Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carers Allowance

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

aileach wrote: »
    I have asked for my case to be reviewed, still can't quite believe that I've been refused in the first place :([/Quote

Its an awful feeling Aileach i felt physically sick for weeks when i was refused i didnt know were to go or what to do about it! Others on here were great encouragement i think i would have just given up only for them ! When i sent off for review i swore i would not ring and just wait n see but of course im ring them every week !!!!! I will go down the appeals road if i have to... Try keep positive ( very hard i know) and hopefully you and i will
    get what we are emtitled to 

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Hi Aileach and Linda Dub

Just wanted to wish you both the best and I am glad to see that you are continuing your fight for this. Don't give up because I know you will both get there in the end. There is no harm to be ringing to find out how your claim is going and if you have anything at all that you feel may be relevant just post it in to them. You could even e-mail it for the attention of whoever is looking after your reviews. Also ask if you can get acknowledgement of receipt of anything you send.

Keep it up. Not easy I know but just hang in there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

I didn't get an acknowledgement of my review request - should I ring in to request that? Have you heard anything since Linda?

I didn't get an acknowledgement of my review request - should I ring in to request that? Have you heard anything since Linda?

Neither did i aileach but then again never got one for first time i applied! 9 weeks since i sent mine in every time i ring i talk to different person and tell me something different ! Sooo fed up at this stage . Tried ring again today but couldnt get through at all ... Its a joke now but nobodys laughing 

Hi Linda, have you heard anything since??

• Advertisement

Hi Linda, have you heard anything since??

Nothing aileach ring every week but still with doctors they say ... They recieved all
    The additioal info doc letters hosp reports on 30 may n still nothing 3 months later:(( how bout you did you send off any additional info when you requested reveiw? Have you had any news back at all? Sooo frustrating altogether :(((

I sent in a letter from the GP and a letter from myself, am going to try to get an apt with the local TD this week - I haven't phoned yet but I might this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

I'm waiting since Nov 1st 2011!!! They say they are dealing with OCT 2011'S Applications now.
    My apparent hold up is caused by lack of doctors to look at medical evidence!
    The deciding officer has passed me but the medical evidence is sitting on a desk...!!
    No way to speed up the process, no other "in-between" money available. You just have to wait on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Well after I thought I was all set, they messed up totally on the backdated payment - it was miscalculated so I am once again jumping through hoops to get it sorted . So for anyone who gets approved - check the paperwork and the figures carefully ...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

I will check their calculations.
    I was awarded OPF last year after waiting 10 months on that.
    They miscalculated/ mis-read my file.
    Months later they wrote out to me saying my back money was overpaid by over €900 so they now take €5 per week off my payment while i wait 11 months on another payment.

Its a joke innit?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

waiting over a year now and living on fresh air!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

waiting over a year now and living on fresh air!!

So unfair. Anyone with DCA know if CA application is processed any quicker, or is there a backlog across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 henry63

My wife has been in receipt of carers allowance for about three and a half years.We have a daughter with Down's Syndrome. About 8 weeks ago she got a letter stating that her CA was been "terminated" and to return her bus pass in the envelope provided. Their reason for the "termination" is for medical reasons, that she "is not so invalided or disabled enough" to warrant full time care. Needless to say we are devastated. She has applied for a review but we don't know where we stand. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishfalls

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about how long it takes for the inspector to call out.. i have applied for CA about 9 mts ago and still waiting, when i rang the other day they told me i would have to wait for an inspector to call out and see me,( seemly he has my file now for the last 2 weeks) i also got a social service card in the post last week which i thought meant i was getting my payment but no such thing. any idea on the time lenght it takes for him to call...so hard financially to stay going..

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Hi Folks, finding it hard to find a thread about carers waiting times that isn't closed!!! My story is I am on carers benefit but it is due to end next month. I sent in my application in for CA in January. I was just wondering if its normal to expect 10-12 months of waiting times when you are applying for CA while you are on CB. I phoned the CA office yesterday and they told me that my application was with the medical examiner. Is there anyone else on this thread applying for CA while on CB????

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jacqui c

hi all i was refused c/a last month sent in for a review but got a letter this morning from the appeals office so does that means my review was not granted ? also how long roughly does an appeal take ? my mothers doctor wrote a great letter stating all of her problems and i contacted joan burtons office to ask for help which was replied to in two day saying they would look into it. other than that i dont think there is anything i can do except wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shalamar

Hi all,

Its great to find a thread on waiting times. I didnt realise it would be so long! My husband is disabled (broke his leg 3 years ago several surgeries etc) we got approved for disability in November and I applied for Carers in December. I rang a few times and I was told 8 weeks more to wait so that was like the end of march. So I rang again in March and I was told it was with the deciding officer and I would hear in two weeks. Two weeks were up and I rang again to be told that a letter I sent in in February from an occupational therapist (out about the house being unsuitable), in it she just explains what I do for my husband so I thought it would help. But now I'm being told this letter will hold up my application for 2-3 months now as the medical examiner is backed up. I'm so frustrated, I find that when I call them I almost hear a different story every time I call. One person said it was with the deciding officer, the next person says 2-3 months wait! I know my wait is small in comparison to a lot of people but were stressing it out now. Anybody else have this happen? I feel like telling them ignore the letter so we can have an answer but I do think it might help just frustrated that it will take so long :(

Shalamar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Its great to find a thread on waiting times. I didnt realise it would be so long! My husband is disabled (broke his leg 3 years ago several surgeries etc) we got approved for disability in November and I applied for Carers in December. I rang a few times and I was told 8 weeks more to wait so that was like the end of march. So I rang again in March and I was told it was with the deciding officer and I would hear in two weeks. Two weeks were up and I rang again to be told that a letter I sent in in February from an occupational therapist (out about the house being unsuitable), in it she just explains what I do for my husband so I thought it would help. But now I'm being told this letter will hold up my application for 2-3 months now as the medical examiner is backed up. I'm so frustrated, I find that when I call them I almost hear a different story every time I call. One person said it was with the deciding officer, the next person says 2-3 months wait! I know my wait is small in comparison to a lot of people but were stressing it out now. Anybody else have this happen? I feel like telling them ignore the letter so we can have an answer but I do think it might help just frustrated that it will take so long :(

Its so frustrating when you are waiting for CA. Its like sometimes you are begging for money and telling lies. Caring for someone isn't always easy. I'm in the system as I was on carers benefit but it still takes ages. The only thing is they are using a new system that is supposed to put claims through quicker. But as you can see from this thread that a lot of people are months and months waiting. I got a letter from the CA section asking for more information, up to date stuff. I hope this means my claim is moving!! You can go to the community welfare officer for a supplementary payment if you're stuck, you might be entitled to that depending on your circumstances

Hi Nelly, any update with your claim? I've been ringing shamelessly the past few weeks and I finally caved and went to a local TD's clinic office 2 weeks ago where he told me he'd make a few calls about my case. Rang today then and was told its finally with the medical examiner but its a private doc they send it to so no telling how long it'll take from there and as soon as they would know they would contact me on the phone... at least I think he said phone lol Does everyone get a welfare visit? I was hoping it would be a simple matter of if its approved then I get a scheduled payment, now I'm wondering if I'll get an inspector out to visit or if its different seeing as my husband got approved for disability and that's who I'm claiming for. And as for CWO's, they closed all the local clinics in my area and I think I could be waiting forever to go visit them! Such a nightmare. I suppose I should just be happy its moving a bit forward! Baby steps! :)

Shalamar wrote: »
    Hi Nelly, any update with your claim? I've been ringing shamelessly the past few weeks and I finally caved and went to a local TD's clinic office 2 weeks ago where he told me he'd make a few calls about my case. Rang today then and was told its finally with the medical examiner but its a private doc they send it to so no telling how long it'll take from there and as soon as they would know they would contact me on the phone... at least I think he said phone lol Does everyone get a welfare visit? I was hoping it would be a simple matter of if its approved then I get a scheduled payment, now I'm wondering if I'll get an inspector out to visit or if its different seeing as my husband got approved for disability and that's who I'm claiming for. And as for CWO's, they closed all the local clinics in my area and I think I could be waiting forever to go visit them! Such a nightmare. I suppose I should just be happy its moving a bit forward! Baby steps! :)

Hi Shalamar, I've been ringing every week myself and a lot of the time I get different information. I think my claim went in a month after yours, mine went in January. They looked for updated information a few weeks ago and I was told that once that was received they would look into it. That obviously didn't happen. Last week they told me I should hear something by the middle of May so I just chanced my arm ringing today, they told me today that the claim is just with the medical examiner this week and is in the queue (the told me 3 months ago, 2 months ago, last week etc..... that my claim was with the medical examiner!) Today I said nothing as I don't want to piss anyone off!!! Its obviously in a queue and they just want to give you some sort of information. I'll ring again next week.

With regards to the inspectors visit, I asked about that in one of my calls and they told me that the inspector doesn't call out for all claims, maybe ones that need to be questioned eg self employment, caring for someone you don't live with etc so a lot of means tests are done in house.

I hope you hear some good news soon and its very difficult to wait for a decision knowing that you re doing all you are meant to do (caring for someone and supplying all information etc) and still to hear nothing! Best of luck!!

• Advertisement

Hi Nelly! Thanks for your reply, been sick all week and didnt get round to replying! It is a nightmare of a wait and I feel bad because I know a lot of people on the boards waited for well over a year and I'm moaning about a few months lol I was sat here for ages this morning debating whether or not to call incase I piss someone off too lol, I always get different information from different people. Like today, I rang again and the guy said that its been with the doctor a while now so I should hear something soon, when I asked would it be a month waiting, he replied 'oohh yeah definitely' which is confusing because it was only last week I was told it was gone down to the doc lol I think I'll leave it til the end of the month and ring again.

We did apply around the same time, I think the difference is though I sent in an OTs letter in Feb to aid the application (before any decision had been made) and that held it up because it had to que to the medical officer which was so annoying but I figure, it might help! Once this is over, please God I get it lol Then I can focus on other issues we need sorted.

It is really hard and frustrating when your caring for someone and doing everything right, just hope it works out! I hope you hear too, its frustrating waiting so long! Have a great weekend Nelly :)

jacqui c wrote: »
    hi all i was refused c/a last month sent in for a review but got a letter this morning from the appeals office so does that means my review was not granted ? also how long roughly does an appeal take ? my mothers doctor wrote a great letter stating all of her problems and i contacted joan burtons office to ask for help which was replied to in two day saying they would look into it. other than that i dont think there is anything i can do except wait :(

Any word on your review Jacqui

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hungryharry

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but could not find another,Anyway i applied for carers allowance after i moved home 3 months ago to look after my father who has cancer.I rang several times and was told it will be another 3 months on so on and then this morning i recieved a travel pass but have still not heard a thing from any department/Has this happened anyone or does anyone know what it means regarding my claim?Im presuming i havnt been turned down anyway!!Cant get throgh to them on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sounds like you have been accepted although the Travel Pass is looked after in a different section to the Carer's Allowance. Try ringing the Travel Pass section instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pink2007

My husband has just won his appeal got letter today after 82 weeks terrible to have to wait that long, anyone know what happens

Advertisement