Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pipe (Corrib Gas documentary) Megathread

• 05-12-2010 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I saw The Pipe movie which opened last night for limited run. It traces the objection to the Corrib gas pipeline and witnesses the tenacity of those involved It is a very fine production in the fly on the wall documentary style. It's another national shame that this situation has been let go this far without resolution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

mgmayo wrote: »
    I saw The Pipe movie which opened last night for limited run. It traces the objection to the Corrib gas pipeline and witnesses the tenacity of those involved It is a very fine production in the fly on the wall documentary style. It's another national shame that this situation has been let go this far without resolution.

I saw it too. It consists of film footage taken in Kilcommon, North Mayo over the last four or five years and tells a very sad story. It clearly shows that the Corrib Gas issue is NOT just a local issue. It is a NATIONAL DISGRACE that ordinary Irish people have been treated in this fashion in the Irish government's pursuit of giving away our natural resources to foreign Multi-national companies. More people across Ireland need to sit up and take notice. The Pipe the film is showing in your local area NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Folks,

Just letting you know of a film about the Shell to Sea controversy made over 4 years by reporter and filmmaker Richard O'Donnell. Richard took his camera everywhere it could go. I remember a report about a fishing boat attacked and boarded by Shell security men a few years back. The camera was there. Showing now in Dundrum, IFI, and Lighthouse.

Heres a synopsis:
    In a remote corner of the West of Ireland sits Broadhaven Bay. It is
    the perfect picture postcard, where the high cliffs of Erris Head and
    the Stags of Broadhaven stand sentry at the mouth of the bay against
    the mighty Atlantic, as if protecting the delicate golden sands of
    Glengad beach and the tiny village of Rossport, which nestles behind
    the dunes. However, this peaceful tranquility belies the turmoil that
    lies beneath, and the unique nature of the coastline which has
    sustained generations of farmers and fishermen, has also delivered to
    Shell Oil the perfect landfall for the Corrib Gas Pipeline.
    In the most dramatic clash of cultures in modern Ireland, the rights
    of farmers over their fields, and of fishermen to their fishing
    grounds, has come in direct conflict with one of the worlds most
    powerful oil companies. When the citizens look to their state to
    protect their rights, they find that the state has put Shell’s right
    to lay a pipeline over their own.

The Pipe is a story of a community tragically divided, and how they
    deal with a pipe that could bring economic prosperity or destruction
    of a way of life shared for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I went to see a film in the ifi on friday and they showed the trailer for this documentary. Looks seriously volatile, should be good. Looking forward to seeing it.

tunguska wrote: »
    I went to see a film in the ifi on friday and they showed the trailer for this documentary. Looks seriously volatile, should be good. Looking forward to seeing it.

Me too. The director is a very interesting guy. Initially a very serious boxer, he turned his attentions to mountain running. He is possibly the best descender in Ireland coming from behind many times to win races.

Hes a very dedicated journalist. Ive no doubt it will be comprehensive.
    There was a good bit of trouble during the filming....all on tape it seems.

T runner wrote: »
    Me too. The director is a very interesting guy. Initially a very serious boxer, he turned his attentions to mountain running. He is possibly the best descender in Ireland coming from behind many times to win races.

Hes a very dedicated journalist. Ive no doubt it will be comprehensive.
    There was a good bit of trouble during the filming....all on tape it seems.

'The Pipe' is not a regular film with actors playing parts etc.. There are no actors. It is a freelance news cameraman, Risteard O'Domhnaill who, coincidentally holds his degree in Theoretical Physics from Trinity College, Dublin, who lives in Mayo and often came running with his camera equipment when issues arose related to the Corrib Gas debacle which has been ongoing for more than ten years now. Still no pipeline laid onshore connecting the sea with the 'Frank Fahy & others brown envelope' refinery built 10 kms inland on Coillte land, with no permission to access the privately owned land inbetween. A real genuine FF gombeen politician mess - politicians who thought they could give away everything - including what they didn't own in the first place.

No actors. This is a film documentary and tells the story from the end of 2005 to early 2009. Much has happened since including poor Pat O'Donnell being sent to prison for seven months in 2010 on trumped up charges to get him removed from the sea. He was charged with loitering on the sea because he refused to be bought off by Shell and he's a fisherman!

I felt sick when I saw the footage as in 2006 when the protests took place each morning to the gates of Bellanaboy because it brought back those terrible memories of being abused and battered by the forces of the State and the victimisation of the local people who stood against the unodourised, high pressure, raw gas pipeline being forced onto their small farms and small bits of land by outsider and foreign forces. Its a sad story which shows the reality of life for the people of one small corner of Ireland for the last ten years. Everybody should see this film if they think the rest of the people of Ireland won't be treated in the same way in the future if they ignore it and mock it as being untrue or unreal.

A very important film documentary in your local cinemas now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I heard there's some pretty unflattering footage of Maura Harrington at a meeting in it.

I heard there's some pretty unflattering footage of Maura Harrington at a meeting in it.

No actors there. This is real documentary footage. Why don't you see for yourself? You might learn how real communities work, squabbles and all! This footage only went to 2008. When the next one comes out you might see how a real community is stronger than mere squabbles. Ten years after this thing started and seven years after the gas was going to be flowing, they are not one bit further on in reality - no planning permission, no pipeline, no route, no consent, no gas. Don't hear -see for yourslef.

I saw it last night. One of the best scenes you'll see in any film anywhere this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lemula

The Pipe is a extraordinary insight into the reaction of the local people to Shell's plans, whether you agree with this type of development or not. The film shows that it's not just the 'wrong crowd' who show up to demonstrate for what they believe in. Yes, some of those featured choose to go further than others, but it's high time we stopped letting that claim cloud the real and genuine voices of dissent from these ordinary hardworking people.

Shell refused to take part in the documentary so it's not a balanced view by any stretch, but this is a beautifully made, sensitive and thought provoking film. I'd urge anyone fed up with the current climate to go see it, and think about what can be achieved when communities pull together.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Brilliant film, saw it last week and recommend it to everyone no matter what political persuasion. It's much more than a documentary of protest it is a beautiful snapshot of the lives of Irish fishermen and farmers, their families and their communities; if it was subtitled from French they'd be queuing for tickets round the block ;) If you get a chance go see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Patrickon

Yeah, The Pipe is a really important and beautiful film, so relevant for the current political climate. Well worth going to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Iorras55 wrote: »
    No actors there. This is real documentary footage.

We're all aware that it's a documentary and they're real people. I never said anything about actors being in it.

You should lay off the lecturing or you'll start putting people off seeing the film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not sure i want to watch it, sounds like it's going to be pretty one sided, which would suggest propoganda to me. A balanced documentary would be well worth making on the subject.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not sure i want to watch it, sounds like it's going to be pretty one sided, which would suggest propoganda to me. A balanced documentary would be well worth making on the subject.

The film follows the protest more or less and takes it from the point of view of locals. As people said you can judge for yourself if you are persuaded or not.

The cinematography, the David vs Goliath themes, the effect of such a clash of cultures which is clearly something that is replicated around the world, how people react confronted with a crises, waht hidden tensions and chasms are revealed by such a crises: all these themes are beautifully captured and as such it is a really beautiful film. Shell and teh governments side have been clearly documented by the vast majority of media reporting to date.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

T runner wrote: »
    The film follows the protest more or less and takes it from the point of view of locals.

Point of view of all the locals or only the ones against it??

Edit:Not trying to start an argument or anything(wrong forum for a start :P), will most likely watch it at some point, but quite a few poeple I know aren't against the pipe line at all and the general consensus from anyone I know involved is most of the protestors and those kicking up a fuss were not from the immediate area or even from the county in some cases. If I were to express the general opinion most mayo people have of Maura Harrington and her actions I would probably get banned.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Point of view of all the locals or only the ones against it??

Edit:Not trying to start an argument or anything(wrong forum for a start :P), will most likely watch it at some point, but quite a few poeple I know aren't against the pipe line at all and the general consensus from anyone I know involved is most of the protestors and those kicking up a fuss were not from the immediate area or even from the county in some cases. If I were to express the general opinion most mayo people have of Maura Harrington and her actions I would probably get banned.

