Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Awarded French War Cross" - research sources ?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm doing (trying to do, really) some research on my GGGrandfather and I have the following notes scribbled down from years ago -

"Joined Irish Ambulance Corps during the Franco Prussian War. Awarded French War Cross. MCh from Catholic University, Dublin. MD from Queens College, Cork."

He was born in 1846, died 1926. So, he would presumably have been in college ~1866.

Does anyone have any pointers to online records for either of the universities referenced above or the Irish Ambulance Corps ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The "French War Cross" immediately made me think of the Croix de Guerre. It took just minutes with Google to find that it did not exist at the time of the Franco-Prussian war. The award was created in 1915: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix_de_guerre.

That would cause me to treat the handwritten note with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, I did a bit of googling after posting that up yesterday and noticed that the Croix de Guerre didn't exist until the first world war.

However, I note that he was still alive until 1926, so it's possible that he was awarded one for services during the first world war. I realise this is pretty unlikely as he would have been ~70 at the time.

It's also possible that he was awarded something else as part of the Franco Prussian war. I'll keep digging.

Does anyone know the relevant organisation within France that might hold details of awards given during that war ?

z

My guess would be that he was decorated, but not with a "French War Cross". So I would also guess that whoever made the handwritten note was not 100% well-informed. That is why I suggested treating it with caution.

Try Google with the search string "franco-irish ambulance". That should keep you busy for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It sounds more like the Geneva Cross, awarded by the Société de Secours aux Blessés Militaires. ( The Society for the Relief of the Military Wounded.) That organization was a forerunner of the French Red Cross.
    Have a look at
    http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/foreignguide/french/geneva_cross.htm
    Rs
    P.

Thanks for the replies to date. Google and their army of scanning-droids are just brilliant - http://ia600306.us.archive.org/30/items/reminiscencesfr00leesgoog/reminiscencesfr00leesgoog.pdf

He's listed as Assistant-Surgeon Ryan, R. on page 17 of the PDF, page viii of the original.

I'll have to print it off and read it to see if there's any specific mention of him in the body of the document.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

reference to another Dr in the Irish Ambulance during the Franco Prussian War being awarded the "Croix Militaire"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2385842/pdf/ulstermedj00107-0025.pdf

A Dubliner who served with another ambulance unit during the Franco Prussian War was awarded the Prussian Iron Cross having previously been awarded the British Victoria Cross.

Thanks for that johnny_doyle.

It looks like my relation and this other doctor served in the same unit of the ambulance - they are both listed on the roll as being in the unit which served with "Col Mocquarts Francs-Tireurs".

z

I got a copy of his obituary from the Anglo Celt newspaper in 1926. It includes this passage - " . . . the French Govemnment later awarded him the French War Cross, an honour only conferred for distinguished service."

So, according to this he got some award alright. It's possible that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre post-1915, but that's pretty doubtful unless the French were doing some tidying up and realised they had forgotten to hand out some awards 40 years previously. It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The alternative is that he got some other contemporary award for the Franco-Prussian war and the obit writer called it "French War Cross" in error because that is what people were familiar with in those times.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    The alternative is that he got some other contemporary award for the Franco-Prussian war and the obit writer called it "French War Cross" in error because that is what people were familiar with in those times.

Sounds right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

zagmund wrote: »
    Thanks for that johnny_doyle.

It looks like my relation and this other doctor served in the same unit of the ambulance - they are both listed on the roll as being in the unit which served with "Col Mocquarts Francs-Tireurs".

z

Mocquart was the man, francs-tireurs was the type of unit.
    Have a read here: http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/franco-irish%20ambulance.pdf
    Rs
    P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement