Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

gizmo wrote: »
    **** knows where to put this, but in any case, this is the crossover we all deserve...

https://twitter.com/doctoroak/status/1309427869538545664

Looks like the love goes both ways too...

Went googling for other links and came across this. I can't unsee it now.
    https://www.gamesradar.com/hitman-agent-47-archer/

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Yeah, it's deeply unpleasant.

Crap film....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Crap film....

Aye, it is. The first thing that struck me was how well it was made but it's tasteless schlock with a terrible script.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jakey called out Rockstar (brilliantly) and now he's coming for Naughty Dog...

Not as good as the Rockstar video but still pretty good. The MGS3/The Pain/Danny bit made me think he's got a better brain than some at Naughty Dog because that would've been such a clever way to emphasise Ellie's path of destruction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last of US 2 is just a badly written, tonally inconsistent mess with poor characterisation. I'm not even going to say fight me because I'm right.

Looking forward to watching jakey and his yoga ball take it apart later. He was bang on the money with RDR2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

52 minutes? Jaysus.

Maybe my attention span ain't as good as I believe it to be, cos I find anything over 20+ minutes on YouTube gets an immediate "uh, no thanks". Not unless the topic realllly interests me, and even then it'll be watched in stages but IMO a lot of 'tubers could learn some editing techniques, or lessons on condenscing a point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But he has his Yoga ball!

He can say what he wants about Last of Us 2 as long as he doesn't insult my precious proximity mines.

Naughty Dog should just make their next game about proximity mines and kiting bad guys into them or letting dogs spiffing out your farts find little surprises waiting for them

Ye, 52 minutes is way too long for me to sit through some youtuber on a yoga ball with 'zany' filler graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm fine with long videos if it's about something that really interests me. Ross video on GUIs was amazing and hit on things I've been thinking about for years now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tim Rogers' recent three hour (!) reviews of FF7 and Doom are gonzo long-form criticism / anti-jokes / autobiographical self-deprecation in their purest form. I really could take or leave his early videos, but I think he's really nailed the tone of whatever the **** he's doing since going solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

3 hours and 20 minutes, if you worked that much time instead of watching the video you could practically pay for the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ERG89 wrote: »
    3 hours and 20 minutes, if you worked that much time instead of watching the video you could practically pay for the game.

*whispers* the video is more interesting than the game

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

pixelburp wrote: »
    52 minutes? Jaysus.

Maybe my attention span ain't as good as I believe it to be, cos I find anything over 20+ minutes on YouTube gets an immediate "uh, no thanks". Not unless the topic realllly interests me, and even then it'll be watched in stages but IMO a lot of 'tubers could learn some editing techniques, or lessons on condenscing a point.
    Ye, 52 minutes is way too long for me to sit through some youtuber on a yoga ball with 'zany' filler graphics.

Pft, philistines!

Jakey is the man. He's probably the only Youtuber I'd watch who does long-form video essays. It helps that they're so rare, his last one was almost 2 years ago now.

Makes a refreshing change from Youtubers cramming their outrage into 10:01 videos.

I like him as well. Even when he is giving out about he is just so cheerful and throws out the self deprecating humour.

Honestly, I tend to only use Youtube to watch the occasional documentary, usually on music, and hard to find music tracks that aren't on the streaming platforms. I might watch a couple of minutes of some of the stuff linked here or to check out what a game might look like but that's about all the engagement I have with the platform. Youtubers just annoy me. Two minutes of that 3 hour video and seeing the quick edits to cut out pauses was enough for me to turn it off.

If you want a good music documentary though I can recommend some!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I find YouTube a great platform for games related stuff. Started watching Allanna Pierce and watched a couple of those play watch listen ones she has with Troy baker. Games maker toolkit is brilliant. Anybody recommend anybody else they think are worth checking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I watch a lot of cod related stuff (or whatever game I'm invested in at the time) so it's very specific. I do like some of the game review ones Before you buy and Girlfriend reviews but with the latter I've generally played the game already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Girlfriend Reviews is my favourite channel at the moment, funny, insightful and clever. I find it hard to find a gaming channel of news round up and discussion. Full of click baiting, ranting, gushing, shyte talking, trying to be funny but really not, etc, etc. Alannah Pearce is really good but i find I'm only interested in some of her topics so i can't consistently watch her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Greyfox wrote: »
    I find YouTube a great platform for games related stuff. Started watching Allanna Pierce and watched a couple of those play watch listen ones she has with Troy baker. Games maker toolkit is brilliant. Anybody recommend anybody else they think are worth checking out?

People Make Games is a good channel if you liked GMTK. It's not about the technical aspects of development, more geared towards the human stories as the name suggests. Very relaxed, friendly presentational style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

On a similar note, I recommend Matt McMuscles's (of the dearly departed Super Best Friends Play) "Wha Happun" series, especially if you have a morbid curiosity for developmental disasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I watch a lot of cod related stuff (or whatever game I'm invested in at the time) so it's very specific. I do like some of the game review ones Before you buy and Girlfriend reviews but with the latter I've generally played the game already.

Usually better to watch Girlfriend Reviews after anyway since they usually spoil things.
    I only watch a handful of channels and only other gaming one would be Larry Bundy Jr. I do watch some Viva La Dirt.
    Other non gaming channels are the Pitch meetings on Screen rant and Ryan George's own channel. Just mention those because they're tight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Anyone else here checked out Blaseball? It's.... interesting. The narrative is almost totally user driven, with the rules changing based upon user votes and actions.

You don't need to know anything about baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I find it hard to find a gaming channel of news round up and discussion.

Kinda Funny Games Daily i find is very good for a news roundup format. They discuss the main topics of the day. If you can tolerate Greg Miller you'll enjoy it. Some people can't stand him. He sometimes only presents 1 or 2 episodes a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kinda Funny Games Daily i find is very good for a news roundup format. They discuss the main topics of the day. If you can tolerate Greg Miller you'll enjoy it. Some people can't stand him. He sometimes only presents 1 or 2 episodes a week though.

Can't stand them anymore, except nick who know nothing about the games side anyway.

Most of their games stuff is just reading someone else headline a day after the fact and probably getting something lost in the meantime or the original source being some nothing article clickbait. Then they just give some opinion that's either so vague it could be applied to anything as this is the first time they're hearing about the subject or they take a hard left and get somewhere weird.

They cancelled Kinda Funny Games Daily before as it was doing so poorly and getting so much negativity, and made some promises of how the future one would be better before it just went back to how it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Varik wrote: »
    Most of their games stuff is just reading someone else headline a day after the fact and probably getting something lost in the meantime or the original source being some nothing article clickbait. Then they just give some opinion that's either so vague it could be applied to anything as this is the first time they're hearing about the subject or they take a hard left and get somewhere weird.

Whatever about their opinions, like I said it's just a handy podcast that gathers all that days news and discusses it. I think that's what the OP was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whatever about their opinions, like I said it's just a handy podcast that gathers all that days news and discusses it. I think that's what the OP was looking for.

I like Greg and tried watching that show a few times but too much waffle for my liking. A brilliant news show i found was psvr parole. Obviously limited to psvr but when i had it it, it was a great watch. Telling me about stuff i didn't know, good recommendations and things to keep an eye on, no shyte talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Can anyone recommend me good fighting or beat em up games that I can play on an Xbox 360, Xbox One or a PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Really love Tekken on PS4, as well as Mortal Kombat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Tekken 7, Soul Calubur 6

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me good fighting or beat em up games that I can play on an Xbox 360, Xbox One or a PS4?

Samurai Shodown is the best one I've played in a long time. Loads of fun, looks great.

However the best thing about it is despite it having mountains of depth it's one of the most accessible fighting games I've ever played. Every character has their own special moves as usual but the more advanced mechanics and supers all share the exact same inputs for each character meaning it's very easy to learn but still got the complexity if you want to take it further.

I heard the Dragonball game is excellent as well.

Advertisement