Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

January wrote: »
    Why would the spokesperson say they both refuelled when they didn't

Do we know that for CERTAIN yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

January wrote: »
    Why would the spokesperson say they both refuelled when they didn't

I'm sure in situations like this, a lot of information is being passed about and some of it may be in error. Once its out there with the mainstream media its hard to correct it.

My thoughts concerned to the missing crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

ironclaw wrote: »
    If it was the guy on Morning Ireland, he was hopeless. He said it was a Scottish trawler, when it was Russian according to the Coast Guy statement. He wasn't prepared and seemed to just make it up as he went along. He shouldn't have been talking on national radio as he appeared to be a local lad who got the call and wanted a big day out.

Why didn't the Coast Guard have a rep? That seems odd to me for such a major incident, especially as we are ~6 hrs in.

Eugene Clonan was the guy on Newstalk, probably the same lad on Morning Ireland. He's the coast guard director. And quite possibly knows the crew personally. He sounds more devastated than 'wanting a big day out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If it was the guy on Morning Ireland, he was hopeless. He said it was a Scottish trawler, when it was Russian according to the Coast Guy statement. He wasn't prepared and seemed to just make it up as he went along. He shouldn't have been talking on national radio as he appeared to be a local lad who got the call and wanted a big day out.

Why didn't the Coast Guard have a rep? That seems odd to me for such a major incident, especially as we are ~6 hrs in.

That's absolute nonsense. He answered as best he could. Cathal kept asking him questions that he'd already answered.

Eugene Clonan was the guy on Newstalk, probably the same lad on Morning Ireland. He's the coast guard director. And quite possibly knows the crew personally. He sounds more devastated than 'wanting a big day out'.

Remember, up until October the Coast Guard had never lost one of their own while on a mission. Now they've possibly lost 3 (maybe 4) in one incident.

And this in a week where they buried one of their own who died after illness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

He's the acting director of the coastguard at the DoT. I think that people should give him a break in the circumstances tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The guy on RTE was Fergus Sweeney to the best of my recollection. I have nothing but respect for the Coast Guard and was in close proximity to the Tramore incident a few years back, hence my interest.
    That's absolute nonsense. He answered as best he could. Cathal kept asking him questions that he'd already answered.

I'd respectfully disagree. He answered the questions he wanted to be or thought had been asked, had little technical information and on the whole, wasn't the person RTE should have interviewed in my opinion. And its just that, an opinion.

I don't want to drag the thread, lets get on topic and hope for the best outcome here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

You're right. He did his best under the circumstances whilst sounding very upset for his colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

To me, the man almost sounded emotional and he may personally know some of the people involved. These guys are rescuers, not PR gurus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sorry if I am a bit behind here - just hearing this now.

Can't find anything on any radio playbacks but RTE have a clip on twitter of an interview where the speaker says the rescue mission is successful. Is the rescued person also missing at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Donal55 wrote: »
    And the same litany 'we dont hold out much hope'.

Very inconsiderate considering families of crewmen probably listening to radio for updates etc.
    If the men were in the water for 5 hours, even with life-jackets and protective gear etc; it doesn't look good. When "critical condition" is used for someone pulled from the water, it often means they've retrieved the body and are starting resuscitation - which they will continue for 40mins to 1 hr...but it could be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Can't find anything on any radio playbacks but RTE have a clip on twitter of an interview where the speaker says the rescue mission is successful. Is the rescued person also missing at this stage?

The fisherman made it back on the helicopter that didn't go down. The one that went down was providing top cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭sjb25

No two helicopters attended the incident one rescued the patient the helicopter that had crashed was providing top cover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Minister wrote: »
    You're right. He did his best under the circumstances whilst sounding very upset for his colleagues.
    To me, the man almost sounded emotional and he may personally know some of the people involved. These guys are rescuers, not PR gurus.

I think we are discussing two different interviews. I'm referring to a journalist @ around 7:20 / 7:30am on RTE 1 Morning Ireland only. Again, I have nothing but respect for these guys and have spent time with CHC in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

The medvac casualty and the crew are safe. Rescue 116 and its three crew who were providing top-cover are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

That's unfair I feel. The priority is the rescue of 116.... It is not possible to sit everyone down and get all the facts lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Very unprofessional by the head of the coast guard on Newstalk earlier .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Remember, up until October the Coast Guard had never lost one of their own while on a mission. Now they've possibly lost 3 (maybe 4) in one incident.

The heli crews are CHC personnel, not Coastguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm sickened, my thoughts and prayers are with the families and colleagues

arubex wrote: »
    The heli crews are CHC personnel, not Coastguard.

Fair point. But they still work closely with the CG and Clonan possibly does know the crew.

We have a guy who doesn't work for my employers, but is on site here with us everyday. I was at his wedding. If something happened him i'd be upset too, whether he's a direct colleague or not

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is the CHC?

Stheno wrote: »
    What is the CHC?

Contractor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHC_Helicopter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

jones 19 wrote: »

That's a bit much as someone else said he possibly knows these guys personally and has to put out interviews at a time when he's worried for colleagues. No wonder he was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Shocking and deeply saddening news to wake up to this morning. Heard the lads head off in the very early hours this morning as they departed Dublin.

Some of the comments on here are worthy of the Journal ffs some people need a bit of cop on/compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Thoughts with the crew and their families. The work these guys do is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Air Corp Casa seems the be returning to Dublin.

I'm actually in shock with the news. I've met and chatted with most of the crew and not only are they amazing brave lifesavers but they are just genuinely lovely nice people. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think that you are being rather harsh. The guy interviewed was a locally based journalist/photographer who broke the story overnight on twitter.

He would not have all of the technical info nor would I expect him to, and I think perhaps Cathal MacCoille was asking questions that were a little unreasonable in terms of what he would be expected to know.

The director of the Coast Guard gave a full interview after 08:00 with much more technical and informed information.

Given that the incident took place overnight, the time lapse before an official statement/interview was made isn't that surprising, and as well as that full internal incident meetings/briefings would have to take place first, along with getting support vessels and aircraft on site, and as mentioned families alerted too.

Our thoughts need to be with the crew, their families and all who work in the emergency services at this stage who do tremendous work 24/7, and not on a sideshow criticising someone for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

jones 19 wrote: »

Very unfair and unkind comment. So easy to criticise and condemn from the comfort of your keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The IAC Casa has returned inland. Probably to refuel. The past track search pattern is incredible, it's covered a huge area in such a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The guy on RTE was Fergus Sweeney to the best of my recollection. I have nothing but respect for the Coast Guard and was in close proximity to the Tramore incident a few years back, hence my interest.

I'd respectfully disagree. He answered the questions he wanted to be or thought had been asked, had little technical information and on the whole, wasn't the person RTE should have interviewed in my opinion. And its just that, an opinion.

I don't want to drag the thread, lets get on topic and hope for the best outcome here :)

No, it was Eugene Clonan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement