Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Devil May Cry 5

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was really excited at seeing Nero and classic Dante return. I really was. I remember being excited years ago for a new DMC game only to see that it was that daft reboot.

I won't be buying this until it gets heavily marked down in a sale. There are plenty of games out there that don't pull this sh*t.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Love V's fighting style. Seems very unique compared to Nero and Dante. Co-op confirmed. Story still seems interesting, they're not giving much away. More weapons for Dante confirmed now too including return of Cerberus.

Can. Not. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm downloading a demo of this onto my XB1 now. Never played a Devil May Cry game before so it's all new to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

V to me looks like they took a magic-casting class from an action RPG game like Dragon's Dogma (which was the last game the DMC devs did) and are trying to work it into a technical action game

I get a lot of people are put off by how slow V looks (and how edgy he is) but I reckon he could be the darkhorse of DMCV when it comes to combat mechanics. Especially as you're controlling two dudes.

My impression is it is taking some of the big magic-casting stuff from the summoner class from Dragon's Dogma (even has that same meteor spell at around 0:52) and taking the slow-walk combat style from Vergil in DMC4 and marrying that with the way Lady played in DMC4SE which was all about keeping range and only occasionally engaging up close.

Could all be a disaster but I'm more excited to see how it works than Dante or Nero which looks business as usual. I foresee a lot of setup-type attacks between V and his sarcastic Iago parrot friend guy.

One thing I am a bit concerned with is the game kind of looks altogether a bit slower than older DMC games. V is V and I don't mind that he is slow cause it's a whole new character class but that hefty movement that Dante and Nero have in their attacks makes me feel like they're sacrificing the twitchiness of the old games to make it look more realistic or something. The fact that the demo for Nero doesn't have enemy step is frustrating cause it would be useful to see if a lot of the same old tricks work in this new combat engine.

It's not the end of the world as DMC has always been slower than Bayo and Ninja Gaiden and has been more about fewer but more meaningful actions-per-minute as opposed to mashing like crazy. It's never really been a speed thing with the series. But I hope we are still allowed to break the game like we could in 3 and 4. Hell even DmC allowed you to fuk around with it.

I also really don't like the colour palette of the game. It looks too grimy. At first impression with the E3 trailer it looked like DmC which had a great visual style but everything they've shown since has been this black and grey slimy looking thing. Not very stylish.

I like the London-esque setting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Capcom are on a serous role at the moment. I really hope the micro-transactions ect don't interfere with the game.
    Gonna check the demo lout later. Looks really good.

I read a piece with Itsuno recently where he mentioned he was considering Dragons Dogma 2 before starting DMC5.

I'd love a Dragons Dogma sequel.

Tried the demo there. Really enjoyed it. The Devil Breakers work pretty well, seem very varied and some of the skills look awesome. Graphics and action of the game are great. Camera was a bit iffy at times, but not horribly so.

Will definitely play through it a few more times.

• Advertisement

I had a great time with the demo. Took a video of one of my runs

Following on some earlier thoughts I do think that 5 is slower than 3 and 4 were. Those games had more twitchiness to them and Dante/Nero would shift to a different animation state instantly but in 5 there's way more blending going on.

Once you get used to the weightiness and weird interia behind 5's physics it does start to feel really good though. It's a very strange comparison and I'm not just saying it cause you can surf a rocket, but the physics behind Nero's movement and way you can trick the **** out of enemies with your arms reminds of of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for some reason.

I think I like this Nero more than in 4 and speaking as someone overwhelmed by how Dante controlled in 4 I wouldn't mind him getting slowed down a bit in 5.

One complaint I have is that visibility in combat isn't always good. Not because of the camera (which can be very bad) but cause the visuals are so dark. Nero wears dark blue and fights grey demons in dark shadowy arenas so it's easy to lose sense of the action. The whole reason Kamiya gave Dante a red coat in the first place was so you could always see him easily.

Really enjoyed the demo. The gameplay is fluid. And the graphics are stunning.

Especially the spectacle of the boss fight and all the destruction.

I had issues with brightness over HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Devil arms are a great new addition, there will be some crazy combo vids using these.
    Firing off punch line and the riding the rocket is basic as it comes but stinks of DMC awesome!

I picked up DMC: Definitive Edition on Xbox for 6-7 euro as it was on sale. Only one I haven't played.
    What are peops thoughts on it?

I picked up DMC: Definitive Edition on Xbox for 6-7 euro as it was on sale. Only one I haven't played.
    What are peops thoughts on it?

Gameplay is decent and can be a lot of fun, and I think they fixed a lot of the issues people had with the original game in terms of controls, lock-on, camera etc in the Definitive Edition. Graphics are also pretty great.

Story, characters and general tone of the game are so godawful to the point where I felt embarrassed to be playing it at some points. Colour-coding enemies to what type of weapon you have to use on them was an awful idea. Some of the level design is good but some of it is terrible, especially with too many boring platforming sections. Devil Trigger sucked.

At its core, it's a decent game, and well worth what you've paid for it, and the very best thing I can say about it is that it's better than Devil May Cry 2.

If you've ever been curious about what it is that people dig about DMC3 and 4 but find those games obtuse and unwelcoming then DmC is the game for you. By which I mean it's cut from the same cloth as classic DMC but streamlines the onboarding and speeds you along to the point you're able to mess around with its free-flowing combat and discover **** by yourself without your hand being held.

It doesn't hit the same highs as DMC3 and the boss fights are mechanically basic (a lot of them are just big heads with glowing weak spots) but there's a great game in there. It's also maybe the closest I've seen a game come to look like its concept art.

Where it falters for me is it plateaus too quickly at higher difficulties. The original release had that thing where certain enemies wouldn't take damage from certain weapons, but even as they fixed that there's maybe only two enemies in the game where I feel like they got it right when it comes to providing a real interesting challenge (those witches and the dudes who teleport and parry your attacks back at you)

First Review is in from Famtitsu

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4/XBO) – 9/10/9/9

It genuinely looks like everything I wanted from a DMC game for 10 years, plus stuff I didn't even know I wanted sprinkled on top. Have replayed the demo a few times now and still really enjoy it. It feels so fluid, the devil breakers work surprisingly well and it looks glorious.

That trailer is just the icing on the icing on the cake.

Penn wrote: »
    It genuinely looks like everything I wanted from a DMC game for 10 years, plus stuff I didn't even know I wanted sprinkled on top. Have replayed the demo a few times now and still really enjoy it. It feels so fluid, the devil breakers work surprisingly well and it looks glorious.

That trailer is just the icing on the icing on the cake.

I love the game-play and general fluidity of the combat.
    It's a fantastic looking game too. The boss fight in that demo was epic.

• Advertisement

Feels like some of the face tech is better here than in RE2, Trish excepted. Dante looks intense when he sees you-know-who there in the middle of the video.

That sword he has looks interesting. Every attack has an after-image or something, so he does a simple slash and the extra attack launches them.

Review embargo is up tomorrow.
    Another confident move from Capcom who are killing it at the moment. I expect high scores across the board.
    Some comeback since RE7 / Monster Hunter World / Megaman / RE 2 Remake

Great watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Great watch

Cheers for that. Great analysis of the series.

Penn wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Great analysis of the series.

Gamespots journalistic approach has greatly improved IMO over the last couple of years.

Very well done piece.

Gamespots journalistic approach has greatly improved IMO over the last couple of years.

Very well done piece.

They were a lot more fair and balanced to Devil May Cry 2 than I would have been

"...and then they released Devil May Cry 2... Send your kids out of the room, I'm about to use every swear word I know repeatedly on a loop for about 38 minutes..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

€49.99 in smyths but can't seem to pre-order online? Too close to release maybe, Will it be this price tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to giving it a go. The series kind of lost its luster for me when Bayonetta arrived, which I felt was a more stylish, confident evolution of the series than the post DMC3 games. But this one looks good, and seems to be well received in the few quarters of the gaming web I'd trust. Feels like it's been awhile since a proper OTT action game, so yeah will give it a go while Sekiro looms teasingly in the near future ;)

Advertisement