do farmers bleat and moan ONLY about MONEY ?? thats the baseline of any argument ive heard from farmers on any relevant topic. But what about the farmers money? how come "the public" arent "grateful" for our hard work? why should we be? some of us (vegans) dont NEED you and that, i feel, is what threatens farmers and people associated with it.

They dont.

Question for you - would you be for or against the legalisation of cannabis cultivation? if against, then that tells me that you are stuck in your ways and unable to see the potential MASSIVE revenue increase, and also a reduction in the harm that gets caused to animals welfare as part of the process of "overfarming" - the overfarming of animals would not have to take place, people are free to become vegans without it being a threat to the purse strings of the farmers, and the farmers income goes through the roof.
    is it a rural thing to be against cannabis as an alternative way to make money for farmers? or have they simply just not thought it out properly. ??? genuinely interested to know the opinion of farmers on this topic.

You do know growing cannabis is illegal and smoking it is bad for your health? And the fact that our climate is not suitable for growing same?

Also and as well, you should try to keep "in" with fellas who own tractors and diggers and things, as well as acres and acres of land in which a buried body might never be found. Just sayin'. :D

Before they start growing cannabis and getting high on their own supply

Something like the farming of cannabis will be done under government licence by a select few. Board NaMona have already staked a claim so you can be sure it won’t be ordinary farmers getting involved.
    But no I’d have no problem seeing it being grown widely.

I just can’t see it happening.

well instead of farmers moaning about vegans not eating their produce, why arent farmers banding together to protest their right to grow cannabis?

the priority seems to be to focus in on vegans and people who dont want to eat meat being the "enemy" for not supporting the farmers. grow something else instead, there's plenty of alternatives to meat... why dont the farmers get involved in producing vegan products????? wouldnt take much to grow the ingredients for vegan stuff, wouldnt even take up much space on the field,

my thought is that they (the farmers) should stop giving out about more people becoming vegan, and focus on their own plan to increase their own incomes. it's similar to the dole heads, why should everyone else have to worry about how much money farmers are making or not making.

and sure look - we havent had it be sunny and hot this summer yet, so maybe thats another reason they are targeting vegans at the moment, because if the sun was out they'd be moaning about that. "too dry to grow me crops" etc etc...

gozunda wrote: »
    Doubt that is any consideration whatsoever tbh. The demand for quality meat and dairy is what keeps the Irish farming sector being successful.. That there are some bitter I individuals who would like to see it go to the wall is fairly pathetic tbh. Would you like other subsidised sectors of the economy to to the wall - say for example the IT industry - just because you didnt use computers or something?

They dont.

is it a rural thing to be against cannabis as an alternative way to make money for farmers? or have they simply just not thought it out properly. ??? genuinely interested to know the opinion of farmers on this topic.

You do know growing cannabis is illegal and smoking it is bad for your health? And the fact that our climate is not suitable for growing same?[/QUOTE]

shows how little you know about the cultivation of the cannabis plant then doesnt it?

why are you not out demanding it be allowed in this country instead it's always "stick to the plan and annoy everyone until we get more money". the status quo.

evrytyhing else in the post was just waffle

sure the same could be said to you to keep "in" with anyone with fists or a kitchen knife who lives near a canal.

anyway wait, have we degraded now to death threats?!

you are a funny little man

sure the same could be said to you to keep "in" with anyone with fists or a kitchen knife who lives near a canal.

anyway wait, have we degraded now to death threats?!

you are a funny little man

Jesus! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

shows how little you know about the cultivation of the cannabis plant then doesnt it?
    why are you not out demanding it be allowed in this country instead it's always "stick to the plan and annoy everyone until we get more money". the status quo. evrytyhing else in the post was just waffle

Lol. Seriously. You are a cannabis growing expert? Really. Theres a very good discussion over in F&F about that very subject including exactly why our climate Is NOT suitable.

But yes it is illegal and smoking it is bad for your health.

Why the fuk would anyone demand something which a) is illegal b) is not suitable for Irish growing conditions and c) is bad for you.

All so some can spend their time stoned out of their tiny minds? Nope not a starter.

Advertisement