Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Facepalm* Why does it never run smoothly!

Options
  • 06-10-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

SO, last year I applied to RCSI, UCD,Trinity and UCC for 2012 entry as a mature student.
    Was unsuccessful - (as far as I know because of a crappy HPAT and my lack of Science at A Level)

I have a 2:2 degree in English Literature but thats not enough for Grad Med.

This year I thought Id be all prepared sit the UKCAT, HPAT and GAMSAT and apply to the relevant schools.

The UKCAT deadline was yesterday (you can only sit it once a year) - so thats three of my UK Uni's out the window :( I do this alll the time - I always forget how early the application starts for next year!!

ARGH.

Although, Im sitting an Extended Diploma in Health Sciences this year - Hope to finish with all Distinctions (AA) and that will fill my Science entry requirements for the Irish schools! So I guess I'll just get stuck into HPAT revision..
    The GAMSAT is in March too - I'll sit that (maybe - it looks AWFUL Scary:eek:) and apply for the two 4year graduate UK courses I'm eligible for with a 2:2.

Anyone have any other tips? I have loads of experience (hospital shadowing/St Johns Ambulance/ Care home work)

I feel like the tide is always against me! I dont have a great academic record and this practically makes me a leper in the UK admission's eyes. (although Id much rather go to an Irish Med school) still feel so disadvantaged against all the 700000 point LC kids!

I fancy the idea of Limerick (shock horror) and the PLB learning system - but they dont take Matures do they? And for all the 'you cant revise for the HPAT' talk, alot of people are spending 100's of Euro on courses - Do they work or what? Not that I could afford to travel to Dublin and stay down AND fork out the cash for the course anyway, but still. Am i at a disadvantage again by not going to one?
    Any one have any tips/words of encouragement?:(

Getting fed up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hi FairytaleGirl I've taken an interest in this forum as I'm considering applying to medicine in the next year or so. First of all I wouldn't be too harsh on myself for missing dates as from your post you've got UKCAT, GAMSAT, HPAT deadlines along with CAO and UCAS deadlines to worry about, and on top of that you're trying to do well in your course! Phew!

If I could offer you advice it would be to prioritize your choices and start eliminating those you don't want / have to do, it'lll stengthen your efforts for those that are most important for you, like the HPAT.

I'm planning on sitting biology and chemistry in the LC in hopes that it will support my application for mature entry, and that's all I'm focusing on for now.

I know applying to schools in both the UK and Ireland is increasing your chances of getting in somewhere but you're probably stretching yourself a bit. Why sit the GAMSAT when you don't need it?

And bear in mind that the LC ( although the 700000 points kids have rightly earned their place) is only a two year programme of full time study (level 6 i think?) and there are other ways of proving you're eligible for medicine, as you are doing now so focus on that and don't compare yourself to other people.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the PLB learning system? :)

Anyway, I've read some of your posts on this forum and what I'll say is keep trying!! You really seem like you want it so don't give up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

PBL - Problem based learning!!

A pbl group has about 8 people and a facilitator and in 1st and 2nd year there are two 2 hour sessions a week (I think!). In the first half of the session you are given a scenario and as a group you discuss the key points and basically decide what you don't know and need to go away and learn. The group formulates objectives to go away and study and the facilitator is there to make sure you cover the right things. In the next session you then feedback what you found out and get the next scenario and the whole process starts again. In between pbl sessions you have labs and lectures (or as the med school likes to call them: FRSs and plenaries) that are supposed to supplement the pbl.

Yeah I think I am gonna concentrate on Irish schools exclusively again this year. I was sitting the GAMSAT to apply in the UK as a grad ( 4year).

Have you done the HPAT before? Do you reckon the courses are a big help?

Not giving up yet! Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Hi
    I'm in exactly the same position. Loads of experience but when I went to register for the ukcat all the dates were gone!!! I have no knowledge of the hpat but did the gamsat, did well enough to get a place in UCD then got a 2.2 in my degree. So this year my focus is going on volunteering as much and as varied as possible, repeat LC chem and bio, and bust my b0l0x for the hpat. So chin up, I'm sure there's a couple of us knocking about. Although having said that I have no clue how exactly to go about repeating....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Although having said that I have no clue how exactly to go about repeating....

You need to apply as an external student. You can do it online from mid December until the end of January.
    See: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

PBL - Problem based learning!!

A pbl group has about 8 people and a facilitator and in 1st and 2nd year there are two 2 hour sessions a week (I think!). In the first half of the session you are given a scenario and as a group you discuss the key points and basically decide what you don't know and need to go away and learn. The group formulates objectives to go away and study and the facilitator is there to make sure you cover the right things. In the next session you then feedback what you found out and get the next scenario and the whole process starts again. In between pbl sessions you have labs and lectures (or as the med school likes to call them: FRSs and plenaries) that are supposed to supplement the pbl.

Yeah I think I am gonna concentrate on Irish schools exclusively again this year. I was sitting the GAMSAT to apply in the UK as a grad ( 4year).

Have you done the HPAT before? Do you reckon the courses are a big help?

Not giving up yet! Thanks for your reply :)

Ah! Thanks for that!:) Sorry I forgot about those UK schools that only ask for a 2.2. I've never done the HPAT so I couldn't comment on any correlation between paying for courses and actual results but I'd love to see hard evidence.

I suppose if you've never done a course though then try one and see does it help your HPAT preparation, the only real way you'll know is when you get the results!

My opinion is that it depends on how you learn. People may give credit to the courses when they do well in HPAT as it probably helped them to focus better than if they were just practicing it at home. I tend to learn better by myself so maybe I'd be more suited to practicing the HPAT by myself.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone going for it I'll be on this forum sharing any info ( and problems) i have over the next while!

• Advertisement

Thanks Spurious!
    A bit of a stupid question but do you just contact local schools to ask about sitting the LC there?

Pingo, quick question for you, are you doing classes for Chem and Bio, or just doing it yourself? If doing it yourself, how are you tackling the lab reports? The thoughts of just winging it and not writing them up and then being asked to submit them for review is a concern.....

Nope, just downloading the syllabus and getting all the material I can for each subject. There's a great website you should check out if you haven't discovered it yet, I've watched a good few of the videos so far and I have to say I've learned alot. Here's the link for the chemistry videos, but there is a biology section:

http://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry

Woah that is a concern alright, but I'm planning on going through the labs anyway, writing them up as if I was doing them and looking for demonstrations online or something. Getting the actual results doesn't matter that much I don't think as long as you understand the results you expect theoretically, the results you may get and why there's a difference etc...

Being asked to submit them for review though, does it happen?

Ah good aul khan academy, that got me through the gamsat. Yea apparently they can ask for your lab books, I think it's just to prove you've actually done them? My little brothers class was chosen to be checked last year...
    I'm pretty ok for chem and bio, just need a little refresher ;-) Now I just have to find a school! Doing the LC with aload of teenagers, dreading walking in being 'the aul waaaaannnn' at 25!

Ah good aul khan academy, that got me through the gamsat. Yea apparently they can ask for your lab books, I think it's just to prove you've actually done them? My little brothers class was chosen to be checked last year...
    I'm pretty ok for chem and bio, just need a little refresher ;-) Now I just have to find a school! Doing the LC with aload of teenagers, dreading walking in being 'the aul waaaaannnn' at 25!

Ah, one of the hoops some of us mature med hopefuls have to jump through! :)
    I wouldnt worry about being an ould wan (at 25?!), half of them probably wont see you or else they'll be too preoccupied in getting through the exam!

I'm gonna start studying in November. Atleast college has taught me to study! My little brothers call me old all the time so I look forward to the day I notice a grey hair or our family's trademark male baldness!!!
    I'm going to have to email a couple of schools and see what the story is on sitting the LC there. It's times like this that I wish I could ask my mam, but I'm not telling a soul that I'm planning to apply. I'm a total realist and not expecting miracles my first time applying! Sounds a bit defeatist but with shag all direct med experience I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. I don't want to have to deal with 'how'd you do?' And the pity on their faces if and when I don't get accepted. :-(

How many times has everyone applied already?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks Spurious!
    A bit of a stupid question but do you just contact local schools to ask about sitting the LC there?

You can ring schools yourself or if you like, the SEC can suggest you a centre.

It's generally not a problem for schools having externals, unless because of their location they get rather a lot, then they might steer you elsewhere.

I'm gonna start studying in November. Atleast college has taught me to study! My little brothers call me old all the time so I look forward to the day I notice a grey hair or our family's trademark male baldness!!!
    I'm going to have to email a couple of schools and see what the story is on sitting the LC there. It's times like this that I wish I could ask my mam, but I'm not telling a soul that I'm planning to apply. I'm a total realist and not expecting miracles my first time applying! Sounds a bit defeatist but with shag all direct med experience I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. I don't want to have to deal with 'how'd you do?' And the pity on their faces if and when I don't get accepted. :-(

How many times has everyone applied already?

I'm exactly the same. If I'm good enough to get to the interviews it'll be much less pressure if my family and friends don't know I'm applying.There's also the financial side of things with me, I'm saving like there's no tomorrow but I don't want to tell my family because I don't want them to feel like they have to help me out and if they don't my dreams will be crushed etc. It's just how I deal with things of this nature. Nah I don't think you sound defeatist at all, I think you have just the right attitude because if unfortunately you don't get in you'll still be motivated to apply the next year and it won't deter you.

Plus I don't want to see the look on their faces when I tell them I'll be going back to college for the next five or six years unless I actually get in!

Yea the financial side is a bit of a worry. I'm pretty sure I'll have 2 years fees by next September but I don't want to be indebted to family!!!

I would love to see the look on their faces if I got in!!!! It would be soooooo cool to be able to tell my mam ' oh by the way, did I mention I got into x med school?' I'm pretty sure she'd start crying hysterically :-) Scratch that, if I get in I'D start crying hysterically! Just need to rock the hpat and get an interview now.... simple.....:O

On the financial side of things assuming you managed to get a place do you plan on living out of home (with friends, etc) and would a part time job even be possible?

I could have a good three years fees (hopefully) saved by next September and then have something worked out by year 3 but supporting yourself through the course is another mountain to climb as well :(

Advertisement