Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

A great tip from Claire's blog post:

One irritation of the 'enhanced' indexes is that, even where a date of birth, marriage or death has been provided from the registers, the database is stuck in a 'year of registration' groove. An example from the birth index will explain this: You're looking for your ancestor John Martin Ryan who you know was born on 12 December 1928 but you don't know where. So you search for him using his name and the year 1928. You won't find him.

The reason you won't find him is that his birth was registered in 1929 and you have to use that date in the search fields to locate his birth record, the very birth record which will show the December 1928 birthday! Infuriating, but definitely worth remembering when you can't find someone. This applies for births, marriages and deaths.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So effectively we're going to have what the Scots have, but free. Full indexes, rolling year full records and all extant census data. Will be up there with the best internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is it time for us to sing Hallelujah now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is it time for us to sing Hallelujah now?

Only when they change the Statistics Act to a more sensible, oh, 70 years maybe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can't find Kenneth Hugh Murphy who appears on Family Search if anyone has any suggestions for alternative searches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hermy wrote: »
    I can't find Kenneth Hugh Murphy who appears on Family Search if anyone has any suggestions for alternative searches.

not seeing him either... there's is one 'unknown' male Murphy showing up in Rathdown that year, but during the wrong quarter. Do you know the surname of Kenneth's mother ?

...example from the birth index will explain this: You're looking for your ancestor John Martin Ryan who you know was born on 12 December 1928 but you don't know where. So you search for him using his name and the year 1928. You won't find him...

same applies to the Index books in the GRO, and the Index transcripts on FamilySearch/FMP/Ancestry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads, what's the name of the website?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    not seeing him either... there's is one 'unknown' male Murphy showing up in Rathdown that year, but during the wrong quarter. Do you know the surname of Kenneth's mother ?

Mothers name is Annie Pelly.
    Managed to find his other siblings but some of the transcriptions are poor...
    Maureen
    Eithne
    John Pelly
    Emer
    Colman O'Shaughnessy
    Dermod Art Pelly

EDIT: The Times Death Notices from Ancestry confirm his date of birth as 7/9/1916.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Mothers name is Annie Pelly.
    Managed to find his other siblings but some of the transcriptions are poor...

no success for me either, under and Rathdown and Murphy/Pelly and variations, just the siblings and the only 3rd Qtr (27th Sept) birth in Rathdown listing I can find with Pelly as mother's maiden name is surname Thompson, and female. At least in this case there's a good match on FamilySearch so you can order a cert to see the other details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am absolutely loving this ! So much extra data to play with. Have managed to fill in a few gaps in my tree and even found a new Grand aunt that I never new I had. (she died in infancy in 1907 so never hit our radars)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I've some that I haven't been able to find too, but even with Family search and Ancestry i've always used both anyway so this is just another one in the mix!!

From Irish Genealogy News
    In recent years, other 'enhancements' have been made to the indexes used by GRO staff. Whereas older marriages (1845 to the turn of the 20th century) are still recorded with each partner to the marriage entered separately, necessitating the need to cross-check the reference details to find a match, GRO staff started indexing the bride and groom as a couple. For example, the marriage of John Doyle and Catherine Faul on 01 October 1904 is found whether you search for his name or her name – no need to cross-check. These 'joint' entries have been indexed back to 1912; they're a bit hit and miss from 1903 to 1911.

Despite this working for most cases, in one instance when I search for a marriage of a Dolan with second party surname Hoade I get nothing found. Yet when I do it the other way around with Dolan as the second party I get the marriage I'm looking for.
    So for those struggling to find records, as ever be creative with the search tools!

Genealogy Forum Mod

It doesn't seem necessary to make the results 'live' as all the information is there beside it. When you click the 'live' result you get exactly the same information.

I also had a family of 5 children in my tree but only found three of them, I discovered that the mother's birth surname had been transcribed with a letter 'A' for the three children which is correct, but for the other two I found her name had been transcribed with a letter 'O' instead of the 'A'.

Another family I was searching for I could only get two results when I knew there were a whole load more. As the surname of the mother started with Mc, I tried dropping the Mc, and I then got tons of results including the ones I was looking for. It might also work for names beginning with O'

When searching for McGing or similar also try searching for Mc Ging with a space.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Really needs a fuzzer for O' (probably best to allow that as an option) and Mc/Mac (permanent, I'd suspect) and maybe a soundex setup for searches. As well as helping with transcription issues it can help with badly handed down family history - I once managed to find someone after being told they'd married a "Beardsley" and ScotlandsPeople soundex found the actually correct "Mawdsley" for her wedding and death cert.

And don't bother spelling Mairéad with a fada.

I hate to be the moaning Michael but this really is pathetic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This can't have been done locally surely? Was it outsourced again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Very productive couple of days. Lots of dates in my tree changed from circa to actual dates ! Still quite a few of mine that I can't find but I'll keep looking. Can we use the details online to order certificates ? I've found a couple that I need to verify.

• Advertisement

haven't tried it out myself yet - apparently you can use the Group Registration ID instead of the usual index references to order certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

I'll give it a go and let you know.

I heard back from someone who the that used the Group IDs for certs from Werburgh street no problem, so imagine orders by post/fax should be OK also

revised order form for certs allowing for either Group Reg. ID or the volume and page references here (John Grenham's website)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Is there a way of correcting the spelling of a name on the Irish Genealogy site ? Did a search & the surname is spelt with an O instead of an A under civil records

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    I heard back from someone who the that used the Group IDs for certs from Werburgh street no problem, so imagine orders by post/fax should be OK also

Yeah. I just received my first cert via email just using the group ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Ponster wrote: »
    Yeah. I just received my first cert via email just using the group ID.

Did it take long from when you requested it, to when you received it?

I've been in. The Group ID is accepted no problem! :) Got a few records which are guiding me back in time again which is great, but a few others were not relevant to me, at least not right now. I always hope at some stage the records that don't relate to me, might be knitted in with future information.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've been in. The Group ID is accepted no problem! :) Got a few records which are guiding me back in time again which is great, but a few others were not relevant to me, at least not right now. I always hope at some stage the records that don't relate to me, might be knitted in with future information.

Always worth putting them up here just in case someone has use for them: http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/

Advertisement