Ah i Know, were just chatting. The protest actually split between Maura Harrington etc and another group who were following less extreme lines: Shell illegally entering land to survey, breaches of European Law etc.

As far as I could see the locals who were directly affected by the Pipe were adamently against it. The film just captures what happenned from these peoples viewpoint. Whether one agrees with their viewpoint or how the film portrays them is important, but the films strenght is that it beautifully records this conflict whatever side we take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I wonder have many people seen the documentary film The Pipe. It was only shown for one night at my local cinema and I didnt mange to get to see it but it was shown last night on TG4. I have to say it was one of the best documentary films I have ever seen. I know it was very one sided but it made my blood boil and it made me very angry (maybe that was the films intention). A stunning piece of work. It made the Guards look really really bad except for one or two fellows.

The version shown on TG4 is drastically different from the one which played cinemas. From what I've been told, they edited a lot of the content out and the Irish speaking woman featured throughout is absent entirely from the cinema cut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've merged this with two other threads that were hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The version shown on TG4 is drastically different from the one which played cinemas. From what I've been told, they edited a lot of the content out and the Irish speaking woman featured throughout is absent entirely from the cinema cut.

Thanks! I might try and check out the cinematic version now to see how they differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

I have just wanted to ask you all, how come it was different? Couldn't find any info about this online... I had seen the "English" version in Bray a couple of weeks ago, went home, and raved about it to my husband. Then sat down last night to watch it with him on TG4... Quite a surprise. Equally good, but why make two versions, I wonder? One for the home crowd, one for the outside world? :)

Possum66 wrote: »
    I have just wanted to ask you all, how come it was different? Couldn't find any info about this online... I had seen the "English" version in Bray a couple of weeks ago, went home, and raved about it to my husband. Then sat down last night to watch it with him on TG4... Quite a surprise. Equally good, but why make two versions, I wonder? One for the home crowd, one for the outside world? :)

TG4 provided funding for the project and I believe that in the contracts it demanded aan Irish version of the film aswell as an hour long cut. It's a common enough stipulation for documentaries partialy funded by broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Iorras55 wrote: »
    No actors there. This is real documentary footage. Why don't you see for yourself? You might learn how real communities work, squabbles and all! This footage only went to 2008. When the next one comes out you might see how a real community is stronger than mere squabbles. Ten years after this thing started and seven years after the gas was going to be flowing, they are not one bit further on in reality - no planning permission, no pipeline, no route, no consent, no gas. Don't hear -see for yourslef.

Maybe Lewbowski already knows how "real communities" work. Like many on this thread, I have an interest in seeing this film, but your tone to JB, intentionally or not, is coming across as very smug and patronising.

I can appreciate a person being very passionate about something, as you seem to be on this topic, and moreso if they have a local interest in the topic, but it is coming across in a negative manner somewhat, and it would be a shame to see that overshadow anyone's interest in seeing the film who has not seen it in the cinema or on tv yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

It won best doc at last nights IFTA'..deservedly so in my opinion. It really is a great film. Loved the directors speech too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Anyone know if it's available to watch anywhere on the net? I missed the TG4 version and missed the screening at the Galway Film Festival.. :(

Dying to watch it!

Anyone know if it will be released on DVD anytime soon?

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's available to watch anywhere on the net? I missed the TG4 version and missed the screening at the Galway Film Festival.. :(

Dying to watch it!

Anyone know if it will be released on DVD anytime soon?

You might find it still being shown in Ireland although most screenings now seem to be foreign ones.

Link to current screenings: http://www.thepipethefilm.com/main-sect/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

The pipe will be screened in the riverbank arts centre in Newbridge co.kildare on Thursday the 12th may if any body is interested in going tickets can be got through there website.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

on more4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

For any one who missed this the last night on more 4 or who just hasnt seen it here ye go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKQf8hVNnA&feature=fvsr

In full on youtube and definately worth the watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I found the whole film very funny seeing them cultchies going mad, it was gas :pac:. In all reality though this film is a propoganda film and is so when sided that I can't take it serouis.

Advertisement