Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cherrypipp

I think we'll be known as wrinklies, old farts, shufflies. Never thought I'd be like Methusalah at 32 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

cherrypipp wrote: »
    I think we'll be known as wrinklies, old farts, shufflies. Never thought I'd be like Methusalah at 32 :-(

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

Noddies, actually, because we sit up front nodding apparently intelligently at the lecturers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

doly wrote: »
    Noddies, actually, because we sit up front nodding apparently intelligently at the lecturers
    BA HAAA! noddies, that's a goodun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

shezer wrote: »
    I would only suggest getting a job if you can handle study and work.Sometimes working can be more of a hindrance than its worth when your studying.I work friday and saturday nights.I think thats more than enough

I went back last year to do a science degree and have 4 children. I live 25 miles away from the college and have to commute and also spend about 20 hours a week cleaning houses on afternoons when I had no lectures and Saturdays..........
    Believe me when I say that if i could pass my exams this year which I did, well then any of you guys can. I am not particularly academic but the key is to attend all your lectures and organise yourself very early on in the year.
    Keep your notes up to date and in a clear fashion and work hard on any assignments as they really to help at the end of the year when bringing up your grades

But most of all HAVE FUN, ENJOY, JOIN A CLUB AND BELIEVE IN
    YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

I went back last year to do a science degree and have 4 children. I live 25 miles away from the college and have to commute and also spend about 20 hours a week cleaning houses on afternoons when I had no lectures and Saturdays..........
    Believe me when I say that if i could pass my exams this year which I did, well then any of you guys can. I am not particularly academic but the key is to attend all your lectures and organise yourself very early on in the year.
    Keep your notes up to date and in a clear fashion and work hard on any assignments as they really to help at the end of the year when bringing up your grades

But most of all HAVE FUN, ENJOY, JOIN A CLUB AND BELIEVE IN
    YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:)

Hiya!

thank you so very much for that - inspirational post! yah, of course it's possible when you put you're all into it - right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

just reading this post and i can understand all what ye are talking about , i am going to lit this september doing software development ,now i am interested in computers but my love is sports , i was going for this but there was 2 obstacles 1 being the lack of credible employment in the sector and the other being that my cruciate ligament is gone ,now my choice is made and i do like messing with computers and my last job involved fixing them so all my experience is directed to it but i am frightened that i will start it and then realise that i hate it .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

ya im goin to lit 2,not nervous at all,duno how its gona turn out but ill prob get excited in the days leading up to the move. i tore my cruciate as well but had an op last year and now im back training 5 days a week so its all good :) cant wait to get started but im a bit worried about getting unfit and tryin to find time to train,need to join a football club up der or somethin

I've wanted to do Physio since school (9years ago!) and the thought has crossed my mind "oh will I like it, will I be any good at it?" but I think that's a natural thought to have in your head when you're starting something new. More nerves than anyone else.

fluffyorganic1 said some wise words there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

Larianne wrote: »
    I've wanted to do Physio since school (9years ago!) and the thought has crossed my mind "oh will I like it, will I be any good at it?" but I think that's a natural thought to have in your head when you're starting something new. More nerves than anyone else.

fluffyorganic1 said some wise words there! :)

are u startin it dis year? jus go for it,i never live wit regrets anyway cuz everythins an experience,u can always change course the followin year if ya dont like it :)

• Advertisement

ckkelly wrote: »
    Hiya!

thank you so very much for that - inspirational post! yah, of course it's possible when you put you're all into it - right?!

Excactly, and I've always thought to myself that if an 18 year old can come in and pass the year whilst on the tear for half of it, well then so can I :D

Although that said, it takes almost 3 days to get over a hangover, whereas at 18 I would've been good to go the next day.....

Damn this ageing process:mad: Not conducive to beery nights out but definitely an advantage when it gets down to studying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

robert18 wrote: »
    but i am frightened that i will start it and then realise that i hate it .
    This and starting the course and realising I find the subjects are too difficult, are my big fears (and that I can't afford the course).... other then this I can't wait to start :rolleyes::D

irishmatic wrote: »
    are u startin it dis year? jus go for it,i never live wit regrets anyway cuz everythins an experience,u can always change course the followin year if ya dont like it :)

Yes, starting in a few weeks. Ah yeah I know I'll be fine. I was just stating that most people have these thoughts when starting something new. I can't flippin wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

I am starting at NUIG in September and cannot wait. I think being labeled a Noddie at 35 is just fine. I cannot wait!

WiseMona wrote: »
    I am starting at NUIG in September and cannot wait. I think being labeled a Noddie at 35 is just fine. I cannot wait!

Hi there WiseMona,

You are the same age as me....... what are you going to be studying.
    I'm headed into my 2nd year of a science degree
    Agree with you about being called a Noddie...I've been called worse

Hi - love your name FO -

I got accepted to the BA Connect course - 4 years, graduating with a degree in Creative Writing, Spanish and English (4 yrs).

:eek:

WiseMona wrote: »
    Hi - love your name FO -

I got accepted to the BA Connect course - 4 years, graduating with a degree in Creative Writing, Spanish and English (4 yrs).

:eek:

Thanks for the name shoutout......
    The guys over on the NUIG forum were thinking of having a boardsie meet up at some stage. Think it would be good to meet a few fellow posters. Would you be interested???

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

i'm so glad to see i'm not the only one nervous. starting Arts in Nuig and i must admit to being a little worried about how its going to all pan out.

Thanks for the name shoutout......
    The guys over on the NUIG forum were thinking of having a boardsie meet up at some stage. Think it would be good to meet a few fellow posters. Would you be interested???

Sure - I will check out the NUIG forum too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 isuppose25

Hi all, i'm also starting as a muture in September and im absoutely bricking it, i'm afraid i wont fit in and that college will be way too much for me, hopefully all will be fine though, not the chatty or social type but i'm planning on making a big effort, best of luck to everyone going back to college!!

• Advertisement

isuppose25 wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm also starting as a muture in September and im absoutely bricking it, i'm afraid i wont fit in and that college will be way too much for me, hopefully all will be fine though, not the chatty or social type but i'm planning on making a big effort, best of luck to everyone going back to college!!

A lot of mature students feel this way about going back to education after being out of the loop for a while.....You will be fine and don't worry about making mates in there..
    If you have anything that interests you then most universities have a club or society dedicated to that. Join up and you will find many friends in that environment...

college will be way too much for me.. I highlighted this section of your post isuppose25 because I felt the same last year before I started my 1st year. As I have said in an earlier post in this thread I am not particularly brainy or academic and chose for god only knows what reason to do a science degree:eek:
    "The college being too much for me" thought that I had last year has proven to be unfounded. I did okay in exams, not fantastic but I held my own considering I work and have 4 kids.....
    I'm not meaning to blow my own boat (well maybe a little:D) but I just want you to know that you will be fine as long as you get organised early in the year and keep up to date with lectures and assignments...

Good luck.
    By the way where and what are you going back to study???

yayaitsme wrote: »
    i'm so glad to see i'm not the only one nervous. starting Arts in Nuig and i must admit to being a little worried about how its going to all pan out.

Don't be nervous as there is always a huge amount of mature students who do Arts in Nuig. You won't be alone at all.. There is a thread over in the NUIG forum about the possibility of Boards members organising some sort of meet up... Would be great if we could get it organised and meet up so we could all be like a support network for each other..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 isuppose25

A lot of mature students feel this way about going back to education after being out of the loop for a while.....You will be fine and don't worry about making mates in there..
    If you have anything that interests you then most universities have a club or society dedicated to that. Join up and you will find many friends in that environment...

college will be way too much for me.. I highlighted this section of your post isuppose25 because I felt the same last year before I started my 1st year. As I have said in an earlier post in this thread I am not particularly brainy or academic and chose for god only knows what reason to do a science degree:eek:
    "The college being too much for me" thought that I had last year has proven to be unfounded. I did okay in exams, not fantastic but I held my own considering I work and have 4 kids.....
    I'm not meaning to blow my own boat (well maybe a little:D) but I just want you to know that you will be fine as long as you get organised early in the year and keep up to date with lectures and assignments...

Good luck.
    By the way where and what are you going back to study???

Thanks a lot for your support, Fair play for going back whilst working and looking after 4 kids, i don't know how i'd manage

I'm sure things will work out ok but it's probably natural to feel a tad aprehensive, I will be studying Arts in UCC, I guess i need to join a few clubs/socs and try to get involved as much as possible, i've been forever shying away from things and being a background person but i think this is a great opportunity to change that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi isuppose

Yep should deffo join something. I'm joining the surfing club in Sept (IT Sligo). You'll have a great time. Have fun ok. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

SuperTyper wrote: »
    I am BRICKING it, starting hairdressing course in September in Crumlin after nearly 19 years in law/IT. Can't believe I'm going back and to do hairdressing too (summit I wanted to do when I was "young" LOL but wasn't allowed). Am excited but at the same time thinking "Am I out of my tiny mind":D

Good luck, just remember that people will always need hair dressers. Good for you and good luck with it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Yeah thats my thinking plus I am already booked to do the whole family (god help them all, who knows what they will end up looking like:D). And sure if all else fails, I can always go back to law (NOT NOT NOT).

Thanks.

Also, SuperTyper something that people don't realise is there is a need for hairdressers in Film & TV in Ireland. Just another avenue you could go down once qualified. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Interesting thought that, thanks a mill for the kind words;)

Trying to fill out grant forms. :o Talk about a head wreck! And I'm guessing coz I live at home I won't be classified as independent. Even though I've lived away for 2 years and only moved home as I wouldn't be able to afford to live out. :rolleyes:

Got my orientation pack from Trinity. So I'm filling out all those forms as well. I'm getting really excited and a bit nervous at the same time. Anyone else?? :)

• Advertisement

Doing the same here with the grant forms. Think I am going blind.............but still very excited. Got regsitered online (NUIG) but still cannot figure out the email ............................ :confused:

Advertisement