Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disabled parking spots at school problem

• 02-09-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

My son is a wheelchair user and we have a disabled badge, last year we had nothing but problems at his sisters school.
    The only 2 disabled spots in the car-park was constantly taken by mothers having a great chat big gang of them around the cars - very intimidating to be honest.
    I approached the school and explained to them that to get my daughter from school and to have enough room to get my son in and out of his wheelchair i needed these spots and could they please send a text to the parents, the school refused because the car-park is owned by the church.
    School started back yesterday and same women as usual parked in them. I dont want to have to confront them myself especially with my son listening.
    Does anyone know what i could do next

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the first move will have to be to speak to the people parked in the wheelchair spots. It does not have to be confrontation, pull up alongside, and go and smile and say politely, are you ready to move on as I need the wheelchair space to be able to get my son out of the car. If there is an issue after that you may have to move on to plan B, but I think (i am not sure) that if it is a private car park you may have to depend on courtesy and neighbourliness - at least give it a try. Don't lose your temper, don't get into a row, you are on the moral high ground, approach them pleasantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can you ask for a disabled spot to be placed directly outside the school instead, and explain in your request that the existing disabled spot is regularly blocked by non-disabled people? You apply to the Irish Wheelchair Association http://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

The school at the moment has very little parking of its own, they have a small teachers car park and thats it. They are starting a new school so the parking will be better but not for another year. The car park we use is huge there is loads of space so its not a case of the disabled spots being the only ones left its just pure laziness.

I would prefer not to have to say anything to them myself i am a quiet person but i will i just cant put up with it this year again.
    Its not just for me its just so wrong to take a spot your not entitled to, id do anything not to have to need this spot but unfortunately we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Pull up behind them or alongside and beep,give them a friendly wave and say you need to use the spot.

Ask them then not to park there again as you need the space every morning.

Its a pity they are so dim but they probably dont even realise you need the spot.

i wish it was a case of them not realising but nope i did get a spot one day when i was about 30 mins early for pick up and i got a oh you got the handy spot comment from one of them while i was putting my son into the wheelchair !! I just said yes we really need these spots for the wheelchair hoping they would pick up on it.

i would love to just park in front of them blocking them in and go off into the school for a while killing time but id be blocking the whole carpark!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm just an immigrant and I've been driving in Ireland for only two years now, but where I come from (America) you are in big trouble if you park in a disabled space without a permit. Isn't it illegal here to park in a designated disabled spot without a permit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Just drive up point at disabled sticker and beep horn.
    If that's doesn't work actually give them a telling off.
    These spaces are there for a reason.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm just an immigrant and I've been driving in Ireland for only two years now, but where I come from (America) you are in big trouble if you park in a disabled space without a permit. Isn't it illegal here to park in a designated disabled spot without a permit?

Yes but it is only enforced by police in public spaces. Not in a private car park.
    Worst they can do is clamp your car or ask you to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

shot2go wrote: »
    i wish it was a case of them not realising but nope i did get a spot one day when i was about 30 mins early for pick up and i got a oh you got the handy spot comment from one of them while i was putting my son into the wheelchair !! I just said yes we really need these spots for the wheelchair hoping they would pick up on it.

i would love to just park in front of them blocking them in and go off into the school for a while killing time but id be blocking the whole carpark!!!

DO IIIIITTTTTT
    But be cool and non-confrontational about it.

Blood boiling just reading that.

Honestly, there are times when you have to stand your ground or you'll be just rolled over by these kinds of people. It's just sheer dismissive arrogance and antisocial behaviour to ignore those signs. Those spaces are important for people who need to use them.

Just say "Hi! Do you realise you are parked in an accessible space reserved for people with wheel chair badges. I have to park here to get my child's wheelchair out of the car! Could you please park somewhere else!"

Don't be confrontational just firm and stand your ground - think more like a teacher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ask the priest could they be repainted as people don't seem to see them very well. Hint hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

My son is a wheelchair user and we have a disabled badge, last year we had nothing but problems at his sisters school.
    The only 2 disabled spots in the car-park was constantly taken by mothers having a great chat big gang of them around the cars - very intimidating to be honest.
    I approached the school and explained to them that to get my daughter from school and to have enough room to get my son in and out of his wheelchair i needed these spots and could they please send a text to the parents, the school refused because the car-park is owned by the church.
    School started back yesterday and same women as usual parked in them. I dont want to have to confront them myself especially with my son listening.
    Does anyone know what i could do next

If you are any way religious (!)... talk to whoever runs/maintains the church.

Would I be right in saying that the school:
    1. Has an arrangement with the church about using the carpark for the school.
    2. uses the church in ceremonies.
    3. Has a person from the same church in it's board of management?

See if you can find this out...If so then they are washing their hands of the situation by pretending that the church is not part of the school.

ive tried contacting the priest but ive got no where so far, wouldn't mind he was around 2 weeks ago calling to all the houses looking for donations and i completely forgot about it.
    Yes the school would have some sort of arrangement with him, we wouldn't be very religious but i know from my children he does be in and out of the school.

I am going to make sure i call into his house Monday and tell him whats going on. The school more than likely never told them there was an issue at all.

if i get no where with him i will say something to them, if that fails i will block them in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just block them in.

I was told by a friend of similar situation in dunnes stores. Disabled space taken by someone without a badge.

So he had no choice but to park directly behind them, pinned them in and went shopping with his sister.

On return, the space taker person who was blocked in had created a fuss, and even had the gardai present. Why, haven't a clue.

Not a single word passed that persons lips as he returned to his car pushing his severely disabled sister in her wheelchair and lugging his shopping. Calmly put her in and drove away. Lesson learned and I bet they never did it again. He didn't do it in spite but in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I swear, if I didn't have to work and had the money to do it, I would go around with a tow truck just dragging cars off disabled parking spaces that didn't have a permit and leave them at the furthest end of the car park. Oh the joy I would have doing it. :pac:

Thats excatly it Damien360 its not about spite its about need.

a wheelchair is wider than a buggy and you do need space to transfer from the chair to car seat properly. ive hurt my back more times having to lift him out and carry him over to the car because someone has parked too close to his side in a normal parking spot and now at the moment his legs are in casts so that is just not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There is a total disregard to disabled parking spaces in Ireland.

Penalties should be material... like €200 without displaying a valid permit.

The arrogance of some people is incredible. Typically (but not limited to) Jeep/BMW/Audi/Mercedes drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

i got a oh you got the handy spot comment from one of them while i was putting my son into the wheelchair !!

TBH, that comment says a lot. It also suggests a level of ignorance that doesn't grasp polite, subtle comments hoping they take the hint. You should have spelt it out to them that it's a disabled parking bay, not a "handy spot".

In any case, if you feel you are being given the bums rush by the church & school, contact the Irish Wheelchair Association about it and they should be able to apply some pressure. No diocese (or business for that matter) wants perceivedly bad publicity about how they discriminate against disabled folk, or in the church's case how 'charitable and caring' they suddenly are not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I would prefer not to have to say anything to them myself i am a quiet person but i will i just cant put up with it this year again.
    Get some help. Get your most ballsy relative or friend to come with you for a few mornings, and set him or her loose on them. See if you can get up early a few mornings too to get the space before they get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I am disgusted at this thread. Please please confront these women. It must be that they dont realise cause there is no way people could be this horrible. Just take a deep breath and as other posters said give a little beep and call out the window you need the wheelchair spot. No doubt they will be.mortified when they realise. There is a spot like that outside our school and it is never parked in except by the proper users no matter how busy the road is.

If you cant do it for yourself (so to speak) do it for your child!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Get some help. Get your most ballsy relative or friend to come with you for a few mornings, and set him or her loose on them. See if you can get up early a few mornings too to get the space before they get there.

I think having some support would go a long way, but I'd tread carefully about being too confrontational initially.
    Contact the parish council, possibly a better start than the priest, and make it their responsibility to make the change.
    Contact the likes of Enable Ireland, make it their job to contact the Parish if nothing changes for you.
    The parish and the priest really should give direction to the users of the car park, and indicate, with signage, that the spots are for registered disabled vehicles only and attach a fine, if needed, due to inappropriate use.

I would say it to the people blocking the spot, and be confident in your statements, you are in the absolute right here, nothing to be concerned about.
    Quite the contrary, they can abuse the area with impunity only as long as no one says or does anything.
    And you can change that narrative by addressing it and making them responsible for change.
    No change from them = consequences and shaming, and the priest/parish council have to take that on.

All very well saying "confront these selfish people", but the person's kid goes to school here.
    But the idea of bringing someone else to ask them what the hell they think they're doing is a good idea. And definitely get on to the Irish Wheelchair Association.
    According to the government website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_facilities_for_people_with_disabilities.html#l1f4da
    Private car parks will generally have parking spaces available for people with disabilities, as will car parks for shopping centres, supermarkets, universities, hotels and hospitals. To use these spaces, you will need the European Parking Card. If there are time limits imposed in these car parks, they may not apply to people with disabilities. The conditions of parking should be clearly stated on signs.

It's not clear from that site whether cars can be clamped and their owners fined if they park in a disabled space in a private car park; it would be worth checking this out with the Irish Wheelchair Association. If it turns out that they can, maybe give a quiet call to the clampers; they'd be delighted with this shooting-fish-in-a-barrel easy fine. I'm told that the workers get a fee if they catch an illegal parker, though this may be an urban legend…

On the public carparks people with a disabled badge do not have to pay a parking fee - the performance of getting to and from the machine would defeat a lot of the object - and able bodied people seem to be under the impression if they park in a wheelchair space they can also park free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's not clear from that site whether cars can be clamped and their owners fined if they park in a disabled space in a private car park; it would be worth checking this out with the Irish Wheelchair Association. If it turns out that they can, maybe give a quiet call to the clampers; they'd be delighted with this shooting-fish-in-a-barrel easy fine. I'm told that the workers get a fee if they catch an illegal parker, though this may be an urban legend…

Clamping contracts are generally not based on 'commission' - so the clampers who have the contract for Dublin City Council for example are on a fixed fee, regardless of how many or how few they clamp. I don't think they would clamp on private property, like a church or school car park.

The owner of the property can employ a clamper, though there is some doubt of the legal position of those clampers on private property.

I'd say the OP's first port of call should be the Irish Wheelchair Association. Hopefully they'll contact the school authorities and the priest, and if necessary the bishop; if the worst comes to the worst they can institute a wheelchair protest at the parking spot to shame the parents into behaving like mannerly and decent people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Chuchote wrote: »
    I'd say the OP's first port of call should be the Irish Wheelchair Association. Hopefully they'll contact the school authorities and the priest, and if necessary the bishop; if the worst comes to the worst they can institute a wheelchair protest at the parking spot to shame the parents into behaving like mannerly and decent people.
    Believe you me, these people know no shame. I have a blue badge and have experienced much of this kind of hassle. The school and church are pretty powerless to act.

I'd go for the double parking thing, I've done it once or twice on serial offenders. A cheery "I'm sure you are only going to be a minute, me too" as you disappear usually gets these rotten wagons/gits moving pretty damn fast.

Believe you me, these people know no shame. I have a blue badge and have experienced much of this kind of hassle. The school and church are pretty powerless to act.

I'd go for the double parking thing, I've done it once or twice on serial offenders. A cheery "I'm sure you are only going to be a minute, me too" as you disappear usually gets these rotten wagons/gits moving pretty damn fast.

Dunno… if they found themselves in the paper and people giving them dirty looks they might rediscover their shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Probably sorted by now but it seems like even rolling down the window and saying "excuse me, would you mind moving as my son needs this spot" hadn't even been attempted. No beeping, confrontation, passive aggressive parking, or going to national organisations needed until at least that fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ask them politely, and if this fails, threaten them by telling them you'll go on the Joe Duffy Show about it.

This, and the constant misuse of accessible toilets makes my blood boil.

They won't understand(sadly), until it visits their doorstep

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Probably sorted by now but it seems like even rolling down the window and saying "excuse me, would you mind moving as my son needs this spot" hadn't even been attempted. No beeping, confrontation, passive aggressive parking, or going to national organisations needed until at least that fails.

I think if you read the thread you will see that this has in fact been tried.

Advertisement