Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genetic Genealogy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

what results did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Linus67

My ancestors were Irish.

its a ridiculous amount of money to spend

Yes, it is quite expensive. I would only suggest it to serious genealogists who have exhausted all leads and have hit a brick wall.
    I would recommend ordering the 37 Marker test as it tells you a good bit of information.

it only tells you the y chromozone link...

• Advertisement

If you want to find out the percentage of what People you descend from the only good company out there that does it is called 23 and Me. Though most of their testing is about what genetic diseases you might inherit. And it is very very expensive. They won't be able to tell you your most recent Genetic matches, unlike Family Tree DNA.
    It is $399 plus $70 for postage. Here is the link -
    https://www.23andme.com/ancestry/

Family Tree DNA also test Mitochondrial DNA which is passed down from females to both sons and daughters, but sons do not pass down their mother's mtDNA to their children. A man or a woman can order this test. It will see what mutations you have. There are three different tests.
    The test HVR1(16001-16569), HVR2(00001-00574) or the Full Genome Sequence (FGS). The FGS test is very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nellumr

nellumr wrote: »

Family Tree DNA actually tests for the National Genographic Project.

You only get 12 Y-DNA markers tested, though it will tell you what people your male line descends from.

And it only tests the Hypervariable Region 1 (HVR1: 16001 to 16569) of your mtDNA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I did the National Geo test last year and had to pay an extra €43 for customs charges for the DHL delivery from the 'States.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

oisin1978 wrote: »
    Anything interesting in the test if you don't mind me asking?

I never found out. I put away the sticker with my test number in a "safe place" and never managed to find it since !

NG have no way of matching members up to test results so there ya go !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think the problem with the vogue for dna testing is that not everyone is doing it. I know a few people who've done and found it absolutely useless. They got information like "most of your ancestry is western European". The sample that the dna testing company has was not is not big enough to give any detail. For someone whose ancestry already appears confines to the British Isles like me, those tests wouldn't be sensitive enough to identify a place within that area to further assist with genealogy. Obviously if you believed there was massive migration in ancestry (i.e. Colin Jackson on the BBC wdytya), then it would probably be of interest but for Irish people, it's not going to do much good. I do expect in the future it will get better and they'll have a bigger sample pool but, for now imo, it's just a slightly wacky "part you from your money" genealogy con.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danoH

If you use a company like Ancestry they do provide information about ethenicity %Irish %Scottish etc but will also notify you when they find DNA matches from wherever - as possible 1st 2nd cousins - useful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Generally, we don't resurrect very old threads unless there's a really good reason, because other posters might not realise how old it is, and information may no longer be relevant.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement