Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It was a bit of a squash though. Both subjects need more space to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The coin collectors probably felt that we were a nuisance taking up space in their section - it works both ways.

The major problem from my point of view, was the noise, there was no excuse for music in a zone occupied by genealogists & coin collectors, it is difficult enough to hear at the best of times, when crowded, without amplified music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I read this today and wanted to share, thought everyone here would smile wryly and nod in agreement. It's taken from an online Vanity Fair article about the search for Patsey from 12 Years a Slave:

"There is no way to estimate how long it could take to find (someone)," said Mills. It could take months. It could take years. Records were not created for genealogical purposes; they were not created for historical purposes. Public records are created for legal purposes. Censuses were created for analytical purposes. And so they created what was needed. We, as researchers, have to learn all of the different resources that exist for an area, and then we have to learn all of the different techniques to link little different pieces of data into a whole person. In the end, a person is more than a name - a person is a concrete set of characteristics. We assemble as many pieces of those characteristics as possible, and we use that to help us narrow down. It is an incredible amount of work."

Quote: Elizabeth Shown Mills

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booterstown RC Parish really did have exceptional record keeping in the 1850s/1860s - lovely preprinted baptism registers with the DOB recorded; and someone after the fact went and did a first-letter-of-surname summary index also (from 1817 on)

Also a first of surname (husband only) index for marriages but marginally too new (1850s) to be of use to me.

L1011 wrote: »
    Booterstown RC Parish really did have exceptional record keeping in the 1850s/1860s - lovely preprinted baptism registers with the DOB recorded; and someone after the fact went and did a first-letter-of-surname summary index also (from 1817 on)

Also a first of surname (husband only) index for marriages but marginally too new (1850s) to be of use to me.

Yes, Dublin parishes generally had superior records to their country cousins.

One reason for this is that they had ready access to stationers with quality ink, while the bumpkins had to water down the ink, or God help us, make their own substitute.

Booterstown had another advantage, it was on the "Gold Coast",(Sandymount to Greystones) where some, at least, parishioners had money, rather than just people scraping to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Happy Christmas, genies. I love our little community here on boards. Here's to 2017.

Remember that family get togethers are a great time to find out old gossip and flesh out stories, as well as creating new ones. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Happy Christmas, genies. I love our little community here on boards. Here's to 2017.

Remember that family get togethers are a great time to find out old gossip and flesh out stories, as well as creating new ones. :D

Happy Christmas Pinky and to all. My advice to my fellow genealogists.....don't get granddad too drunk or he'll spin you a string of lies!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas Pinky and to all. My advice to my fellow genealogists.....don't get granddad too drunk or he'll spin you a string of lies!! :D

Festive greetings and sentiments repeated to all, an a special thanks to Pinky for her even-handed modding. Not sure about about the granddad comment though, "Where is granddad?" ....."He's in on his computer looking at dead people again!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, as above seasonal felicitations to one and all and a special thanks to Pinky for continuing to do an excellent job of steering the ship.

Thanks to those who gave me the help I was looking for with my queries during the year and also those who gave me help I didn't know I was looking for by posting their own genealogical puzzles and musings.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Happy christmas fellow boardies.

I spent the morning doing up the family tree - got a photo of a nice tree as background, used powerpoint to place text boxes with names and dates, photos, managed to fit five generations in. Got it copied and framed for the unsuspecting and probably ungrateful brothers and sisters.

Can't wait to see what wonderful new online databases will be released in 2017 - this year has been great.

• Advertisement

Independent Newspapers appear to have changed things at announcement.ie which means you can't search for older death notices.
    Another useful source gone behind a pay-wall presumably.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Just came across a new site today. Its probably well known but just said I'd mention it anyway.
    Its http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes. It contains essays written by people (mostly school kids) in the 30's and 40's. You can search by surname or by school.
    I found essays written by 2 Grandparents of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Just came across a new site today. Its probably well known but just said I'd mention it anyway.

It's been around for quite a while. Those records are known about by many, particularly those who have an interest in local history. While it is nice to discover the childhood jottings of an ancestor, and to see them digitised and transcribed (often by local volunteers), history ain’t.

It is folklore, stories recounted to children as part of a homework project and not to be taken without a very large dose of salt. Researching them before ‘on-line’, one would wonder if it was worth the trip to UCD to look at them in its Folklore Collection. The bools I have looked at are riddled with inaccuracies – historical and genealogical - and regularly ‘stained’ by the biased politics of post War of Independence Ireland. A light read, often entertaining, if Enid Blyton bores you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was amused to read one child's version of where the placename Killester came from. Wildly inaccurate of course, but like something a child would come up with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had to worry about general literacy standards in my Grandfather's school based on him having written over half the entries! Wasn't even that tiny a school.

spurious wrote: »
    I was amused to read one child's version of where the placename Killester came from. Wildly inaccurate of course, but like something a child would come up with.

Most of what children relate is what adults have told them or indoctrinated into them, adults who should know better, but who probably heard the same nonsense when they were young.

L1011 wrote: »
    I had to worry about general literacy standards in my Grandfather's school based on him having written over half the entries! Wasn't even that tiny a school.

I suspect that teachers submitted the projects of their pets, in the genuine belief that these brought most credit on the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

for anyone missing the 1st. Ed. OSI historic maps which are down for the weekend - see GeoHive

I thought this was stickied? Anyway, I didn't think this news worthy of its own thread and wasn't sure where else to put it so...

Anyone else with Ontario ancestors? FmP are teaming up with the Ontario Genealogical Society to release millions of names in records from there. I'm delighted! Claire Santry's blog has the details.

Further to that FMP UK and Ireland records are free for the next four days.

Again see Claire Santry's blog for more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    I suspect that teachers submitted the projects of their pets, in the genuine belief that these brought most credit on the school.

Very possible - I know he hated his secondary school but I never got to talk to him about his primary. Died when I was 11, so little chance to; although that grandmother is the last alive and fairly with it when she's not on the sherry!

Slightly off-topic in that it's about books so here goes. I was in Chapters today on Parnell street and there are a lot of second hand genealogy books upstairs, where normally there isn't to be honest. Top of the stairs, turn immediately left and there's a large wooden bookcase marked Irish Interest or something. Right behind that, and parallel with it is another I think marked Local History or summat. Bottom shelf, far right.

So what's there? Well for starters 4 or 5 copies of John Grenham's guides. 1 4th Edition, a couple of 3rd, 1 2nd. There's also a handful of copies of MacLysaght's Surnames of Ireland. Also there are about 6 copies of a hardback book called Tracing your Irish Family History by Anthony Adolph. I got one a few years ago and actually found a few things I didn't know. There are more, some good; some not so good. But worth a look.

I love getting old books for my collection. Honestly you can never know enough and it's funny what you can learn or find in some of these old pre-Internet books. Today I got a hardback edition of James G. Ryan's Irish Records for Family and Local History, printed in 1988, for 8 Euro. Each chapter is county by county and has some lovely maps in it.

Also purchased today - Claire Santry's new Irish Genealogy Guide. I haven't looked at it yet but I daresay there'll be something of interest in it. Tbh I don't care (though I have no doubt it will!). I bought it mostly because I wanted her to get the royalties quite frankly. She deserves my support for all the work she's done over the years and for her wonderful blog.

And btw 'we' get a mention in Appendix F! On behalf of Boards Genealogy - thanks Claire.

That's cool. Ryan's book was the first genealogy book I got - from Santa, many years ago, at great expense (so Santa says!)
    I haven't heard of the Anthony Adolph one either. Wonder who he is?

I've ordered a copy of Claire's book on Amazon too - wanted to be able to give her a review online as a verified purchaser.

Since we're talking about books - apart from the already mentioned Grenham, MacLysaght & Ryan, what else do you consider essential?

I would put Brian Mitchell's New Genealogical Atlas on the list and the Directory of Irish Archives. Flyleaf's county guides are excellent too.

Because I'm a nerd, I have a hard copy of the 1851 Townland Index.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

..Since we're talking about books - apart from the already mentioned Grenham, MacLysaght & Ryan, what else do you consider essential?

I would put Brian Mitchell's New Genealogical Atlas on the list and the Directory of Irish Archives. Flyleaf's county guides are excellent too.

Because I'm a nerd, I have a hard copy of the 1851 Townland Index.

+1 for New Genealogical Atlas... essential reference. I also have a Ryan's Irish Records which I still use, and a hard copy '51 Townland Index.

I've just ordered, this minute, Mitchell's Atlas and a book by James Reilly about Griffith's Valuation. My book collection to date is attached.

I was going to take a photo of mine last night but decided it would just mark me down as a massive nerd, as opposed to the moderate nerd you all think I am.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was going to take a photo of mine last night but decided it would just mark me down as a massive nerd, as opposed to the moderate nerd you all think I am.

I'm an unashamed nay proud nerd. In more avenues than one. I spent two hours yesterday in Tower records perusing Jazz and Blues vinyl and World films. :D

I'd love to know what genealogical literature everyone possesses so, please, do take a photo and post. It'll give me ideas!

On a tangent more appropriate here: you're emigrating? I hope it's for a fantastic job and new life somewhere warm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On a tangent more appropriate here: you're emigrating? I hope it's for a fantastic job and new life somewhere warm.

Malta. Getting married. Job wise I'll fill you all in when I'm up and running. Self-employment though, in this general line, but not as a genealogist per se. Speaking of which, whilst there over the winter I started working on my partner's family history - she's Maltese of course. I was thinking of writing something up in a thread, just to juxtapose our records with theirs. One thing I can tell you. Whilst visiting a church office I was shown a hand written record in an old, dusty
    book of the first baptism in the parish. 1562. I kid you not. Most parishes have records of birth, marriage (and death!) back to at the latest the mid 17th Century. Incredible.

I could also do a write-up on Canadian research if anyone's interested. Ontario especially.

• Advertisement

Mod9maple - pm about those ideas for thread please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement