Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Plain and simple, Fine Gael are scum of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Btw, I don't understand why companies don't just refuse to pay these ridiculous claims.

Because refusing to pay a claim does not magically make it go away. The claimant lodges proceedings to have the matter heard in court and if the defendant (and their insurer) do not turn up, the claimant wins by default.

Anyone can make a claim against anybody for anything. It is at your own peril you don't defend your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Whatever doctor is telling her its ok for her to run 20k a week if she can't sit or stand for long periods must be a muppet.

Or maybe she just barely goes to her doctor because she is really perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

razorblunt wrote: »
    She sat on a swing with items in both her hands.
    Rule no12 of the playground, always grab on when getting on a swing.
    Eejit.

Hotel is fighting it

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Technically a peanut is a bean so...... Yes, I am that pedantic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Hotel is fighting it
    As they should and I hope they win big time.

Hope life is good with you, your wife, kids, and job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

LillySV wrote: »

And the rest.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Ms Bailey claimed she can no longer sit or stand for long periods without experiencing pain or discomfort. She also said she used to run 70km a week before the fall, but has had to reduce this to less than 20km.

I'm sure you did:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

LillySV wrote: »

Have you anything else in common with them?

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

lemd wrote: »
    Technically a peanut is a bean so...... Yes, I am that pedantic!

So...peanut butter does not contain nuts then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Compo culture getting out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

BPKS wrote: »
    The hotel which has an indoor swing where it knows drunk people will be using it should have known better also. Its all grand to be giving out about dodgy claims and rip-off insurance and so on but business owners need to use a bit of cop on too.

Unfortunately that's the way things are, but it shouldn't be. There shouldn't be an expectation that the world needs to be childproofed to protect drunks and gob****es.
    If I ran a hotel I would think seriously about whether this particular guest can be trusted with regular cutlery as issued to the grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Grid. wrote: »
    I'm sure you did:rolleyes:

Olympic level fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

branie2 wrote: »

Getting???

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Looks like she only has a leaving cert, no third level qualification.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/mariabaileytd

Explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

branie2 wrote: »

Certainly is, these 2 chancers aren't giving up easily and you can bet if/when they lose their claim in the high court it won't cost them a cent.

TWO brothers who had their €38,000 personal injury claims thrown out in 2015 after a judge found they were likely involved in a staged accident have appealed the decision to the High Court.
    Martin and John Gerard Corcoran, originally from Galway but now believed to be living at a halting site in London, had their claims dismissed in the Circuit Civil Court after the judge found Aviva Insurance’s evidence about links between a Romanian group and Travellers to be “compelling”.
    Costs were awarded against the Corcoran brothers but they later appealed the decision to the High Court, with the case this week being adjourned until July 1.
    The appeal process has taken close to four years and Aviva says substantial costs are being racked up defending the case.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/significant-costs-racked-up-as-brothers-who-had-injury-claims-thrown-out-appeal-to-high-court-38133059.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Looks like she only has a leaving cert, no third level qualification.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/mariabaileytd

Explains a lot.

What does that explain?????

So people who only have a leaving cert are what?

Stupid is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

So...peanut butter does not contain nuts then?

It may contain nuts, hence the label. Although since it is the peanut that causes the allergy it is a moot point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Stupid is it?

Sitting on a swing without holding on is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Stupid is it?

My 4 year old son hasn't got leaving cert either.

He's mastered the art of using a swing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

grahambo wrote: »
    You actually couldn't make this sh*t up!

Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey has sued the Dean after falling off Sophies swing.

She's looking for €60,000.

When the Politicians are making dodgey insurance claims, you know for sure that the country is absolutely fooked!

You're right, you couldn't make it up. The optics of this are just awful. What on earth was she thinking of as a publicly elected representative when she pursued this claim? Ok, it's four years ago but issues about insurance costs have been around longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Stupid is it?

Well, it does reinforce the statistic that Irish politicians are poorly educated compared to their European counterparts.

There is actually a study from a few years ago (I will try to find it) that compared the educational levels/attainment of politicians across all national European parliaments and Ireland was at the bottom.

Having said that looking at the fiasco in the UK it looks like higher education is over rated.

My 4 year old son hasn't got leaving cert either.

He's mastered the art of using a swing though.

So he’s not stupid.

Glad we all agree that the level of education doesn’t make one stupid or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Glad we all agree that the level of education doesn’t make one stupid or not.

You're happy for someone to be involved in legislation that affects all our lives, yet hasn't the cop on to hold onto to a swing and worse again expects to be compensated for her own stupidity. Fair play for defending her idiocy. Call went out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm presume all indoor swings will now be dismantled?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You're right, you couldn't make it up. The optics of this are just awful. What on earth was she thinking of as a publicly elected representative when she pursued this claim? Ok, it's four years ago but issues about insurance costs have been around longer than that.

Money.

You're happy for someone to be involved in legislation that affects all our lives, yet hasn't the cop on to hold onto to a swing and worse again expects to be compensated for her own stupidity. Fair play for defending her idiocy. Call went out?

Where have I defended her?

I already called her an idiot and a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

PaulieC wrote: »
    only reasonable course of action is to let your local FG election and European election candidates that you will not vote FG because of this, no matter who the candidate is.

Yeah that sounds fair and right.

There will be no one or no parties left to vote for if people won’t vote over one members behavior.
    Well put Leo's nimbyism into the mix and that could be reason enough for anyone suffering from the housing crisis or the insurance crisis to express themselves by voting for anyone but fg.

Now there is a slogan. ABFG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Best story ever. Can't wait for this to be featured on all the UK/US chat shows in their 'ah sure look show stupid the Paddies are' section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well, it does reinforce the statistic that Irish politicians are poorly educated compared to their European counterparts.

There is actually a study from a few years ago (I will try to find it) that compared the educational levels/attainment of politicians across all national European parliaments and Ireland was at the bottom.

Having said that looking at the fiasco in the UK it looks like higher education is over rated.

Its important to be able to differentiate between education and intelligence.
    I will take the intelligent person anytime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement