Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Great site always use it life saver trying to track down mad stuff it always comes in handy.

Cheers!

Its kind of crazy really, I made the original version in a weekend or so just have an excuse to do some web development, it pretty awesome that people still use it 6 years later!

What is possibly more weird about it is the code for stock checking has not changed for the 6 years (well i moved from PHP to Node 2 years ago, but its still the same parsing logic), which says a lot about the amount the argos website has changed in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wheety wrote: »
    Remington Pro Air Lightweight 2200W Hair Dryer AC5913W

€9.83.

Cheapest before this, according to checkargos, was €35.09.
    When I go to order this, I get to the reserve screen, and it can be ordered for pick-up, but when I do, it just goes to the out of stock screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Quazzie wrote: »
    When I go to order this, I get to the reserve screen, and it can be ordered for pick-up, but when I do, it just goes to the out of stock screen.

Apologies :o

I only went as far as seeing that it could be ordered for collection. Didn't actually try and place an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wheety wrote: »
    Apologies :o

I only went as far as seeing that it could be ordered for collection. Didn't actually try and place an order.
    No need to apologize. Not your fault in the slightest. Seems to be a regular trick/error by Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Collected mine this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cheers!

Its kind of crazy really, I made the original version in a weekend or so just have an excuse to do some web development, it pretty awesome that people still use it 6 years later!

What is possibly more weird about it is the code for stock checking has not changed for the 6 years (well i moved from PHP to Node 2 years ago, but its still the same parsing logic), which says a lot about the amount the argos website has changed in that time!

Yeah I was just thinking the same myself.....:rolleyes:;););)

I haven't a clue what any of that means - but thanks! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No joy collecting either Lego set,the lady at the counter showed me the company policy of paying the price on the day but seeing as I reserved to collect she's going to have a word with her manager about lost sales and get back to me..... there's still hope that I might get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah I was just thinking the same myself.....:rolleyes:;););)

I haven't a clue what any of that means - but thanks! :):):)

:)

Basically when you check stock on checkargos, it loads the same Argos page that you would load if you checked the stock on argos.ie and reads the stock level from that page. It does that for every store that you have selected.

I have not needed to change the above in 6 years, which means that page on Argos has not changed, significantly at least, in 6 years. For a website to have not changed in 6 years is pretty much insane!

:)

Basically when you check stock on checkargos, it loads the same Argos page that you would load if you checked the stock on argos.ie and reads the stock level from that page. It does that for every store that you have selected.

I have not needed to change the above in 6 years, which means that page on Argos has not changed, significantly at least, in 6 years. For a website to have not changed in 6 years is pretty much insane!

You should head over to rte.ie if you want to see a website that hasn't changed. There's posts in the news/about us sections that are from 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Quazzie wrote: »
    No need to apologize. Not your fault in the slightest. Seems to be a regular trick/error by Argos.

Not sure what you mean by trick!

I was online after 7 this morning and there was lots of stock to reserve. I reserved one and will pick it up tomorrow.

As with all BA you need to be quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

ablelocks wrote: »
    Got mine in Crescent SC this morning. I got the text at 11.05, dropped everything, turned off phone so i couldn't get a call and went to collect.

Was told price was €169.99. Very politely mentioned I reserved it at a lower price and showed her the email - lady checked and said there was a NOTE to say do not sell at this price as it was an error. She asked did I not get the call, I said no and I'm after driving for 45 mins after getting the text. She said that they weren't allowed override the price in-store, but she talked to the manager, who eventually did come out and sold to me but only after stressing that this was most unusual and i was a very lucky ablelocks. Both staff very nice and professional....but it does look like there are new protocols for dealing with errors if the customer service head office have to be consulted...(I overheard the call..)

I still have to go in tomorrow to get the ninjago one though...

What happened? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by trick!

I was online after 7 this morning and there was lots of stock to reserve. I reserved one and will pick it up tomorrow.

As with all BA you need to be quick

I wouldn't have left it until tomorrow.

If they realise there's a mistake, they mightn't sell it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭superflyninja

The Lego Star Destroyer shipped from Argos ebay today. (I ordered Monday). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭smallgarden

The Lego Star Destroyer shipped from Argos ebay today. (I ordered Monday). Thanks!

I just received mine from ebay. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭p225886

Collected my Lego Star Wars from Blanchardstown tonight. Manager honoured the lower price. First-time that has ever worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

VanZan wrote: »
    What happened? :)

same lady was on the tills so i didn't want her to deal with it - i can wait until this evening and there'll be somebody else who won't remember that i got a great big lego set for 42 quid earlier in the week....

edit : and it all went fine - and i picked up a bucket of bricks reduced from 32 - 20 too...

Got my Lego sets,seems the new policy going forward is customers will have to pay the price on the day they go collect their stuff.

Got my Lego sets,seems the new policy going forward is customers will have to pay the price on the day they go collect their stuff.

That's actually been the policy for quite some time, though they don't always enforce it.

Did you pay full price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

No luck getting it today. Never got a message saying it was in for collection. They said they tried ringing yesterday to cancel but I had no missed calls or voice mails. Was basically told to PFO and to take it up with argos head office :mad:
    Should have ordered the one that was in stock in Longford last week.

That's actually been the policy for quite some time, though they don't always enforce it.

Did you pay full price?

For the full price I'd have left it,got it at the reduced price.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

That isn't the case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sunny2004 wrote: »
    That isn't the case.

Its always been the case- however, since Argos was taken over by Sainsburys- they are far more inclined to enforce it. Its pure pot luck imagining you'll get anything at the reserved price these days- you, you may not- and it depends entirely on the manager in the store in question (and more pertinently, the quarterly margin they are operating at- the lowest 10% have 'remedial' action imposed on them by head office............

Its always been the case- however, since Argos was taken over by Sainsburys- they are far more inclined to enforce it. Its pure pot luck imagining you'll get anything at the reserved price these days- you, you may not- and it depends entirely on the manager in the store in question (and more pertinently, the quarterly margin they are operating at- the lowest 10% have 'remedial' action imposed on them by head office............

The staff I spoke to had been briefed that there will be a stricter policy on price errors. They seemed to like the idea that the public get a great bargain now and then and were happy that I got sorted but as I said,word was sent to all stores to enforce the "price on the day" policy. As you say it's gonna be pot luck that anyone will get stuff that's mispriced going forward, won't stop us trying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

You're incorrect or didn't understand what I was replying to, it isn't their policy to make you pay the price on the day of collection. In the case of reserved items you pay the reserved price, if on the day the system shows a higher price, which is often then it's at their discretion. Otherwise the prices regarding discounts simply wouldn't work. We are not talking about pricing errors here.
    So in simply terms my statement is correct, please re-read what I quoted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

So large part of this forum will be gone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

So sorry I missed the Star Wars lego. I think they should honour these type of errors. There is no argos near me so I have to drive to get these items. They could email to say the reservation price has changed but if they don't I think it's bad customer service to charge more. If anyone has a code for Dublin they are using I would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

People sharing here is unfortunately what causes these deals to be flagged as the level of products being bought is massive, in order to get these deals you need to be quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm a bit bemused that argos are turning around and calling them errors.
    Correct me if im wrong but for the above bargains They mark the stuff as discounted not actually change down the headline price.
    How could that be an error?

Having you drive for a fair bit to collect and then told that the price is changed is sharp practice.
    Can you ever trust any of their advertised sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Agreed, how do we know which discounts are real? Some of their deals are genuinely good, will be hard to know which is which going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Adonis Sweet Jade

I'm a bit bemused that argos are turning around and calling them errors.
    Correct me if im wrong but for the above bargains They mark the stuff as discounted not actually change down the headline price.
    How could that be an error?

Having you drive for a fair bit to collect and then told that the price is changed is sharp practice.
    Can you ever trust any of their advertised sales?

They don't make you drive a fair bit to collect. That's your choice not their premeditated plan to fool you.

Advertisement