Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do British Media and Elite insist on the 'melting pot' narrative

• 16-01-2018 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

All research seems to indicate largely a mix of Anglo-Saxon and natives of the Island. Their dominant 'immigrant' group were Saxons but they denounce this culture and for some reason persist on giving off this vision of themselves as a melting pot genetically.

*Yes, I know in 2018 UK is a melting pot like everywhere else in the western world, I'm talking specifically about their history of the European looking population.

Is it something to do with the USA and their exposure to this narrative which actually makes sense in their case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Culturally they are a melting pot, and culture matters a great deal more than genes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Another reason for playing down the Anglo-Saxons is that it akes them a bit too close to the Germans, the poor Windsors barely saved face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ipso wrote: »
    Another reason for playing down the Anglo-Saxons is that it akes them a bit too close to the Germans, the poor Windsors barely saved face.

1. What does this even mean?
    2. This isn't AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

21Savage wrote: »
    All research seems to indicate largely a mix of Anglo-Saxon and natives of the Island. Their dominant 'immigrant' group were Saxons but they denounce this culture and for some reason persist on giving off this vision of themselves as a melting pot genetically.

*Yes, I know in 2018 UK is a melting pot like everywhere else in the western world, I'm talking specifically about their history of the European looking population.

Is it something to do with the USA and their exposure to this narrative which actually makes sense in their case.

Who are 'they'?

Examples or sources or is this just a rant?

21Savage wrote: »
    All research seems to indicate largely a mix of Anglo-Saxon and natives of the Island. Their dominant 'immigrant' group were Saxons but they denounce this culture and for some reason persist on giving off this vision of themselves as a melting pot genetically

err, no they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

What confuses me is how they look exactly like Irish people yet we've been separated for thousands of years, I mean look at the amount of Viking blood the people of Yorkshire would have, there were very few Viking settlers here in Ulster yet I wouldn't look any different to a Yorkshire person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Genetically Irish people are closest to British people so it's no surprise we look similar. Ultimately all Europeans come from the same stock populations, different groups just got different amounts at different times. The Jute, Anglo Saxon and Dane distribution in England would have varied by region, in general the East Coast got the most and places like Cornwall and Devon wouldn't have got as much of an input.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

What confuses me is how they look exactly like Irish people yet we've been separated for thousands of years, I mean look at the amount of Viking blood the people of Yorkshire would have, there were very few Viking settlers here in Ulster yet I wouldn't look any different to a Yorkshire person.

You think? I think they look different from people in the West Coast of Ireland.

You have to compare phenotypes. There are millions of French people that if you put in Ireland would just look Irish yet there is a French look. Franck Ribery for example to me has all the looks of a typical French of peasant stock. Same with Gerard Depardieu.

English people do look different than the typical Irish look. Of course as white Europeans on the other island they will have similarities but I think they look way way more Germanic than us. But even when they don't look Germanic they have their own look. Leighton Baines looks so English. Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Grant likewise.. I think I could spot an English person a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We're going to start measuring heads and noses shortly...

Advertisement