Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Calling Card

• 13-09-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Just heard Tesco Calling Card is being discontinued.
    mainly use it for State and UK. Any Alternative recommendations?
    No whats app or viper!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This market is all but dead - I think Swiftcall are still going but there's not much online about rates etc.

SkypeOut is an option to call actual phone numbers if you have a PC or any grade of smartphone; call quality will (usually) be superior too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Three offer 200 minutes for €10 as an add on to any bill pay plan.

It can be a one off addition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I need one also for a neighbour who is near 90 years young and only has L. line.
    I did pick up a Swiftcall solo voucher from PO today but as L1011 said nothing anywhere about rates. we shall see how it goes.

thank guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

why no viber or WhatsApp you can use both on phone or computer get the other party to download some broadband plans include free calls to usa and uk you could try skype

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

I use keepcalling.com 1c/minute.
    It has pinless dialling and speed dialling which are very handy.
    WhatsApp etc aren't that popular in the US

• Advertisement

thanks for info on keepcalling.com but we are trying to avoid signing up for accounts etc.

With tesco call card you just have to dial access number, enter pin and your chatting at 1c p/min.
    I just got Swiftcall solo voucher, same system but its charging 5 c per min.

and a friend who was trying to help presented me with a Lyca voucher....not realizing that it seems you have to get a new sim for your mobile (which we dont use for our intl calls), etc. i would have some reservations about that . does your number change? , can you return to your old O87 sim if needed with no problem etc...

...no smart phones here!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With Lyca, you change to the network - you keep your number, but you can't just swap back to your old network.

Dual SIM phones exist, but are rather more complicated - its very easy to accidentally make a call on the "wrong" network. And they're all smartphones of some description.

Thank you mod, that is really helpful to know. you might have saved me and a friend from a world of pain there. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

thanks for info on keepcalling.com but we are trying to avoid signing up for accounts etc.

With tesco call card you just have to dial access number, enter pin and your chatting at 1c p/min.
    I just got Swiftcall solo voucher, same system but its charging 5 c per min.

and a friend who was trying to help presented me with a Lyca voucher....not realizing that it seems you have to get a new sim for your mobile (which we dont use for our intl calls), etc. i would have some reservations about that . does your number change? , can you return to your old O87 sim if needed with no problem etc...

Keepcalling isnt a subscription service, you top up up with 5, 10 euro or whatever you want, same as you would with payg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Advertisement