Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disabled parking spots at school problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

looksee wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Probably sorted by now but it seems like even rolling down the window and saying "excuse me, would you mind moving as my son needs this spot" hadn't even been attempted. No beeping, confrontation, passive aggressive parking, or going to national organisations needed until at least that fails.

I think if you read the thread you will see that this has in fact been tried.
    I've read the thread twice now but I must have missed the post where the OP asked those blocking the space to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've read the thread twice now but I must have missed the post where the OP asked those blocking the space to move.

Yes, apologies, I am mixing this thread up with a similar one somewhere else. The OP did mention some interaction with the people using the spaces without any success. But yes, the suggestion has been made that they should be asked to move.

looksee wrote: »

Yes, apologies, I am mixing this thread up with a similar one somewhere else. The OP did mention some interaction with the people using the spaces without any success. But yes, the suggestion has been made that they should be asked to move.
    Apologies myself, my post contained a bit of that passive aggressiveness I was advocating against.

Hopefully this can be/was sorted out withour resorting to other means. But it's good for people to know what other options are out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, a call to the local newspaper, or threat of same to the Parish as owner of the carpark could work wonders, shift the responsibility of all the effort onto more appropriate shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually, a call to the local newspaper, or threat of same to the Parish as owner of the carpark could work wonders, shift the responsibility of all the effort onto more appropriate shoulders.

Don't make the threat, OP; it'll make you into the bad guy. Make the call to the local paper; don't let them quote you by name or use your or your kid's photo. (If you let them use your name and photo, it'll become all about you as they "whiney troublemaker"; if you don't, it'll be all about the greedy, selfish mothers who take up a disabled space.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Something that makes my blood boil are holders of disabled passes who seem to have no problem lending same to relations and friends. Numerous times I have confronted said people and been told 'well yeah it's my mum's pass etc ' . When enquiring where said mum is....to be told she's not with me today....but she is wheelchair bound. This is defeating the whole idea of disabled passes. In uk when this happens a fine is imposed . Over here ....nothing. it's just not right.

Out of curiosity, how many numerous times? And were there numerous different people?

Man unloading band year in limerick was probably the worst. Police were involved. The guitarist was using his mothers pass. Aldi in galway. Man using his wife's pass. She was at home in bed. Clare galway shopping centre outside chemist. Man collecting prescription for his wife . She was not with him. Plus numerous other times outside square shopping centre in tallaght. Security men were disgusted but said they couldn't do anything.

Man unloading band year in limerick was probably the worst. Police were involved. The guitarist was using his mothers pass. Aldi in galway. Man using his wife's pass. She was at home in bed. Clare galway shopping centre outside chemist. Man collecting prescription for his wife . She was not with him. Plus numerous other times outside square shopping centre in tallaght. Security men were disgusted but said they couldn't do anything.

That is pretty shocking. At least the gardaí were involved in Limerick.

But there's a lot of mé-féin attitude among Irish drivers generally - today I passed a 7am-to-7pm cycle lane in Coolock; looking down from the bus I could see two vans parked and unloading on it, two cars parked, and one car broken down and juicing up from a handheld battery. Really dangerous on that corner, as it pushes the cyclists out into the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

worst one ive seen recently,aldi in roscommon,there is a row of them directly outside it, woman parks length ways across 3 spaces,finishes her fag,up goes the window..out she gets and into aldi she goes .. 161 car .. hundreds of available spaces ..

did not give a fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Something that makes my blood boil are holders of disabled passes who seem to have no problem lending same to relations and friends. Numerous times I have confronted said people and been told 'well yeah it's my mum's pass etc ' . When enquiring where said mum is....to be told she's not with me today....but she is wheelchair bound. This is defeating the whole idea of disabled passes. In uk when this happens a fine is imposed . Over here ....nothing. it's just not right.
    if a blue badge is found to be used in abuse, it can be confiscated.And rightly so. My MIL has often tried to "borrow" mine in the past,over my dead body. I need it, she doesn't.

"The Parking Permit must only be used by the person to whom it is issued. The vehicle on which it is displayed must be parked to facilitate access by the holder, whose name and photograph are displayed on the card. Any abuse / misuse will result in its immediate withdrawal. The above illegal parking penalties will also apply. In addition, those found guilty of fraud in relation to a parking permit (e.g. false declaration at the time of application, forgery of permits, the lending of a permit to another person) are liable on conviction to a maximum fine of €3,000 or a maximum term of 6 months imprisonment."
    http://ddai.ie/parking-permit/penalties-for-misuse

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We have one at our school and it causes more problems than its worth one family in particular have actually claimed ownership over the one official wheelchair space we have.
    If anyone parks even another blue badge in the spot they demand the other person moves and even bring school staff into it ,
    Yet the person driving rarely have a disabled passager with them

if a blue badge is found to be used in abuse, it can be confiscated.And rightly so. My MIL has often tried to "borrow" mine in the past,over my dead body. I need it, she doesn't.

"The Parking Permit must only be used by the person to whom it is issued. The vehicle on which it is displayed must be parked to facilitate access by the holder, whose name and photograph are displayed on the card. Any abuse / misuse will result in its immediate withdrawal. The above illegal parking penalties will also apply. In addition, those found guilty of fraud in relation to a parking permit (e.g. false declaration at the time of application, forgery of permits, the lending of a permit to another person) are liable on conviction to a maximum fine of 3,000 or a maximum term of 6 months imprisonment."
    http://ddai.ie/parking-permit/penalties-for-misuse
    And seriously how many people do you know that this has happened to. The woman in limerick who let her able bodied son unload his bang gear from it just got a warning.

Talk to Joe…

Chuchote wrote: »
    Talk to Joe
    Was on classic hits 4fm twice about it. David Harvey show and niall boylan show. It got an amazing response. Don't think jo duffy would cover it . Not popular enough topic for him.

worst one ive seen recently,aldi in roscommon,there is a row of them directly outside it, woman parks length ways across 3 spaces,finishes her fag,up goes the window..out she gets and into aldi she goes .. 161 car .. hundreds of available spaces ..

did not give a fcuk.
    Take a photo of her and her lovely new car and take it to the gardai. It woke fir me in limerick.

Was on classic hits 4fm twice about it. David Harvey show and niall boylan show. It got an amazing response. Don't think jo duffy would cover it . Not popular enough topic for him.

Of course he would! He loves things that outrage people and this would!

Chuchote wrote: »

Of course he would! He loves things that outrage people and this would!
    Well it certainly outrages genuinely disabled people and their carers. Waiting around in the bad weather while mammy who is at home nice and warm gives her son or daughter or husband her card so they won't get wet. And find a great parking space near the entrance of shopping centre. Disgraceful.

did not give a fcuk.
    Take a photo of her and her lovely new car and take it to the gardai. It woke fir me in limerick.
    Nothing illegal about it in a private car park unfortunately.

did not give a fcuk.
    Is she parking her lovely new 16 car in a disabled parking space. ?. If so the gardai will act on it if you have photographic evidence.

• Advertisement

did not give a fcuk.
    Is she parking her lovely new 16 car in a disabled parking space. ?. If so the gardai will act on it if you have photographic evidence.
    As much as I'd like to believe that I don't know under what authority they could act. Again talking about a privately owned car park here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

did not give a fcuk.

Was it this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

shot2go wrote: »
    My son is a wheelchair user and we have a disabled badge, last year we had nothing but problems at his sisters school.
    The only 2 disabled spots in the car-park was constantly taken by mothers having a great chat big gang of them around the cars - very intimidating to be honest.
    I approached the school and explained to them that to get my daughter from school and to have enough room to get my son in and out of his wheelchair i needed these spots and could they please send a text to the parents, the school refused because the car-park is owned by the church.
    School started back yesterday and same women as usual parked in them. I dont want to have to confront them myself especially with my son listening.
    Does anyone know what i could do next

I hope that you have found a resolution by now but if you haven't then I would go back to the school. If there's a newsletter that might be a better option than a text. Ask them to write something to the parents telling them to think about the example that they're setting for their kids while mentioning that the disabled spots are required on a daily basis. They may have no actual authority but they sure should have some moral authority. Regardless of the effectiveness of it they should be supporting you and at least making an effort to help. Just washing their of it as you describe simply isn't good enough. In and of itself it's a bad example to set their own pupils.

did not give a fcuk.
    As much as I'd like to believe that I don't know under what authority they could act. Again talking about a privately owned car park here.
    But is the blue disabled symbol or yellow one painted on the ground. In the parking space where her car is ?. If so I swear the gardai will do something.

Is this school in dublin. If so I have no problem going out there and saying something to these ignorant people. My blood is boiling . Because a child is been denied their access to a designated parking space. This is beyond a joke. If it's in galway I know someone else who will go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe ask the teacher to 'raise' awareness in the kids classes.

I remember in 3rd class we were told to point at people who dropped litter around our town and shout 'shame on you litterbug'... and boy did we take that job on. Worked too.

So maybe.... get the offenders kid to teach the mother!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And seriously how many people do you know that this has happened to. The woman in limerick who let her able bodied son unload his bang gear from it just got a warning.
    If it is reported to the DDA or the gardaí, take it from me, things can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Brandon Purple Recorder

I've a badge for my mother. We parked in Obama plaza in moneygall with another badge holder beside us.
    There was a hatched area in between.
    We both came out to find someone without a badge parked between us.
    I couldn't get into my driver's seat and my neighbour had to reverse out to get his disabled passenger into the car.
    The Muppet was nowhere to be seen.

I've a badge for my mother. We parked in Obama plaza in moneygall with another badge holder beside us.
    There was a hatched area in between.
    We both came out to find someone without a badge parked between us.
    I couldn't get into my driver's seat and my neighbour had to reverse out to get his disabled passenger into the car.
    The Muppet was nowhere to be seen.
    You should have taken a photo of the numberplate and also how it had no badge displayed and taken it to the police. Once they have the plate no they can trace the selfish offender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Teach the kids about responsibilities, our local MS group do school visits where we explain things like the importance of wheel chair parking spaces, after our talks I don't think the kids would let their parents abuse the spaces

Advertisement