Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NLI August 2012 Lectures

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't work in the city centre, so can't attend any of them easily.
    Such a shame, as there's loads I'd like to have gone to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Vic,

Are you planning on attending any of these:

Wednesday 8 August
    Connecting with the Diaspora
    Anne Rodda, Genealogist

Thursday 9 August
    Irish genes and ancestry
    Gianpiero Cavallieri, Royal College of Surgeons

Thursday 23 August
    Scots-Irish emigration, 17th – 19th centuries
    William Roulston, Ulster Historical Foundation

Monday 27 August
    A thousand years of Irish genealogy: how to use Gaelic pedigrees and family trees in your research
    Prof. Nollaig Ó Muraíle, NUIG

Wednesday 29 August
    Records for children in Care (pre-1952 adoptions)
    Fiona Fitzsimons, Eneclann

If so, is there any chance you could post the main points of the lecture or any handouts that that given?

Sorry for posting so many! No worries if you are not attending any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

VicWynne wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just wondering if anyone else is going to these lectures?
    I've been to the second two and they were excellent.

http://www.nli.ie/en/list/current-events.aspx?article=8306d5ac-33c7-4e3b-86c6-143bafa3d065

They're starting at 1 and you're out of there be 1:30 which is great.

Vic

Was there many at them Vic? I know they moved to a bigger room following the first one, but is there need to arrive pretty early to avoid missing out or are there normally seats empty? I'm hoping to go Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

I missed the first one, which was Sean Murphy (UCD Cert & diploma lecturer) talking about genealogy for beginners.
    I was at the rest of them.

Mod9Maple, there were very few seats left today, but it was John Grenham. The previous two had seats available so you don't need to be too early. I'm hoping to make Thursdays talk.

Coolnabacky1873, I plan on attending the following from your list:
    Thursday 9 August Irish genes and ancestry Gianpiero Cavallieri, Royal College of Surgeons
    Monday 27 August A thousand years of Irish genealogy: how to use Gaelic pedigrees and family trees in your research Prof. Nollaig Ó Muraíle, NUIG

I can't go to the lectures on Wednesdays as I'm not in Dublin, though I'm thinking I might try to work from home on another day so I can get to Wednesday 15 August Using newspapers to trace your family history Jennifer Doyle, Eneclann & Wednesday 29 August Records for children in Care (pre-1952 adoptions) Fiona Fitzsimons, Eneclann

PinkyPinky, Fiona Fitzsimons mentioned on Friday that there'd been a number of requests to make the presentation/slides & any handouts available online and that she was looking into the possibility.

HTH
    Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Alot of these look great. Sorry if this is a silly question, but where is the Seminar Room in the NLI? I had a very quick look on their site but couldn't see any info.

• Advertisement

When you go inside, take the doors on the right, past the coffee shop and go downstairs. Its to the left, down a corridor.
    They mark the way to the lectures pretty well.
    HTH
    Vic

Thanks for that, I'd be running there for 1pm & it's good to have an idea where to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Unfortunately Fridays lecture on the military archives was cancelled at the last minute as the speaker didn't show up.
    On the plus side I presume they'll be a bit more efficient next week at confirming the lecturers so that doesn't happen again.
    Ten past one before they announced the cancellation, at that stage the room was probably less than half full so plenty of spare seats.
    I think they're going to try to rearrange the lecture.

So I've attempted three lectures so far, as christmas2010 mentioned, the Military Archives lecture didn't go ahead. I wonder have they found Cpt. MacEoin yet! I haven't gotten an email about the re-arranged lecture- has anyone else?
    Newspapers as Genealogical Tool- Jennifer Doyle on Wednesday 15th was grand, I use papers a fair bit anyway but it was good to get an overview, particularly on sources for papers.
    Births, Marriages & Deaths- Eileen Ó Dúill today was very good I thought & there was a good turnout! They ran out of handouts in fact so I lost out- it seemed to be the history of the GRO & bibliography. The talk was good, Ms. Ó Dúill was an engaging speaker & didn't get bogged down in personal anecdotes during the Q & A section! Again, I use the GRO alot already but still learned a fair bit.
    If anyone wants more info on these, let me know; I'm a note taker :)

Rhapsody, like you I've used the GRO quite a bit in my research so I'd be interested in hearing about any of the extra information you picked up at the lecture.

• Advertisement

Rhapsody, like you I've used the GRO quite a bit in my research so I'd be interested in hearing about any of the extra information you picked up at the lecture.

Summary of the lecture... I hope it's not too long & I hope I wrote the dates down correctly!:

Speaker- Eileen Ó Dúill
    The gentleman introducing her (Aidan, didn't get his surname unfortunately) mentioned how qualified & experienced Ms. Ó Dúill is etc, has written a book on the inner workings of the GRO, presumably this: http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000181562
    Works mostly in legal genealogy, tracking heirs of landed estates

GRO originally in Custom House, it moved to Joyce House in 1983, then to the Abbey Life Centre in 2007. Civil registration started in 1845, Catholic registration from 1864. People were initially distrustful of the system so some events unregistered. Note 1921+ records for 6 counties are in NI GRO, Belfast rather than Dublin.

Went over opening hours, fees for searches & certs. Showed copy of order cert, mentioned how helpful the staff in GRO are.

* Example of twin birth certs, time of day given on multiple births. In the case of twins (& triplets etc I guess) GRO don’t charge for the second cert.
    * Example of marriage cert, which generally gives a lot of info. Full age = over 21, minor = under 18.
    * Death certs: watch for rounding of ages. 40-> more likely they're estimating, 47-> more likely its a definite age. If a detail on cert e.g. the cause of death is very small, the clerk at GRO will blow it up for you. If an inquest is mentioned, check for a newspaper mention. Gave examples of 1916 heroes who did not have civil death records until recently; the assumption being that their next of kin didn’t register them as a form of protest against the state. Look for other evidence e.g. memorial card/ gravestone.

* There were fines for late registration (over 21 days), so some birth dates would have been altered to get around this. Occasionally you’ll find a baptism cert for a few weeks/ months earlier than civil cert. Ms. Ó Dúill has had occasions where the baptism record has been stronger in court than civil cert.
    * Spelling often an issue. Various versions of surname spellings, as well as Ó and Mac being added to names after the Gaelic Revival. If the bride & groom etc cant spell, they wont realize if the priest/ registrar has listed a detail incorrectly.
    * Final point, use familysearch.org to save going through the indexes in the GRO.

Small points from Q & A:
    - getting a civil cert. altered is difficult! Apparently only the mother can alter a birth cert.
    - births on ships in GRO Roscommon only.
    - reminder of Catholic Emancipation Act 1829, most priests “on the run” before this so unable to keep good records!
    - difficulty with transcription errors
    - stillbirths were generally not registered until The Stillbirth Registration Act 1995. It wouldn’t be registered “unless the child took a breath”.

A few interesting things there. Thanks for all the information.
    Late registration fee interesting.
    As to only the mother being able to alter a civil cert I have a cert on which amendments are made by the father.
    It was done when the child was about 16, maybe it was the first time that the birth cert was needed. This was in 1905. The original cert was completely wrong - surname Kenny instead of Kennedy and several other errors. However they seem to have taken a sworn declaration from the father to amend it.
    Hope to get to a few talks next week.

Did anyone make todays lecture? I was stuck dealing with a problem in the office so I missed it. Gutted!!!

I wasn't at yesterdays I'm afraid, though I was at Jim Herlihy's talk on the RIC today- interesting & long! If anyone's going to this Friday's lecture on the National Archives I'd love to hear about it.

I was at today's talk too. Interesting but I thought he strayed off topic a lot.
    I came to hear about tracing RIC records which was how it was advertised but he seem to spend more time speaking about the Black and Tans and auxillaries and his current research for a new book on this subject.

I was at today's talk too. Interesting but I thought he strayed off topic a lot.
    I came to hear about tracing RIC records which was how it was advertised but he seem to spend more time speaking about the Black and Tans and auxillaries and his current research for a new book on this subject.

Oh yeah he definitely went way off topic! & at the end they pointed out that he hadn't used notes, like it was a good thing! There was no structure & I can't say I learned very much. In saying that, I didn't know much about the connection between the RIC and Black + Tans and Auxiliaries so that was what I found interesting. It wasn't what was advertised though & for people who are just starting off their RIC searching, it wouldn't have helped much. Barely a mention of where to get a service record, or an example of it. I stayed right til the end to ask him about my g.grandad & I'll be emailing him with even more questions so hopefully that might help.

Not sure if people are aware... the lecture notes are now available online...

http://www.eneclann.ie/20x20

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

VicWynne wrote: »
    Not sure if people are aware... the lecture notes are now available online...

http://www.eneclann.ie/20x20

Enjoy

Excellent, didn't know at all and was wondering about it just recently. Thanks ever so much Vic, appreciate it. :)

Advertisement