Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ports of departure

Options
  • 12-06-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi can anyone tell me where ulster scots emigrants would have left (i.e. ports) :confused:in the 1600's and 1700's.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I'm not sure if your talking about America or from Scotland but I know In Scotland they set up four main ports and I think they were wigtown,Kirkcudbright, Ayr and I canny mind the other one it began way a c I think... But if you really want to know where your ancestors are from just goto proni in belfast and look at the estate that your ancestor lived on and it'll tell you when they came and where they came from fir example on 16th may 1618 John smith came from wigtown and leased 40 Irish acres In the parish of Bangor under hamiltons estate etc I've seen some samples and that's what it was like infact it was a very good resource as it gave the exact townland In Scotland that they came from!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowland_Clearances intresteing I didn't know this happened!! Although I suspect my ancestors probably came here because of religious persecution especially since most started converting at 1590 just 30 years before but it's also possible they wanted more land LOL which they didn't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 barbarax

owenc wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your talking about America or from Scotland but I know In Scotland they set up four main ports and I think they were wigtown,Kirkcudbright, Ayr and I canny mind the other one it began way a c I think... But if you really want to know where your ancestors are from just goto proni in belfast and look at the estate that your ancestor lived on and it'll tell you when they came and where they came from fir example on 16th may 1618 John smith came from wigtown and leased 40 Irish acres In the parish of Bangor under hamiltons estate etc I've seen some samples and that's what it was like infact it was a very good resource as it gave the exact townland In Scotland that they came from!
    I meant which ports in Northern Ireland, I was thinking of Bob saying his ancestor went from Carrickfergus was this a main port or did people have to go to Londonderry??????????? as Carrickfergus is on the east side of NI???????? can't seem to find anything which tells me:confused:

barbarax wrote: »
    I meant which ports in Northern Ireland, I was thinking of Bob saying his ancestor went from Carrickfergus was this a main port or did people have to go to Londonderry??????????? as Carrickfergus is on the east side of NI???????? can't seem to find anything which tells me:confused:

oh right well some left from coleraine and some left from belfast as well as the londonderry city port. You can look online. But does he know what date they arrived? if so take off about six weeks lol.. But i dont know which one because theres tons of them.

Advertisement