Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA testing - ancestry

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Is DNA testing useful? Does it tell you anything meaningful about your family background? I was thinking of purchasing it but I'm not sure it is worth it. Can anyone advise?
    Thank you.

EDIT: This is the site I was looking at
    http://www.ethnoancestry.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know a couple of people who've done it and found it useless. The only area I can see of benefit at this stage is if you are, for example, American but you don't know where your family originated, or similarly black and your family has been in another country for a few generations. Then it can tell you things like "west African origins" or "eastern European". If you're Irish and as far as you know, your family has always been, then it'll be completely useless.

That said, the only way DNA testing will improve is if they get masses of sample dna, over time they may be able to say, well, you're Irish and most likely from X county.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Results of a DNA test probably go back a bit far for most family history purposes but following on from the details pinkypinky mentioned they can tell you what the possible location of your more ancient ancestors - i.e. 12,000 years ago. These different groups are established on the basis of a selection of genetic markers markers known as halpotypes.

Another use is to check, for example, the Y dna results for possible modern connections. If you are actually related (through direct male lines) you should share common markers, even if the common link is a number of generation ago.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

So would these tests show up anything that I don't already know? I'm Irish on both sides of the family, going as far back as anyone can remember.
    Would the tests just point to a European ancestry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

#15 wrote: »
    So would these tests show up anything that I don't already know? I'm Irish on both sides of the family, going as far back as anyone can remember.
    Would the tests just point to a European ancestry?

More than likely you'll will find out what haplogroup you belong to, link below. As mentioned above it's only beneficial if there's alot of people giving samples. Who know, you might find something unusual.
    In general Irish genetics hasn't been altered too much since the original inhabitants after the ice age.
    http://www.wikiwak.com/wak/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Linus67

23andMe are a great company to get tested with. They test your Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal DNA. They test your 22 chromosomes and your X DNA.

And with their Relative Finder your can contact your matches, but only if they have agreed to be contacted (a lot of people have opted out to be contacted).

If you agree to share your genomes with someone you match, you can see on what chromosome you match the person. But because of recombination you will not know if you are related to the person through your paternal or maternal side. All you can do is to contact them and see if any of your surnames appear in the other persons family tree.

As well as the Ancestry Edition they also have a Health Edition which tells you if you carry genes that increase your risks of certain diseases.

The costs are -

Ancestry Edition - $399.00

Health Edition - $429.00

Complete Edition - $499.00

Shipping {by Fedex) is a further $70. (that includes the cost of returning your DNA).

Though it is expensive I would recommend the Complete Edition.

https://www.23andme.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fontinalis wrote: »
    More than likely you'll will find out what haplogroup you belong to, link below. As mentioned above it's only beneficial if there's alot of people giving samples. Who know, you might find something unusual.
    In general Irish genetics hasn't been altered too much since the original inhabitants after the ice age.
    http://www.wikiwak.com/wak/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA)

Your link doesn't work. How do you mean by in general Irish genetics haven't altered since the original inhabitants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Your link doesn't work. How do you mean by in general Irish genetics haven't altered since the original inhabitants?

This should work.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA))
    The claim about genetics not being altered was made by Bryan Sykes. In general irish have the same ancestry as people from the Iberian Peninsula, betetr explained below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Sykes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Can they test through the X Chromosome? I thought they did the male one only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

WindSock wrote: »
    Can they test through the X Chromosome? I thought they did the male one only.

Yes, that is mitochondrial DNA testing. It was used by Brian Sykes for his book Seven Daughters of Eve where he claims that modern inhabitants of Western Europe are descendants of 7 females.
    I read the book below recently, gives a good overview of genetic ancestry.
    http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Man-Genetic-Odyssey/dp/0812971469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265135380&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BullyBeef

I agree with most of the reply’s that have been posted, I can add that there’s various company’s, projects & costs involved depending on what way you go.
    Both male & female testing is possible , what I will point out is the following, obviously we all have 2 parents one of each gender ,so we have 4 grand parents being comprised of 2 of each gender .
    A dna test will basically follow your direct male or female ansestor linage & its very true what’s been mentioned regarding the female final end result.
    To get a true picture of a persons direct family really requires to search further than just your own parents dna, obviously that becomes incredibly expensive, & you would need to find relations to help like for example a brother of your mother to show her male dna line etc.
    Next comes the paper trail most people are not quiet who they believe they are when researching ancestors ,some paper trails start to expose this but so can the dna route so via whatever way you travel be prepared to uncover things that at first may not be what you expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Mac222

I see the website 23andme has dropped in price dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mac222 wrote: »
    I see the website 23andme has dropped in price dramatically

Been $99 for couple years now. Tbh though from my own experience FTDNA (FamilytreeDNA) are better -- bigger Database, wider selection of tests, ties to National Geographic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mac222

dubhthach wrote: »
    Been $99 for couple years now. Tbh though from my own experience FTDNA (FamilytreeDNA) are better -- bigger Database, wider selection of tests, ties to National Geographic etc.

From family DNA , my father is anxious to go for the full package , would you recommend ? what type of info do you get ?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mac222 wrote: »
    From family DNA , my father is anxious to go for the full package , would you recommend ? what type of info do you get ?

B

Well it really depends on what you are looking for. I will say DNA can be an expensive hobby. In case of a man there are three basic types of testing:

1. Y-Chromosome testing (starting with STR's), looks at direct male line -- will see if the man matches other men (or belongs to any specific clusters) within the testing database
    2. mtDNA -- looks at mitochondrial DNA which is inherited from mother (direct female line)
    3. Autosomal DNA testing (like 23andme) looks at the 44 non sex-linked chromosomes, usefull for finding cousins (up to about 5-6th cousins).

Obviously FTDNA do all three types of tests. As well as more advanced versions such as the National Genographic "Geno 2.0" (done with National Geographic) and "BigY" ($695 -- sequence of large section of Y)

What I would say is you are often better getting a basic enough test to start out with which gets the sample into storage with the lab, afterwards you can "upgrade" with additional tests (particularly when there are sales/special offers).

As it's your father, the minimum test I would do would probably be the 37STR test, if he could afford 67STR's would be better, but 37 is usually a good starting point.

https://www.familytreedna.com/y-dna-compare.aspx

Obviously if he belongs to a large genetic cluster (such as R1b-M222 -- assocaited with the Uí Néill and Connachta) then an upgrade would narrow number of matches.

There are numerous projects (both surname and geographic) that a ftdna member can join, these can be useful.

Personally I did DNA testing as I was interested in DNA (not really for genealogical reasons). Interesting enough I ended up been part of quite a small genetic cluster with some connections to some interesting surnames.

N.B. I'm a volunteer admin of two Y-Chromosome projects in FTDNA, I've tested with them (111STR's, multiple Y-SNP's etc), 23andme (Autosomnal and mtDNA) and "Full Genome Corp" (full Y-Chromosome sequence in last case)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

dubhthach wrote: »
    Been $99 for couple years now. Tbh though from my own experience FTDNA (FamilytreeDNA) are better -- bigger Database

In terms of autosomal testing, which is what 23andMe offers, this is false. 23andMe's database is far larger.

Advertisement