Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could anyone help me solve this mystery ?

• 07-11-2017 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello. Just wondering if by any chance any of you might be able to help me solve a bit of a mystery. Or have any suggestions on how I might be able to solve it.

I am adopted and know almost nothing about my original family, but I recently did a dna test which helped me identify one of my possible sets of great grandparents - a Dennis Mannix (1844-1892) and Ellen Murphy (1841-1925) from Cloustogue, Doneraile in Co Cork. They had 9 children , and one of them might be my grandparent. So I am trying to figure out which - I've tried running their names through Familysearch and findmypast but there are a lot of similar named people, so I can't work out which is the correct one.

So I am posting here in the hope someone might like a mystery and be able to help me solve this one.

The 9 children of my great grandparents are.....

Mary Mannix, 17 Oct 1869
    Daniel Mannix, 7 Jul 1872 (married Catherine Ives in 1921 in Mallow)
    Hannah Mannix, 12 Apr 1875 married Edward Harrington in Wellesley MA, USA
    Edmond Mannix, 14 Oct 1877
    Catherine Mannix, 29 Sep 1878
    Ellen Mannix, 29 Sep 1878
    Margaret Mannix, 23 May 1881
    Bridget Mannix, 10 Oct 1884
    Agnes Mannix about 1887 emigrated to MA, USA. married Walter W Smith in Wellesley MA in 1913, d 1960 [this last person is the one that gave the dna link that connects me to the Mannix family as I am a dna match for the grandson of Anges Mannix and Walter Smith. ]

The only other clues I have is that my own original mother was a lady called Lyons, (Catherine or Kathleen) and she and my original father would have been in the Dublin / Dun Laoghaire area in the 1960's.

Thanks very much if anyone could help me with this mystery.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, we do like a challenge!

What you need to ascertain is which of these Mannix children got married, apart from the ones you know already, and who had children.

What level of centimorgans do you share with the grandson of Agnes Mannix and Walter Smith? See Blaine Bettinger's chart here to help you figure out whether you might be second cousins or if there's a remove in the mix.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

pinkypinky wrote: »

What level of centimorgans do you share with the grandson of Agnes Mannix and Walter Smith? See Blaine Bettinger's chart here to help you figure out whether you might be second cousins or if there's a remove in the mix.

From the Ancestry dna match :

Amount of Shared DNA
    232 centimorgans shared across 12 DNA segments

Note: Mallow SRD

Daniel Mannix m. Catherine Ives in Feb 1921, so it'll be difficult to work out from indexes which kids are theirs. Mothers' names not usually in the index until about 1928 online.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This is a Margaret Mannix marriage in 1925 - could be right but would like other opinions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Of the other kids:

No Mary Mannix marriage in Mallow with father’s name Dennis.
    No Edmond Mannix marriage in Mallow in right time period.
    No Catherine Mannix marriage in Mallow in the right time period.
    None of the others have any marriages listed in Mallow.

So this means they married further afield or did not marry, which is a much bigger job to check.

The centimorgan amount puts it slap bang in the 2nd cousin range, which is what we expected.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Daniel & Catherine possible kids, though the first one is fairly certain. You're going to have to order these records to be sure.

Name: Patrick Mannix
    Mother's Surname: Ives
    Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1932
    Registration district: Mallow
    Birth Country: Ireland
    Volume: 5
    Page: 342

NAME: Denis Mannix
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1923Jan-Feb-Mar
    REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Mallow
    BIRTH COUNTRY: Ireland
    VOLUME: 5
    PAGE: 323

NAME: William Paul Mannix*
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1921Jul-Aug-Sep
    PAGE: 343

*Catherine's father is called William but this baby would have been on the way before the marriage not impossible, of course.

NAME: Ellen Mannix
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1921Oct-Nov-Dec
    PAGE: 327
    This one is maybe more likely?

NAME: Thomas Francis Mannix
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1924Jan-Feb-Mar
    PAGE: 339

NAME: Mary Kate Mannix
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1924Apr-May-Jun
    PAGE: 363

NAME: Mary Jane Mannix
    DATE OF REGISTRATION: 1926Jul-Aug-Sep
    PAGE: 347

Genealogy Forum Mod

Catherine (Kate) registered her father's death so she was unmarried in 1892.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Possible death in infancy for Edmond Mannix

Name EDMOND MANNIX
    Year of Death 1877
    Group Registration ID N/R
    SR District/Reg Area Mallow
    Deceased Age at Death 0
    Returns Year 1877
    Returns Quarter 4
    Returns Volume No 20
    Returns Page No 361

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks very much for looking all these up

No problem. The main sticky details how to order certs if you don't already know.

Feel free to post again if you need specific pointers.

You should look at US censuses for the 2 people who married in America, which should detail their kids, though I presume you already have details of the one branch you matched with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great work pinky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for all this information and help. I have been researching all day and found a possible connection - the Patrick Mannix that was born in or around 1932, is particularily interesting, as I have found a Patrick Mannix that died in 2001 in Birmingham England. That ties in with some information I have - that my parents had moved to England after I was born. I also did a search on 192.com and it brought up a 2002 record which showed a Kathleen R Lyons and a Patrick Mannix at an address in Birmingham.

I'm still not sure if this might just be co-incidences, (I've learned not to jump to conclusions in my search !) but I am going to try and find out more about them and see if perhaps, just maybe they might be the same ones I am related to.

Findmypast has electoral registers for 2002-2014.

Please note that in our charter, we can't discuss finding people who might still be alive, but if you want to PM any specific questions, I'll do my best to help you out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There are Facebook pages for Mallow Genealogy, Mallow DNA Project and also one for North Cork genealogy. (Not as good as here, but worth a look.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 knowledge88888

This mystery is history

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement