Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: When did you learn the extent of Irish involvement with anti-native forces in America
In school 4 5.41%
College / Adulthood 21 28.38%
This is news to me so 49 66.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

25-08-2020, 09:59   #31
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Do you realise you have just quoted two different posters?
God, you're right. My apologies.

Quote:
And I'm not talking exclusively about the 19th century.
Fair enough. Though I think the "more Irish" claim (which we are both sceptical of) refers to what went on in the nineteenth century, and it is in the nineteenth century that the bulk of Indiand dispossession occurs.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 11:42   #32
Tinytemper

Irish people did horrible things as members of the British armed forces. That's not a secret. It's why they were rightfully ostracised by many upon return and by our government when we had the chance. It's also why revisionists trying to commemorate the black and tans etc are receiving strong opposition. These people are Ireland's shame, we shouldn't forget them, they should be remembered so others are discouraged from repeating the same mistakes.

Mod note:
Please keep on topic and avoid generalistation/inflamatory statements. You are invited to read the History forum charter,

Last edited by Manach; 25-08-2020 at 12:17. Reason: Mod:
25-08-2020, 12:19   #33
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
No. I think you are conflating two very different periods of history.

The plague of epidemics followed first contact/exploration; it was rapid and severe. But "rapid" is the key word here; from about a century after first contact the population was recovering again - i.e. from the early 1600s. And the repopulation of the land with new, changed societies - e.g. the plains Indian culture - was extensive. As well as acquiring smallpox from Europeans, Native Americans acquired domesticated horses, and this completely changed their way of life, enabling different, and very successful, patterns of land use, settlement and migration.

It was another two hundred years or more before European settlers on the Eastern seaboard began their aggressive westward expansion and settlement program. They were not settling in depopulated lands, but in repopulated lands, of which the well-established indigenous people had to be disposessed.
Nope. It's you are confused. The thread is about the entire history of New World colonisation. There were massacres towards the end of the 19th century but they were also massacres in the 16th century and Irish present from very early on. There is evidence of plagues hitting far later the early 1600s, even in the second half of the 19th cen but even if there was wasn't, it wouldn't disprove my point. The populations never recovered their numbers, despite substantial cultural change and evolution like the adoption of horse use. There was probably a few areas like on the Plains where horses allowed a net increase exlcuing the impact of plagues but that is an exception.
25-08-2020, 12:22   #34
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post

I’m not particularly interested in defending the “more Irish” claim. For what it’s worth, I think it’s a very dodgy claim. I was more responding to your claim that “no ethnic cleansing was needed” to facilitate the settlement of Indian territories by white settlers. It certainly was.
Boards.ie brings out the worse in people. No one said this. My point was that even if there was no massacres that the end result would be the same.
25-08-2020, 12:49   #35
Padre_Pio

Quote:
The 90% figure seems to be a widely accepted estimate for losses after contact through disease.
When you look at the battles between native Americans and European settlers, the numbers involved are minuscule.

Most have less than 2,000 participants total, compared to a Napoleonic battle which could have 100 times more combatants.

The population was either ridiculously small to begin with, or so absolutely devastated that the settlers could easily raise an army larger than the indigenous peoples.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 12:53   #36
Thelonious Monk

People have this view that the Irish are saintly and never got involved in any atrocities, and it's the Brits who are the devils of the world.
Irish were involved with mistreatment of Australian Aboriginals, Native Americans, and committed many atrocities while being part of the British army. That O'Dwyer guy was responsible for the massacre in India that inspired Ghandi to protest for independence.
There were also plenty of Irish slave owners.
We're just like any other humans, will kill/pillage for food/money/power when necessary.
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2020, 12:59   #37
IAMAMORON

I initially thought about the Duke of Welly when I saw the title.

Massacred thousands in India.
25-08-2020, 13:03   #38
StevieHardesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
We're just like any other humans, will kill/pillage for food/money/power when necessary.
Nothing more to say ...[/thread]
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 13:08   #39
Thelonious Monk

Also that old joker Lord Haw Haw, Nazi cheerleader, was Irish. We're no different to anyone else.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 13:09   #40
RandomViewer

Blunt instrument of whatever flag they served,
25-08-2020, 13:10   #41
Tinytemper

And those Irish people who committed these crimes were rightly vilified and ostracised upon return. We don't celebrate these people.
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 13:12   #42
Thelonious Monk

Isn't the very fact there are so many Irish names in Australia/North America proof that we were colonisers?
25-08-2020, 13:14   #43
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytemper View Post
And those Irish people who committed these crimes were rightly vilified and ostracised upon return.
Were they??
25-08-2020, 13:22   #44
Granadino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytemper View Post
And those Irish people who committed these crimes were rightly vilified and ostracised upon return. We don't celebrate these people.
Like John Mitchell and Fr Kenyon?
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 13:25   #45
Tinytemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Were they??
Yes.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline